• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 MLB Thread -- World Champion Rangers - Hot Stove Warming Up - Soto to the Yanks - Ohtani's destination unknown

Man, I forgot about de Grom to the Rangers. Hell of a way to open the season, although he is out of the division.

Opening Day 2023: 21 stolen bases in 23 attempts.
Opening Day 2022: 6 stolen bases in 11 attempts.

Average game time yesterday: 2:45. Last time MLB games averaged 2:45 or less? 1984.
Pitch clock and pick off limits doing work.

Pitch clock doing what it is supposed to do, both to hitters and pitchers and catchers.

Who knew some major league hitters could learn to get their batting gloves on and properly adjusted prior to stepping into the batters box?

What a revelation that pitcher and catcher can agree on a pitch type and get it thrown in less than 15 seconds.

I don't like the pick off attempts limit. Cat and mouse between good base stealer and pitcher can be entertaining. The limit pretty much gives a good base stealer second base. It will also increase first to third movement on base hits. At the very least, the number of attempts allowed need to go up.

Pitch clock and pick off limits doing work.

Pitch clock doing what it is supposed to do, both to hitters and pitchers and catchers.

Who knew some major league hitters could learn to get their batting gloves on and properly adjusted prior to stepping into the batters box?

What a revelation that pitcher and catcher can agree on a pitch type and get it thrown in less than 15 seconds.

I don't like the pick off attempts limit. Cat and mouse between good base stealer and pitcher can be entertaining. The limit pretty much gives a good base stealer second base. It will also increase first to third movement on base hits. At the very least, the number of attempts allowed need to go up.
I think I agree with your general premise, but the counter is that given more chances, pitchers would just throw to first more to get around the pitch clock. Feeling winded or indecisive? Lob one to first.

I do think I agree that another throw over doesn’t completely eliminate the gains of faster play.

Sooner or later, a game is going to be decided on a pitch clock/batter in the box violation, and its going to suck big time.

Ninth inning, 1 run game, bases loaded, 3-2 count, the crowd is hyped, and the ump decides the batter is taking too long to get ready and he calls a third strike with no pitch thrown; likely caused be some weird ambiguous mix up. It already happened in Spring Training, and it will inevitably happen in a regular season game. There will be an uproar.

Can see the pitching clock getting extended or turned off in the ninth. Love it for the vast majority of the game, but you never would want the ump to decide the winner and loser with no action being played. MLB will need to figure it out before post-season because as good as these new rules are (and I think they are really good), the World Champion shouldn't be decided on something like that.

boiling take: make the game 8 innings and get rid of the extra inning runner rule.

for late inning issues, could just do something kinda like in football where a team can use a timeout in lieu of a 10 second run-off.

Sooner or later, a game is going to be decided on a pitch clock/batter in the box violation, and its going to suck big time.

Ninth inning, 1 run game, bases loaded, 3-2 count, the crowd is hyped, and the ump decides the batter is taking too long to get ready and he calls a third strike with no pitch thrown; likely caused be some weird ambiguous mix up. It already happened in Spring Training, and it will inevitably happen in a regular season game. There will be an uproar.

Can see the pitching clock getting extended or turned off in the ninth. Love it for the vast majority of the game, but you never would want the ump to decide the winner and loser with no action being played. MLB will need to figure it out before post-season because as good as these new rules are (and I think they are really good), the World Champion shouldn't be decided on something like that.
I too don't want a game decided by a pitch clock violation by either pitcher or batter.

Also don't want runners to get free bases because of pick off attempt limitations. Two attempts and a decent base runner gets an extra 4-5 feet of lead.

if they are taking such a big lead, then try to pick them off anyway. haven't seen enough to provide a complete judgment, but conceptually i love the rules and the early results are pretty solid as well.

the second order of making stolen bases more effective are also huge, in a positive way, as well.

I think we may see some sloppier catching this season. First to second is 4.5" shorter, pick off limit, etc. More "cheating" by catchers to try and get a guy running.

