• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 in Memoriam

Deaconblue

Reaction score
Paper had a recap of all the legendary sports figures who passed away in 2023.

Notable guys who are in my personal sports Hall of Fame. (No particular order.)

Jim Brown
Billy Packer
Dick Fosbury (high jumper)
Willis Reed
Bud Grant
Vida Blue
Tim McCarver
Bob Knight.
Chris Ford
Charles White
Gil Brandt
Dick Butkus
Bobby Hull
Tim Wakefield

Yet Ron Wellman lives.
You are so bad…

I have shifted, slightly, in my attitude toward Billy Packer, due in large part I suspect to his son whose show I’ve come to like.
Billy undoubtedly had an attitude that at least came across as an ass a lot of time, but I’ve come to accept him as a great Deacon. He may be an ass, but he was our ass, and who knows what might have happened if he’d been given that chance to be our head coach.
Thanks, Billy, for being a Deac.

My personal interactions with Billy Packer were very unpleasant. So be it…it’s not like he was Bobby Hull. A legitimately bad guy and probably idolized by 22/8184.

Trying to figure out why Tim McCarver is in anyone's personal HoF.
For his post playing years broadcast career, in addition to his career as a catcher. Particularly as Steve Carlton's personal catcher when Lefty was one of the top pitchers in baseball.

I wonder if Coach Prime waters the flowers covering McCarver’s grave

Terry Holland
Denny Crum
The Iron Sheik

I had many interactions with Billy Packer over the years and all were positive. Billy was a true Deac.

I had many interactions with Billy Packer over the years and all were positive. Billy was a true Deac.
He might come across as arrogant, and unlike a lot of announcers, he went out of his way not to be a homer. But so what. He was a great Deac and the voice of college hoops for 3 decades - and a great 1 at that. My favorite college color guys of all-time are him, Elmore and Gminski.

He might come across as arrogant, and unlike a lot of announcers, he went out of his way not to be a homer. But so what. He was a great Deac and the voice of college hoops for 3 decades - and a great 1 at that. My favorite college color guys of all-time are him, Elmore and Gminski.
Billy didn’t want the broadcast to be about him like Vitale and I think told it like he saw it. Pretty much every school thought he was bias against them and that was probably a sign he did a good job.

Last edited:
Billy didn’t want the broadcast to be about him like Vitale and I think told it like he saw it. Pretty much every school though he was bias against them and that was probably a sign he did a good job.
Yeah, he was overly critical and I don’t think any player on any team ever did anything correctly, but I learned a lot about basketball listening to him call games.

I saw Gminski at the gas station the other day. Still alive.

Back