• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 MLB Thread -- World Champion Rangers - Hot Stove Warming Up - Soto to the Yanks - Ohtani's destination unknown

Pilchard

Reaction score
With the WBC Final Tonight (the tourney has been excellent -- unless you are a Mets or Astros fan), time to start the 2023 MLB Season thread.

There have been some rule changes:

So far, the pitch clock has been positively received as Spring Training games have averaged around 2:30. Also, seems like there has been more contact with the shift changes and based on the fact that pitchers have to work quicker.

One note on the shift ban: the ban does not apply to the positioning of outfielders; in Spring Training some teams have moved an outfielder to shallow RF and essentially play with two outfielders, which could lead to more extra base hits...

Last edited:
I'm a huge Mets fan and I think this tournament has been amazing. The Diaz injury sucks, but guys get injured, it's sports. Guys have been injured in spring training, guys get injured in non-baseball activities, and guys get hurt in the first month of the MLB season. It sucks but it doesn't mean you shouldn't play for your country.

Although Mexico fell to Japan on a walk-off yesterday, Randy Arozarena had a good time in Miami last night..

I was surprised to see Mexico in the semis -- don't think of Mexico as a big baseball country

Looking forward to the game tonight. It'll be the last baseball game I watch with baseball, the old, slow way.

Even as an Astros fan, the WBC has been absolutely fantastic. I hate that Altuve got hurt, but he just as easily could have gotten hit by a pitch in spring training. Anyone who thinks the WBC isn’t great for the game of baseball is an asshat.

I've had a really good time watching as well. The sped up play and enthusiasm is great to watch in a sport that has been void of that for quite some time.

Love the pitch clock changes but think the shift is weird in general. I don't like the idea of banning positions where defensive players can stand - you should be able to do whatever you want defensively that works and isn't an unsporting advantage IMO

I hate that the shift ban is necessary more than I hate the decision to implement it. I think it will be a net positive. It's hard to dispute that the pitch clock is a positive, but it has to be done right. I would allow umpire discretion as to when the clock starts, i.e. if a guy sees 98 up and in and gets thrown to his feet, give him a second to get his composure before stepping in, but don't allow a guy to go for a walk in the park between pitches. I would increase the clock up to about 20 seconds and allow the pitcher and hitter each to call time once in an at-bat. It's not that we want the game to look rushed, or at least I don't, we just don't want entire minutes between pitches.

and the pitch clock should be suspended, or at least increased, in the 8th, 9th, and extra innings, IMO

Not sure if the pitch clock has been well received? Games are faster, sure, but the issues it brings up have been glaring. There’s a reason why they’re already discussing changes.

The one factor about the pitch clock that I wonder if MLB teams will regret is that if really shortens games by 35+ minutes, doesn't that mean less time for fans to pay for over-priced beer, dogs, peanuts etc? Doesn't that mean less programming time for games? Guess/think /hope that the Ivy Leaguers in MLB front offices have run the numbers and decided that the bump in fan interest will more than offset the lost time to sell product, but it does seem somewhat counterintuitive to change the rules to reduce the time that the MLB audience is captive to whatever the MLB wants to peddle.

There have been several Spring Training games that are over in 2:30, and a 30 minute programming slot reserved for baseball is being used to sell hearing aids. Is that good for baseball?

Not sure if the pitch clock has been well received? Games are faster, sure, but the issues it brings up have been glaring. There’s a reason why they’re already discussing changes.
I think it has been very well received. The first version of something very rarely is the best, and it's natural that there will be some tweaking, but I think the concept in general has been a big hit.

There have been several Spring Training games that are over in 2:30, and a 30 minute programming slot reserved for baseball is being used to sell hearing aids. Is that good for baseball?
When I was a kid, and I'm only 22, SNY would allocate 2.5 hours for Mets games and the TV guide would say "Mets Post Game" from 9:30-10. Every year, less and less games would actually finish around 9:30 and they eventually pushed the game window to 3 hours and the post game to 10. They will just undo that change, it's not like they'll have a blank screen for 30 minutes.

Regular season games will also be longer because there are more mid inning pitching changes and replay reviews.

Back