I am a fan of the pitch clock, but my biggest problem isn't the length of the game, it's the amount of action. Guys make no attempt to put the ball in play anymore, they only care about exit velocity. The amount of people who say batting average doesn't matter anymore is astounding. I'm a Mets fan, but listened to the Yankees game yesterday because I went to high school with Volpe their shortstop making his debut. I think there were 32 Ks in that game. There were several 20-minute periods where the ball wasn't put in play once. Their clown radio guy said that it was ok that one of their guys grounded into a double play, because it was a 100MPH exit velocity double play. Lmao. Statistically, fans want to see guys on the basepaths, stolen bags, doubles, triples, great defensive plays, plays at the plate, etc., but because some nerds think the only way to score is hitting home runs, we no longer play real baseball.

Teams are never going to disregard these analytics, as much of a self-fulfilling prophecy as I think they are, so something needs to change. MLB must incentivize contact and putting the ball in play. Banning the shift is a start, and imo the biggest part of that is requiring all four guys to have their feet on the infield dirt. I'm really hoping that over time the shift ban changes the analytics enough that putting the ball in play is once again seen as the way to score runs. I also think MLB needs to adjust their ball to limit spin rate, and most controversially I think there needs to be a lower limit on the number of pitchers you can have on your roster, so guys are inclined to pitch to contact again to go deeper in games. Years ago, exiting in the fifth would be embarrassing, but now it's celebrated as long as you recorded 10Ks in those 5 innings.

How has Matt Brash literally putting Jose Ramirez on his ass not been mentioned here yet? Just pure filth.

It also broke over 3 feet vertically.

That doesn't seem even physically possible.

I am a fan of the pitch clock, but my biggest problem isn't the length of the game, it's the amount of action. Guys make no attempt to put the ball in play anymore, they only care about exit velocity. The amount of people who say batting average doesn't matter anymore is astounding. I'm a Mets fan, but listened to the Yankees game yesterday because I went to high school with Volpe their shortstop making his debut. I think there were 32 Ks in that game. There were several 20-minute periods where the ball wasn't put in play once. Their clown radio guy said that it was ok that one of their guys grounded into a double play, because it was a 100MPH exit velocity double play. Lmao. Statistically, fans want to see guys on the basepaths, stolen bags, doubles, triples, great defensive plays, plays at the plate, etc., but because some nerds think the only way to score is hitting home runs, we no longer play real baseball.

Teams are never going to disregard these analytics, as much of a self-fulfilling prophecy as I think they are, so something needs to change. MLB must incentivize contact and putting the ball in play. Banning the shift is a start, and imo the biggest part of that is requiring all four guys to have their feet on the infield dirt. I'm really hoping that over time the shift ban changes the analytics enough that putting the ball in play is once again seen as the way to score runs. I also think MLB needs to adjust their ball to limit spin rate, and most controversially I think there needs to be a lower limit on the number of pitchers you can have on your roster, so guys are inclined to pitch to contact again to go deeper in games. Years ago, exiting in the fifth would be embarrassing, but now it's celebrated as long as you recorded 10Ks in those 5 innings.

All anyone has ever cared about is hitting the ball as hard as possible. All we’ve done now is measure and name the same shit everyone has been saying forever. As long as I’ve been watching baseball people have talked about “at ‘em” balls.

This is just a dumb “old school” for the sake of it idiotic take

And Batting average doesn’t matter. A triple matters more than 2 singles. A walk really is just as good as a single when there is no one on base. Get on base…slug. Thats how you win games.

Disagree. Get on base. Work counts. Stretch pitchers' arms.

A triple is more exciting than two singles, sure, but two singles likely gets a guy to 3rd anyway...plus you get a guy on first as well. Bonus!

One unintended consequence of the pickoff attempt limit is more throws to first by the catcher. Like a lot more. More in one game than I saw all last season.

Disagree. Get on base. Work counts. Stretch pitchers' arms.

A triple is more exciting than two singles, sure, but two singles likely gets a guy to 3rd anyway...plus you get a guy on first as well. Bonus!

I was meaning in the context of a players average. I’d rather a guy hit .200 with all triples than .400 with all singles.

I was meaning in the context of a players average. I’d rather a guy hit .200 with all triples than .400 with all singles.
Hmmm that’s an interesting point. I’d have to think it depends on the number of AB’s. Out of 10 AB’s, sure. Out of 500, maybe not.

I guess my overall point is a guy with a BA of .250 and an OPS of .900 Is far more valuable than someone hitting .350 with an OPS of .800

BA just isn’t that important

Back