• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: wheelin & dealin

Dbacks-Rangers World Series is the only one that the nation wants to see.
Bleh. That screams one of the lowest rated Workd Series ever. Two teams with no national following and little to no historical success. No one outside of DFW and Phoenix would give a shit about that series.

I mean it's pretty clear the playoff system is totally broken. There's no chance this many elite regular season teams flaming out 1st round is a coincidence after rust. Baseball is the most streaky, momentum driven sport in the world, and requiring the best teams to sit around and do nothing while other teams get to play, win, and build momentum is very stupid.

It should absolutely be 1 wild card and 7-7-7. Regular season needs to matter.
So, you lose and the system's broken. Would you feel the same if you won?

Two years in a row that 3 of the top 4 teams in baseball didn’t advance. It’s still a smallish sample size but that’s unusual. This year the top 3 teams in baseball combined to go 1-9 in the playoffs.

I agree with you that the division series (and onward) should be 7 games. Regular reason needs to go back to 150 games or something like that to make it work. Can’t be playing baseball into mid November.
Yep. Why the hell do we all sit through 162 games now? Almost every team that finished above .500 made the playoffs so what are we doing here?

Yep. Why the hell do we all sit through 162 games now? Almost every team that finished above .500 made the playoffs so what are we doing here?
I agree. I love the playoffs, the World Series is one of my favorite events, I always go out of my way to watch October baseball. I’ve watched five or six full games over the past week. But I didn’t watch a single regular season game this year. I could care less if they played 120, 150, or 162. Play enough to identify the best teams and then get me to the playoffs.

Two years in a row that 3 of the top 4 teams in baseball didn’t advance. It’s still a smallish sample size but that’s unusual. This year the top 3 teams in baseball combined to go 1-9 in the playoffs.
And it's happened in the only 2 years of the current playoff system.

Oh well. This is why Braves have songs written about them. Least I don’t have to go to the battery to watch a major sporting event again until April. Guess I’ll focus on undefeated FSU and 49ers now. Countdown to Pitchers report…

I mean in 2 games that Ranger Suarez started the Braves scored a grand total of 1 run. Full stop, that's why we lost.

Bullpen management and pitching performances in this series were one thing, but the best offense in baseball was held entirely in check and it just wasn't even close to good enough.

Probably not if the Braves were the 5th or 6th seed, as I’d be excited to still be alive, despite a broken system. Otherwise, yes.

For the entire history of MLB, the playoff only expanded as the number of teams expanded and they were able to play each other less in the regular season. Until 2011, when the new CBA went wacko. Even then, the 1 game wild card is a lot better than this current mess, as it’s far less time off for teams who actually won their division and earned their way in.

Probably not if the Braves were the 5th or 6th seed, as I’d be excited to still be alive, despite a broken system. Otherwise, yes.

For the entire history of MLB, the playoff only expanded as the number of teams expanded and they were able to play each other less in the regular season. Until 2011, when the new CBA went wacko. Even then, the 1 game wild card is a lot better than this current mess, as it’s far less time off for teams who actually won their division and earned their way in.
The biggest contributor to the problem, imo, is the divisional setup, which drives the seeding. Get rid of divisions, top 4 teams from each league make the post season, two 7-game series to make the WS. 162 games without divisions will yield seedings that are a better reflection of the quality of the teams (without as many divisional game I think that Phillies would have finished ahead of the Brewers and Jays ahead of the Rangers, for example).

Geographic divisions are meaningless with modern scheduling, so it's kind of bullshit that teams like the Rays and Phillies need to essentially play their way into the divisional series when they played in objectively tougher divisions than the AL West, for example, and had a better record in the case of the Rays.

I mean in 2 games that Ranger Suarez started the Braves scored a grand total of 1 run. Full stop, that's why we lost.

Bullpen management and pitching performances in this series were one thing, but the best offense in baseball was held entirely in check and it just wasn't even close to good enough.

This. Can't score; can't win.

Sorry to say, but the best power hitting team in baseball went out with a wimper.

Choke job? Yes.

The biggest contributor to the problem, imo, is the divisional setup, which drives the seeding. Get rid of divisions, top 4 teams from each league make the post season, two 7-game series to make the WS. 162 games without divisions will yield seedings that are a better reflection of the quality of the teams (without as many divisional game I think that Phillies would have finished ahead of the Brewers and Jays ahead of the Rangers, for example).

Geographic divisions are meaningless with modern scheduling, so it's kind of bullshit that teams like the Rays and Phillies need to essentially play their way into the divisional series when they played in objectively tougher divisions than the AL West, for example, and had a better record in the case of the Rays.
Agree with this. Is even further compounded with balanced scheduling. You could theoretically get rid of not just divisions, but even the AL and NL.

My beloved Orioles went down the hitter in 3. dodgers out in 3, Atlanta in 4. Sheesh.

Braves exercise $20 million option to bring back Charlie Morton in 2024.

Braves exercise $20 million option to bring back Charlie Morton in 2024.
It's not inspiring, but I think it's the right call. Especially with Wright out for 2024, we need guys that can give us innings.

It almost certainly will not be the only SP added to the 2024 team.

It’s definitely the right call. $20 mil doesn’t get you much anymore and he’s a solid #3. It’s actually probably a bargain.

Anyone have any idea what AA is cooking right now? Surely not Ohtani, is it?

Back