• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

Yeah, at least none of the bubble teams really did anything of note today, all the wins were games teams were expected to win, and some stubbed their toes a la TCU.

Still, not getting my hopes up at all unless we make the ACCT final

Who is your preference on opponent for Wednesday? I prefer GT as they seem much weaker defensively than ND. Realize Wake lost to both recently, but if Wake gets opportunity for a shootout, I’d take that over the alternative.
I prefer GT. I legitimately don’t think we have anyone who can stay in front of Burton on ND (who, by the way, dropped 24 in a loss at Cassell today)

From Les: “Finishing at 11-9 this season, Wake Forest has gone .500 or better in ACC play for three-straight seasons for the first time since 2002/03-2004/05, under Skip Prosser.”

ACC Tournament tickets aren't in large blocks anymore, they are spread out in much smaller allotments throughout the arena for each school, so each school gets tickets in all price zones.

This team absolutely should have been a top-4 seed. Fortunately we'll have the chance to prove it by hopefully getting to play the #4 that took our spot.

I get that we are wildly inconsistent, but so is Pitt, and of all the options, this PATH represents a very good opportunity for us to make it to Friday.

Maybe all the uncertainty behind us will help. In other words, up till now it's been "if we win this one, we might get in; if we lose this one, we're back on the bubble," etc. Gets exhausting, probably for the team, too. There's some clarity and simplicity to 'win and keep playing, lose and you're done.' Just go out and play fun basketball and let the chips fall.

From Les: “Finishing at 11-9 this season, Wake Forest has gone .500 or better in ACC play for three-straight seasons for the first time since 2002/03-2004/05, under Skip Prosser.”
I miss the days when you could go 7-9 and make the tournament

Win both here and I think we’ll have a justification to be in the tournament but if we don’t get the bid it’s on us

This is setting up a lot like 2022 when we thought "all we have to do is beat BC and we should be in", but we were MUCH further from the bubble than any of us realized.
eh, there was probably a lot more confusion about the NET back then. that team was rated #48 on NET (30 spots higher than the Rutgers team that made the NCAAT), but only had 1 Q1 win and 4 Q2 wins. That was a laughably weak resume for a bubble team. This year's team has 2 Q1 wins and 6 Q2 wins. Currently rated #37 on NET. Still in a questionable spot, but they are in the ballgame. That 2022 team was never in it.

I miss the days when you could go 7-9 and make the tournament

I saw that back when the tourney expanded to 64, it included 23% of D-1 teams. Now 68 is 18% of D-1 teams. Which is why there’s expansion to 80 talk.

Would be nice to get that Florida Q1 win back. Sucks they lost to a horrible Vandy team. I know the committee doesn’t place a ton of weight on conference tourney but picking up another Q1 vs Pitt would be huge just for the quad perspective

I saw that back when the tourney expanded to 64, it included 23% of D-1 teams. Now 68 is 18% of D-1 teams. Which is why there’s expansion to 80 talk.
Adding 50-60 teams from D2 to low majors probably shouldn’t change anything. It’s a nice talking point to expand for more money and means they probably will.

Adding 50-60 teams from D2 to low majors probably shouldn’t change anything. It’s a nice talking point to expand for more money and means they probably will.

That’s not quite what changed things. Several teams going from mid majors and independents to power conferences through expansion changed things.

That’s not quite what changed things. Several teams going from mid majors and independents to power conferences through expansion changed things.
That’s fair. But if we are intellectually honest (the discussion isn’t) we should probably quote the percentage of the teams from the top 6 conferences making it rather than the percentage of overall D1, which is irrelevant.

That’s fair. But if we are intellectually honest (the discussion isn’t) we should probably quote the percentage of the teams from the top 6 conferences making it rather than the percentage of overall D1, which is irrelevant.

Sure. But that’s not what I saw and the percentage of power conference teams in the tournament varies every year. We all know there are dramatically more power conference teams and only four more at large bids.

Back