• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

We should absolutely schedule WSSU for whatever part of the schedule we need a get-right game (like after finals) with no penalty in the NET.

I believe these schools count the same as playing the worst d1 school. Which is bullshit, because you can beat some of these NAIA and D3 schools by 60 easily and it counts just like it would beating NJIT.

Mountain West plays a ton of these games against schools with like 200 students.
There has to be something more to this... that means playing Notre Dame at home right now is the same as playing Barton College in the quad system?! If you get Q4 credit for a non-D1 team, why would you ever schedule a likely bottom-half D1 team at home?

We could have swapped Charleston Southern/NJIT/Delaware St./Presbyterian for WSSU/Catawba/Wingate and Davidson (110 KP/140 Torvik) and had a stronger SOS? Is that correct?

I am aware of how well the MWC has optimized their schedule, but I did not realize this component of it. They are scheduling smarter than almost anyone in the ACC, which is insane.

There has to be something more to this... that means playing Notre Dame at home right now is the same as playing Barton College in the quad system?! If you get Q4 credit for a non-D1 team, why would you ever schedule a likely bottom-half D1 team at home?

We could have swapped Charleston Southern/NJIT/Delaware St./Presbyterian for WSSU/Catawba/Wingate and Davidson (110 KP/140 Torvik) and had a stronger SOS? Is that correct?

I am aware of how well the MWC has optimized their schedule, but I did not realize this component of it. They are scheduling smarter than almost anyone in the ACC, which is insane.
Non D1 schools do not count toward NET rankings.

I believe these schools count the same as playing the worst d1 school. Which is bullshit, because you can beat some of these NAIA and D3 schools by 60 easily and it counts just like it would beating NJIT.

Mountain West plays a ton of these games against schools with like 200 students.
And I guess “a ton” is relative. They play 8 as a conference which is more than most “other” power conferences play. Of potential bubble teams I believe they play 3 total this year which is lower than last year

Has anyone noticed Clemson is killing it? Undefeated through 9 games with some impressive win margins over good teams. Looking like they are a conference title contender finally. They went deep into the season last year near the top but fell off about the last 3 weeks.

Someone will say “NET rankings don’t matter right now” but I completely disagree as our own coach has confirmed (and is using heavily in his own on court strategy) so -

Wake moves up from 105 to 88 last night. Got to think in large part thanks to Friedrichson’s contributions to our efficiency and win margin. Need to find a way to see two more similar jumps before conference play.

St Mary’s (4-5 on the year) has the biggest jump of anyone moving up 62 spots (147 to 85) by beating undefeated Colorado State (AP #13, NET #7) on the road 64-61. Massive win for them, the kind that will put you in the mix for bubble discussions.

Washington’s home win 78-73 over AP #7 Gonzaga only gives them a 6 spot bump (61 to 55).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure this has been addressed, but what is a good NET target for making the NCAAT?

Non D1 schools do not count toward NET rankings.
Correct. It doesn’t count as a game at all for ratings or for a quad win (or loss)
That was my initial assumption. So doesn't it make sense to play WSSU/Catawba instead of NJIT/Delaware State?

Since you eliminate all of the horrendous downside (a loss tanks a bubble team) by giving up a tiny bit of upside (you may outscore the 25-point margin needed to help your metrics)?

Unless there is some penalty the selection committee puts on teams that have 1-2 less qualifying games on a resume, I have no idea what you would schedule the bottom-100 teams the way we have.

The D2 games don’t even count towards your record for NCAAT purposes, to the extent that even matters.

How is Xavier still 45 in KP & 70 in NET. No matter what teams we lost to, I feel like we'd drop to 150 in a heartbeat if we were 5-5 LOL

Yeah, from a sheer final score/efficiency look at the end of each of our wins, we really couldn't have lost any of them. We definitely could've won at least 2 of our losses, and possibly 3 if you want to include Utah. Unfortunate that we went 0-3.

Just another season where Bart and his merry band of stat nerds ruin basketball before conference play starts. See everyone next year.
I don't think it takes a stat nerd to realize that ACC teams losing to schools like DePaul, Chattanooga, USF, Western Carolina, UMass Lowell, and Loyola Chicago is bad! And maybe if the conference didn't have a third of its teams losing to terrible teams like that it would get more respect!

Doesn't help that the team that lost to UMass Lowell already went on to beat one of the conference's best teams (Duke). Dragging the top down with them!

FWIW, here are the updated conference records against out of conference foes.

Big 12...101-22...821. Mountain West...75-29...721. B1G...78-31...716. ACC...87-35...713. SEC...92-38...707. Big East...71-34...676. PAC...71-35...670.

At this point the Big 12 seems deserving of more bids than the other six conferences. The Big East and the PAC get fewer bids than the other five conferences. B1G, ACC, SEC seem equal. I penalize the MWC to equal footing with the Big East and PAC. I just don't buy what the MWC is selling and their record in the Dance is unimpressive.

If prior tournament success is factored in the ACC (8) and the Big East (8) lead in championships this century. The Big 12 (3), SEC (3) and B1G (1) account for the others.

Back