• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

Both of them led their teams in Super Bowl seasons.

I mean, Wentz was the MVP in his second year before he broke — don’t think that was bad scouting
Yeah but were they really coveted prospects or it’s like well we gotta take a QB? The only other first rounder was Paxton Lynch.

I don’t recall a lot of enthusiasm for them but it could be hindsight clouding that.

There wasn't much enthusiasm. I don't remember hearing about either of them during the college season until they showed up at the top of mock drafts. Most of the top QBs that year weren't eligible for the draft. I don't remember why Mayfield didn't go pro.

There wasn't much enthusiasm. I don't remember hearing about either of them during the college season until they showed up at the top of mock drafts. Most of the top QBs that year weren't eligible for the draft. I don't remember why Mayfield didn't go pro.
Yeah from relatively anonymous programs. Whereas this year the top 2 QBs are from two of the best programs and the other two are Ess Ee See.

Absolutely. If it doesn’t work out it should at least be more entertaining than the last four seasons have been.
If Carr sucks after year one you’d be ready to move on since that’s probably his ceiling. If a rookie sucks year one you can be optimistic for a sophomore leap and using your picks and free agency to give him more to work with.

So Jacoby Brissett on a 1-year deal to start the first few games and usher CJ into the starting role?

There's no real point to do any ushering with this high of a pick at QB, I 100% suspect whoever we take will start Game 1. The transition isn't that hard these days.

Also will be interesting to see the futures odds for the division -- I know a whole offseason to take place but I imagine we'll probably be about the lowest odds of any team ever starting a rookie QB, though I suspect the Saints will be the favorite. Mainly a reflection on the terribleness of the division but still will be an interesting season having some expectations

What the hell are the Bucs doing at QB? Feel like there’s been nothing or are they thinking Brady’s back?

What the hell are the Bucs doing at QB? Feel like there’s been nothing or are they thinking Brady’s back?

Basically what we’d be talking about if not for having the #9 pick.

There's no real point to do any ushering with this high of a pick at QB, I 100% suspect whoever we take will start Game 1. The transition isn't that hard these days.

Also will be interesting to see the futures odds for the division -- I know a whole offseason to take place but I imagine we'll probably be about the lowest odds of any team ever starting a rookie QB, though I suspect the Saints will be the favorite. Mainly a reflection on the terribleness of the division but still will be an interesting season having some expectations
Completely disagree

You seem to be completely ignoring the human psychological aspect of this whole thing. I don't care which QB the Panthers have set their eyes on - go get that dude, you bought/earned it.

But to then just assume throwing them to the wolves instead of letting them watch and learn on the sidelines in just crazy to me.

First, you start this rookie DAY 1 then everyone is going to say that guy is the messiah. And anything short of miracles is a failure. Sounds psychologically stressful to me...

I would beg of the Kitty Kats, and future #1 draft pick teams, to consider that they are drafting a person that has emotions, insecurities, and doubts. Don't throw them to the wolves. That would be so, so, so, SOOOOOOO stupid.

The Panthers got Frank Reich to usher Kerry Collins in. They brought in Derek Anderson with Cam but I don't remember any real QB competition in camp. It will be interesting to see how they handle this.

Couple things dv:
*This isn't the typical squad a #1 pick would be walking into -- one of the better OLs in the league down the stretch last year, talented D to fall back on where the O shouldn't have to do too much.

*All these highly-drafted rookie QBs end up playing within a few weeks of the start of the season. Does standing on an NFL sideline 3ish times before going out to start really make that much of a difference?

*I'm guessing a QB who has started for Ohio State or Alabama and an incredibly high level (and been compensated for their performance) can handle the stress of being an immediate NFL starter.

Plenty of QBs have been great right away, Cam especially who was in a similar high-stress, big-game situation in college, and more recently a dude like Herbert who sat for all of one week had similar success. No reason one of these dudes can't do the same

Couple things dv:
*This isn't the typical squad a #1 pick would be walking into -- one of the better OLs in the league down the stretch last year, talented D to fall back on where the O shouldn't have to do too much.

*All these highly-drafted rookie QBs end up playing within a few weeks of the start of the season. Does standing on an NFL sideline 3ish times before going out to start really make that much of a difference?

*I'm guessing a QB who has started for Ohio State or Alabama and an incredibly high level (and been compensated for their performance) can handle the stress of being an immediate NFL starter.

Plenty of QBs have been great right away, Cam especially who was in a similar high-stress, big-game situation in college, and more recently a dude like Herbert who sat for all of one week had similar success. No reason one of these dudes can't do the same
One of the better OLs, yes. But zero WRs, zero TE threats, and a currently-unsigned journeyman RB. It is arguably easier to backfill those skill positions than the O-line, but combine that mess with the usual rookie QB learning curve, and this season is going to suck ass. As I've said on here for years, DJ Moore stinks as a #1 WR, getting rid of him is fine. So I like the confidence of making this move and the compensation was fine because giving him up is better than giving up another 1st. But this is the wrong year to do it, none of these QBs is anything special. Hold your wad one more year. Premature ejaculation at its finest.

Unless I guess the plan is to draft Stroud, shelve him Corral-style for one year so nobody sees how bad he is, then use him as throw-in trade bait to get Williams or Maye next year.

Back