• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

I can't believe we traded CMC and then used the picks for a fraction of bryce and dj johnson
I have no problem with a team that has a bad or even mediocre roster trading away the best RB in the NFL that is approaching his late twenties. With where the Panthers were when that trade was made, I think the decision to do it was fine. And while the return wasn't stellar, I don't think it was horrible.

But the way in which we squandered the assets that we got in that trade makes the whole thing a lot worse. Trading away your best player for draft picks and then failing to hit on those draft picks is how bad franchises stay bad.

I have no problem with a team that has a bad or even mediocre roster trading away the best RB in the NFL that is approaching his late twenties. With where the Panthers were when that trade was made, I think the decision to do it was fine. And while the return wasn't stellar, I don't think it was horrible.

But the way in which we squandered the assets that we got in that trade makes the whole thing a lot worse. Trading away your best player for draft picks and then failing to hit on those draft picks is how bad franchises stay bad.

Bingo. No idea why this has to be brought up everytime the 49ers play a game. This is 100% spot on.

RB is the single most replaceable position in all of professional sports. It would have been malpractice to let his prime years rot with this franchise and get no return.

The CMC trade was the first step in a teardown that was unnecessary AND poorly done.

still, you can't help but wonder what a Wilks-coached team with Baker, DJ, and CMC would've looked like this year

still, you can't help but wonder what a Wilks-coached team with Baker, DJ, and CMC would've looked like this year
Exactly. Just like you can wonder what a better coach than Reich coached team with CJ Stroud would have looked like.

The CMC trade was the first step in a teardown that was unnecessary AND poorly done.
The unnecessary part is certainly debatable.

At the time of the CMC trade, the Panthers were 1-5 in the 2022-2023 season. The previous three years, the Panthers were 5-12, 5-11, 5-11. They lacked a dependable QB and had a limited number of impact making players outside of CMC, who was regularly missing significant time with injury.

Just because Steve Wilks won half his games over the end of that season doesn't mean that the roster was ready to be competitive moving forward given the players and draft assets that the Panthers had.

Traded CMC AND DJ for a fraction of Bryce and DJ Johnson.

Steve Wilks isn't some football savant and he went .500 with those guys. He was better than Rhule though.

if it helps - it sounds like tepper is going to back off and let canales cook

the only trade fitterer definitely SHOULD have taken was burns for 2 firsts
That trade is and was so obviously a slam dunk accept that I still question whether it was really on the table.

At the very least, I assume that at least one of those picks was either conditional or way out in the future

I have honestly never wondered that and really don't care to. The absolute ceiling would be the same as this years Bucs team if I had to guess. Would prefer to go the rebuild route everytime over a team with a low ceiling.

(we just drafted the wrong QB)

Keep in mind the Rams were going all-in at the time. They had traded two 1st (2020, 2021) and a 4th for Jalen Ramsey. Then traded the next two 1st (2022, 2023) in the Stafford trade. It's possible they offered the 2024 and 2025 1st for Burns.

Keep in mind the Rams were going all-in at the time. They had traded two 1st (2020, 2021) and a 4th for Jalen Ramsey. Then traded the next two 1st (2022, 2023) in the Stafford trade. It's possible they offered the 2024 and 2025 1st for Burns.

I believe someone confirmed this. Maybe Rodrigue? It was a '24 and '25 1st

Supposedly Souleman (sp?) was the one guy pushing to make the Burns for 2 1sts trade, and got overRhuled. He kept harping on it hence why he was let go along with Fitterer, despite having kept the team in good cap shape as one of their positives. That is my biggest concern with Morgan at the moment - the fact that he wasn't lumped in with Souleman and was actually promoted, are we in for more of the same dumbass decisions going forward.

Back