• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 MLB Thread -- World Champion Rangers - Hot Stove Warming Up - Soto to the Yanks - Ohtani's destination unknown

I’m sure you’ve got some stories about what Chicago girls can do with a brat.

Very pleased with the impact of the new rules so far. Love having more balls in play and less pitchers that make watching a game a chore. Only thing would be that the pick off stuff is something players will need to get used to. Stolen bases seem almost automatic for quick players now because pitchers won't throw over. I think as pitchers get a little more comfortable with throwing over once or even twice if needed, that will change. I still hope we have more steals as they're one of the most exciting part of the game, but free steals inning after inning tarnishes it just a little imo. I also am not in favor of the everyone plays everyone schedule and think divisional rivalry games and divisional races are the foundation of a fun season, but it's working out fine so far.

Very pleased with the impact of the new rules so far. Love having more balls in play and less pitchers that make watching a game a chore. Only thing would be that the pick off stuff is something players will need to get used to. Stolen bases seem almost automatic for quick players now because pitchers won't throw over. I think as pitchers get a little more comfortable with throwing over once or even twice if needed, that will change. I still hope we have more steals as they're one of the most exciting part of the game, but free steals inning after inning tarnishes it just a little imo. I also am not in favor of the everyone plays everyone schedule and think divisional rivalry games and divisional races are the foundation of a fun season, but it's working out fine so far.
These are the two things I have issues with as well. The shorter games were even nicer last night when we played our first West Coast game and I actually watched the whole thing on a Monday. Braves on a 7 game win streak!

I also see players taking bigger leads because of the pickoff attempt throw limit. The front foot creeps beyond the edge of the cutout. That used to be the safe/picked off line.

MLB experimenting with additional rule changes in the Atlantic League

1. Designated Pinch Runner (Mr. Freeze may move on to the Braves playing roster)
2. Only disengagement per plate appearance (pick-off move); down from 2
3. Double hook DH - If you starting pitcher fails to make it through 5 complete innings, that team loses their DH and must bat the pitcher or use a pinch hitter.

"sorry that your pitcher got hurt in the 1st inning. now use your relief pitchers at the plate the rest of the game as punishment, ya jerks."

or maybe I'm not understanding that double hook DH one, but that sounds so stupid to me on first glance

"sorry that your pitcher got hurt in the 1st inning. now use your relief pitchers at the plate the rest of the game as punishment, ya jerks."

or maybe I'm not understanding that double hook DH one, but that sounds so stupid to me on first glance
it hurts the opener model

Excellent! Let's make all coaches robots and disincentivize any creative solutions to help their teams win.

A little concerned that MLB is so proud of itself for the 2023 rule changes (which have been a positive) that it will think that rule changes are mandatory every season.

A little concerned that MLB is so proud of itself for the 2023 rule changes (which have been a positive) that it will think that rule changes are mandatory every season.
I am a little worried about this too. I read today they're trialing a "designated pinch runner" in the Atlantic League. That would rewrite the record books. You could have a guy on your team who never touches a bat or glove and exclusively runs for your slowest guy in a big spot. The thing that gives me some hope there though it that MLB has trialed plenty of stuff in the minors, and the majority of it has never made it to the big leagues. Most notable example is moving the mound back, which they tried out and didn't like the results, so they left it as is.

The pinch runner rule is beyond dumb. I understand the DH hook if you want to incenvitize teams to keep the starting pitcher model. I don't really care about the pick off stuff.

It sucks but they were never going to put something in place in the bay area. Maybe with this move they will at least try to be competitive

Back