• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 MLB Thread -- World Champion Rangers - Hot Stove Warming Up - Soto to the Yanks - Ohtani's destination unknown

I’m not opposed to the pitch clock. It’s been working well in the minors and people are getting used to it. I have hardly noticed it at minor league games I’ve attended.

I am hating seeing the pitch clock on TV during these spring training games. I’d rather it just be running in the background. I don’t want to see it. I don’t like the sense of urgency it creates and I don’t want to worry about whether the pitcher will get the ball off or not. It’s not an integral part of the game for the TV viewer. I am hoping TV broadcasters will eventually decide they don’t need to show it on screen at all.
THIS! I went to a ton of Wake games last year and I don't think I noticed the pitch clock once. Now you have MLB analysts counting it down live like a shot clock. It should be there in the background as a guardrail and not a part of the viewing experience. I have been saying this since the first day of spring training.

Where is he really gonna wind up? Dodgers or Yankees?

Maybe my Cubs will get involved.

I could have stepped in for 100 pitches of Shohei last night and I don't think I make contact once. That fastball is by you before you know it and seems to have a lot more "run" then most, aka it doesn't sink and messes up your eye level, and the slider is just impossible to hit unless you're selling out for it.

I could have stepped in for 100 pitches of Shohei last night and I don't think I make contact once. That fastball is by you before you know it and seems to have a lot more "run" then most, aka it doesn't sink and messes up your eye level, and the slider is just impossible to hit unless you're selling out for it.
Bold take

Dude on the WFAN in NY has advocate that the Champ of the Japan League should be invited into the MLB post season. They would play by MLB rules, start against the #1 seed in the Divisional Series and seee how far they can go. One year the AL side, next NL. I think the idea is solid. Thoughts??

Dude on the WFAN in NY has advocate that the Champ of the Japan League should be invited into the MLB post season. They would play by MLB rules, start against the #1 seed in the Divisional Series and seee how far they can go. One year the AL side, next NL. I think the idea is solid. Thoughts??

Nope. No thank you. Pass

Sounds great in theory but to me the history of NL and AL and baseball in general has already taken a big enough hit. I would not at all be opposed to a 3-game exhibition between the two champions a couple weeks before opening day in non-WBC years, however. Alternate between the Tokyo Dome and Field of Dreams.

That’s absurdly dumb. Let’s just have the AL and NL All-Star teams play a best of 7 and crown a league champion.
The WBC is also only every 3 years so we randomly have some foreign team in it every 3 years and that’s it?

The idea is to see if Japanese baseball would be competitive with what we claim is the best baseball in the World. Exhibition games, all star team competition doesn’t do that at all. Sign a five year contract with Japan to see how it goes. If it doesn’t work, scrap it. But why wouldn’t it? It would attract world wide attention to baseball as an international sport and bring together all the best players in the World. And why do we believe MLB has taken a hit? This WBC competition has been great for the sport. Aren’t we baseball fans tired of seeing baseball playing 2nd fiddle to football, both here and abroad?

Last edited:
The idea is to see if Japanese baseball would be competitive with what we claim is the best baseball in the World. Exhibition games, all star team competition doesn’t do that at all. Sign a five year contract with Japan to see how it goes. If it doesn’t work, scrap it. But why wouldn’t it? It would attract world wide attention to baseball as an international sport and bring together all the best players in the World. And why do we believe MLB has taken a hit? This WBC competition has been great for the sport. Aren’t we baseball fans tired of seeing baseball playing 2nd fiddle to football, both here and abroad?
I mean, I’m not gonna tune in to watch the Japanese team play the Astros and I’m baseball fan. Also, what do you do when another country’s best player is also on an MLB team?
You also didn’t get the suggestion. They were suggesting putting the team in the playoffs. Not having them play a series against whoever wins the World Series. The latter is fine if they want to do that. You don’t randomly place a team in the MLB playoffs though. Especially at the expense of an MLB team.

I wouldn’t be interested in watching the World Series Champ play a series against anyone after a completion of the season. Players have no interest and neither do the Owners. To what end? It would/could only taint the achievement. But placing the Japanese Champ from the only truly competitive league to MLB (not players, team’s) would heighten the interest in the post season. And would one less crappy team in the MLB playoff really be a problem? Scrap one of the wild card teams with the worst record and put the Japanese in the one game playoff. The rule changes arengoing to change the game for the better. This would do the same.

That’s a (hard) no from me, dawg

I wouldn’t be interested in watching the World Series Champ play a series against anyone after a completion of the season. Players have no interest and neither do the Owners. To what end? It would/could only taint the achievement. But placing the Japanese Champ from the only truly competitive league to MLB (not players, team’s) would heighten the interest in the post season. And would one less crappy team in the MLB playoff really be a problem? Scrap one of the wild card teams with the worst record and put the Japanese in the one game playoff. The rule changes arengoing to change the game for the better. This would do the same.
I misread. I thought the comment was about putting the WBC Japanese team in, not the Japan League Champ. It’s still stupid though.

I mean, I’m not gonna tune in to watch the Japanese team play the Astros and I’m baseball fan. Also, what do you do when another country’s best player is also on an MLB team?
You also didn’t get the suggestion. They were suggesting putting the team in the playoffs. Not having them play a series against whoever wins the World Series. The latter is fine if they want to do that. You don’t randomly place a team in the MLB playoffs though. Especially at the expense of an MLB team.
Players on the Japanese league champion would not be on an MLB team, because they play for the team that won the Japanese league. A national team is not the same as a club / domestic league team. Christian Pulisic plays for an English soccer club but the US national team, for example. Baseball works the same.

Players on the Japanese league champion would not be on an MLB team, because they play for the team that won the Japanese league. A national team is not the same as a club / domestic league team. Christian Pulisic plays for an English soccer club but the US national team, for example. Baseball works the same.
Yes, I mentioned above this that I read it wrong and thought they meant the WBC champion team.

and the pitch clock should be suspended, or at least increased, in the 8th, 9th, and extra innings, IMO
Pretty much every sport has a “shot clock/play clock” of some sort and hasn’t been harmed. (Except hockey which is fast paced anyway) Baseball is far too mired in old traditions and the pitch clock was needed badly. Who wanted to see Nomar step out every pitch to adjust his damn batting gloves? Or pitchers throw over to first 8 times. Miss the great days of Maddux & Gibson two hour games. Let’s get back to it.

So you're going to take the revenue from an MLB team that's played all season to get the wild card and tell them no thanks...we are going to let the Ham Fighters take your spot ?
And scrap one of the wild card tems ? like the Padres and Phillies who played in the NLCS last year ?
This is dumb on so many levels. No one wants to see a bunch of guys they've never heard of in a playoff series.

Honestly i was out when it started with "a dude on WFAN".

Last edited:
Back