• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Football Scholly Tracker | In: Roberts (A&T LB), Ganious (Nova DT), Merrill (Vols WR)

Smaller schools like Wake are going to have to live with losing players in football. And I understand it is the big revenue sport. But Maybe we should load up our nil money and rent us 3 or 4 5 star basketball players. Does it make more sense to spread the money out? Or try and be a force in one sport? Or another thought, wait until the portal has been drained and grab up alot of 3 ☆ depth in football.

Smaller schools like Wake are going to have to live with losing players in football. And I understand it is the big revenue sport. But Maybe we should load up our nil money and rent us 3 or 4 5 star basketball players. Does it make more sense to spread the money out? Or try and be a force in one sport? Or another thought, wait until the portal has been drained and grab up alot of 3 ☆ depth in football.
Personally, I’d rather be good at football than bball but I know that opinion is in the minority. I also readily admit that we have a much easier road to being continuously relevant in bball (despite the football v. bball results in recent memory).

Personally, I’d rather be good at football than bball but I know that opinion is in the minority. I also readily admit that we have a much easier road to being continuously relevant in bball (despite the football v. bball results in recent memory).
Ten years ago yes, but I think Wake like most every other fanbase has lost a lot of interest in college bb outside of March-April. I get that home football games aren't apples/apples to bb, but the fact that we can draw around 25K vs. VMI in football and can barely get 1/2 that vs. UNC in bb with plenty of baby blue in attendance is a good example.

I love how Drake’s Twitter message was something like “Cmon you know I could never leave this place!” But yeah you just went through a dog and pony show entertaining tons of other offers. If Carolina hadn’t come close to matching you’d still say the same?

That’s why I feel like the “once a Tar Heel always a Tar Heel” type mentality of college sports is going away. Thats old fashioned. I’m sure he likes UNC but making that comment feels largely inauthentic.

thought Newman was on the team for at least a year and a half before he got his chance to start when Hartman got hurt
He played behind Wolford, I believe. He was pegged to be the starter but got hurt in preseason, so Hartman became the starter until he broke his leg. Then Jamie was the starter.

I love how Drake’s Twitter message was something like “Cmon you know I could never leave this place!” But yeah you just went through a dog and pony show entertaining tons of other offers. If Carolina hadn’t come close to matching you’d still say the same?

That’s why I feel like the “once a Tar Heel always a Tar Heel” type mentality of college sports is going away. Thats old fashioned. I’m sure he likes UNC but making that comment feels largely inauthentic.
I get that perspective. And I would have it to if I didnt know better in this one case. But remember Drake didn't ask for offers by going into the portal. He's never even mentioned the portal. These offers came in absolutely unsolicited - and by the way illegally - to his representation by programs that are completely out of control. I think Drake is getting less than half from UNC than the biggest offers that came in for him. And not only that, he really only wanted NIL from UNC so that he would have enough to spread out over his offensive linemen and receivers etc.

are you saying Drake is going to be paying his linemen and receivers personally?
This is common. Many if not most of the well-paid NIL QBs do this. Sam Howell did it and that set the precedent at least at UNC. I'm not so sure Hartman didn't also do it albeit to a much lesser degree.

Even if the QB didnt feel it was the right thing to do, you do not want offensive linemen resenting how much you're making and give less than 100% to block for your rich ass.

I get that perspective. And I would have it to if I didnt know better in this one case. But remember Drake didn't ask for offers by going into the portal. He's never even mentioned the portal. These offers came in absolutely unsolicited - and by the way illegally - to his representation by programs that are completely out of control. I think Drake is getting less than half from UNC than the biggest offers that came in for him. And not only that, he really only wanted NIL from UNC so that he would have enough to spread out over his offensive linemen and receivers etc.
This is fair enough, and I understand you have personal relationships with his family, but you were posting a few days ago about how the size of NIL offers was really making him consider leaving UNC. So yeah, it feels inauthentic for him to tweet "could never leave this place" when he clearly was considering it. He could have sent that tweet last week and shut down the NIL rumors that surrounded him before they even started, but he waited until UNC (presumably) found more NIL money for him.

Not that there is anything wrong with maximizing his NIL money from UNC, but imagine if Clawson leveraged offers from other schools to get more money from Wake then tweeted that he was a Demon Deacon and could never leave Wake. It would (rightly) feel pretty fake, and I don't see why it's all that different from the player side of things in today's NIL football landscape.

Not going to argue the point. Nothing inauthentic about that kid. I won't belabor it. Naive maybe to how this all works now at 19 years old. But aren't we all.

But I will say this. Doesn’t seem inauthentic to turn down massive offers so you can stay where you were committed. But that’s just me.

The main thing is just how out of control college football in particular is right now.

Last edited:
Not going to argue the point. Nothing inauthentic about that kid. I won't belabor it. Naive maybe to how this all works now. But aren't we all.

The main thing is just how out of control college football in particular is right now.
Yeah, I have no intentions of personally attacking the kid's character. Just wanted to point out that he clearly leveraged NIL offers from other schools to get more NIL money from UNC. In today's landscape that is a totally acceptable thing to do, and I'm sure UNC fans prefer that to him transferring to Alabama or whatever.

And in all honesty, the elitist UNC fans will 100% buy the message that UNC is so great that he would never leave. But he, like anyone else would, had a price as to what it would take to transfer and therefore that tweet isn't reality.

i think he was telling the absolute truth in the Tweet.

But let’s move on from Maye.

Something has to be done about all the tampering and NIL blatant cheating the rules. I’ve heard that changes in terms of it being policed are coming and some ADs think penalties will be retroactive.

Last edited:
i think he was telling the absolute truth in the Tweet.
It's a dumb thing to argue about, but when you posted the tweet you literally said: "UNC has stepped up. $$$"

Now you are making the argument that he would have stayed regardless of whether UNC paid him a better offer? Maybe there's truth to that, but there's definitely no way to know or to be certain about it.

This is common. Many if not most of the well-paid NIL QBs do this. Sam Howell did it and that set the precedent at least at UNC. I'm not so sure Hartman didn't also do it albeit to a much lesser degree.

Even if the QB didnt feel it was the right thing to do, you do not want offensive linemen resenting how much you're making and give less than 100% to block for your rich ass.
Did we finally get the answer to why our OL started sucking ass? Hartman didn’t pay them enough?

It is not a minority opinion. College football has swamped college basketball. College football is now a year round sport. People go to bball games or mostly watch on the tube, while they check The Portal. Millions watch College bball in March, while figuring out when the spring game is. College bball is now a one month season.

The landscape has changed so much, especially for a coach like Mack Brown and his ilk. Hell, maybe even Saban. Older guys who have relied on their salesmanship and recruiting skills to bring in players. For many their edge came in the living rooms. Now, it mostly doesnt matter its just "how much you gonna pay me?". And yeah, I realize the auto-response is “players getting paid ain’t anything new” but this is so completely different. Does the coach even matter anymore?

Back