• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

For decades, I've grown accustomed to the late season slumps that we have in February. Doesn't seem to be the case this year, which is quite nice for a change.

3-1 the rest of the way for sure gets us in. 2-2 should still do the trick, but we'd probably need to win an ACCT game as well just to be on the safe side.
It’s almost like there was a path all along.

I'm not all that confident 2-2 gets us there. 2-2 would either be failing to add any more Q1 wins or adding at least one pretty awful loss. 2-2 probably requires a significant win in the ACC tournament, certainly to avoid Dayton.

Yeah, y'all don't want to come up here! UD Arena is fine and all but....it's Dayton.

However, if we do have to play here I can be your local travel agent and tell you where to stay and, maybe more importantly, where NOT to stay!

I think 2-2 with an away win and a home win, and one win in the ACCT should still get us in. I wouldn't want to depend on it, but it's not like I haven't seen teams get in with worse resumes in the past.

Playing around with Torvik's Teamcast tool, if Wake goes:

4-0: 6 seed
3-1: loss @ VT: 7 seed, loss vs Clemson: 8 seed, loss @ ND: 7 seed, loss vs GT: 8 seed
2-2: losses @ VT, vs Clemson: 10 seed, losses @ND, @VT: 10 seed, losses @ND, vs GT: 11 seed, losses @ND, vs Clemson: 10 seed, losses @VT, vs GT: 10 seed, losses vs GT, vs Clemson: 11 seed
1-3: OUT in all scenarios

2-2: losses @ VT, vs Clemson: 10 seed, losses @ND, @VT: 10 seed, losses @ND, vs GT: 11 seed, losses @ND, vs Clemson: 10 seed, losses @VT, vs GT: 10 seed, losses vs GT, vs Clemson: 11 seed
Interesting, Torvik gives Wake's resume a lot more credit than I am thinking that the committee will.

Wake is in a very rare place though with such high rating in the metrics and such a limited amount of high quality wins. It's hard to know exactly how this committee is going to handle a case like that.

My wish list:

1: Make the dance
2: Not be in a play in game
3: Not be an 8 seed (could be fine if we’re Purdue’s bc the Big Ten is overrated)
4: Preferably not UT’s 7 seed if they’re the 2

I want no part of Purdue UConn or Houston in the second round. But beggars can’t be choosers so. Let’s just win out and get the 4/5 seed and the sweet 16 matchup there instead!

Our players and coaches have a message of taking it one game at a time, and they're calm about it all. Only if us fans could have a similar approach. But we definitely can't hah

It's amazing how in exactly a week (and two basketball games) this board has gone from full on despair to planning for what seed would be best to make a run to the Sweet Sixteen.

Things change fast!
it's almost like we are very damaged basketball fans after not just the lost decade, but literally all of our bball history

Our players and coaches have a message of taking it one game at a time, and they're calm about it all. Only if us fans could have a similar approach. But we definitely can't hah
It's honestly the opposite, as fans it would be cool if we could be better about seeing the bigger picture. This team wasn't dead in the water last Tuesday morning and it isn't suddenly golden this morning. Forbes wasn't on the verge of deserving to be fired last Tuesday and he isn't on the verge of earning a lifetime extension this morning.

But I get it, being reactionary is more fun

It's amazing how in exactly a week (and two basketball games) this board has gone from full on despair to planning for what seed would be best to make a run to the Sweet Sixteen.

Things change fast!

It’s because the last 3 years we’ve had quality teams that we’ve all thought could win a game in the tourney, but the biggest hurdle has somehow just been getting in. Now we feel like THIS team is capable of being top 15, yet once again just getting in is up in the air.

No, but there was a sense of urgency last Tuesday morning that this team desperately needed to beat Pitt and Duke at home to be on the right side of the bubble and anxiety that they wouldn't. It's not "reactionary" for fans of a bubble team to be on edge.

No, but there was a sense of urgency last Tuesday morning that this team desperately needed to beat Pitt and Duke at home to be on the right side of the bubble and anxiety that they wouldn't. It's not "reactionary" for fans of a bubble team to be on edge.
That’s fine. I wasn’t trying to say everyone that was worried was being reactionary.

Yes please. Won't get that unless we go 2-1. 2-2 will be a last four in best case scenario. We have work left

Back