• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Wake Forest Football Schedule (What We Know So Far)

Brendan207

Reaction score
The 2023 Wake Forest Football Schedule is complete with the exception of dates for ACC games. We know we'll be playing 2 straight at home. Saturday 9/2 vs Elon unless it gets bumped to another weird Thursday/Friday night game, then Saturday 9/9 at home vs Vanderbilt. Then we head out on the road to Norfolk, VA to take on Old Dominion on Saturday 9/16. We know the date of the Notre Dame game (away on 10/28) and know we'll have FSU, Pitt, NC State and Georgia Tech at home and then Virginia Tech, Clemson, Cuse and Duke on the road. We just don't know the dates. I'll update this thread when the dates get released.

Saturday
Sep. 2
Elon Phoenix Football ScheduleElon Phoenix Truist Field, Winston-Salem, NCTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 9
Vanderbilt Football ScheduleVanderbilt Commodores Truist Field, Winston-Salem, NCTime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 16
Old Dominion Monarchs Football Scheduleat Old Dominion Monarchs S.B. Ballard Stadium, Norfolk, VATime TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 28
Notre Dame Fighting Irish Football Scheduleat Notre Dame Fighting Irish Notre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame, INTime TBA ETTV TBA
Date TBAClemson Football Scheduleat Clemson Tigers Memorial Stadium, Clemson, SCTime TBA ETTV TBA
Date TBASyracuse Orange Football Scheduleat Syracuse Orange JMA Wireless Dome, Syracuse, NYTime TBA ETTV TBA
Date TBAFlorida State Football ScheduleFlorida State Seminoles Truist Field, Winston-Salem, NCTime TBA ETTV TBA
Date TBANC State Wolfpack Football ScheduleNC State Wolfpack Truist Field, Winston-Salem, NCTime TBA ETTV TBA
Date TBADuke Blue Devils Football Scheduleat Duke Blue Devils Wallace Wade Stadium, Durham, NCTime TBA ETTV TBA
Date TBAVirginia Tech Hokies Football Scheduleat Virginia Tech Hokies Lane Stadium, Blacksburg, VATime TBA ETTV TBA
Date TBAGeorgia Tech Football ScheduleGeorgia Tech Yellow Jackets Truist Field, Winston-Salem, NCTime TBA ETTV TBA
Date TBAPitt Panthers Football SchedulePitt Panthers Truist Field, Winston-Salem, NCTime TBA ETTV TBA

I would almost guarantee that the Elon game will be on Thursday. Hate that we’re playing at ODU. I don’t buy the “playing in fertile recruiting grounds” line as much as I used to. Everyone recruits everywhere. All of our games are on TV too. It’s also bullshit that we’re playing at Wallace Wade Outdoor 2 seasons in a row. Lastly, the shine has worn off of playing ND. I don’t care about playing them, but it would be nice to win one.

I would almost guarantee that the Elon game will be on Thursday. Hate that we’re playing at ODU. I don’t buy the “playing in fertile recruiting grounds” line as much as I used to. Everyone recruits everywhere. All of our games are on TV too. It’s also bullshit that we’re playing at Wallace Wade Outdoor 2 seasons in a row. Lastly, the shine has worn off of playing ND. I don’t care about playing them, but it would be nice to win one.
It has waaaaaaay less to do with fertile recruiting grounds and way more to do with the economics of not making it an extra buy game every year. It’s the way we stretch Clawson and staff’s salaries to keep them here with our lower attendance/smaller donor base. And yes, it stinks we have to play that type of game.

It has waaaaaaay less to do with fertile recruiting grounds and way more to do with the economics of not making it an extra buy game every year. It’s the way we stretch Clawson and staff’s salaries to keep them here with our lower attendance/smaller donor base. And yes, it stinks we have to play that type of game.
True. That makes sense.

And it’s also the type of game that most ACC programs (not Clemson) have to play for the same reason

Random side note, back in 2020 I was planning a group trip to the Wake @ ODU game. Ended up being cancelled after I'd gotten tix and ODU didn't do refunds... just credit for the future. Kind of annoying but I'm hoping they'll still honor it 3 years later...

And it’s also the type of game that most ACC programs (not Clemson) have to play for the same reason
I would be interested to see a list showing the last 10 years of away games for P5 teams. nonconference away vs nonconference non-power 5 away. We've gotta be top 5

I would be interested to see a list showing the last 10 years of away games for P5 teams. nonconference away vs nonconference non-power 5 away. We've gotta be top 5
At least we’ve never done 2 in a season like Carolina.

Well yeah. We’ve opened on a Thursday every year since 2013 right? And I’m totally cool with it.

Well yeah. We’ve opened on a Thursday every year since 2013 right? And I’m totally cool with it.
Yep. I don’t like it because a week night against a bad opponent is a recipe for a bad crowd. It’s tough for me to even make those driving 2-2.5 hours each way.

I like getting that early win and then enjoying all the football the following 4 days haha.
Same. I can plan something that weekend without worrying about the game.

Any guesses about what season tickets will cost next season?

My guess is the same as this season which will be face value a little more since we have one less home game.

ACC plays more of these away non-con games by far than any other P5 conference. Article on that earlier in the football season citing the second (I believe) VT @ ODU loss as an example.

The deal with the OOC game at ODU is this:
  • WF will pay for a guarantee home game against an FCS school because they are less expensive than a guarantee game against a FBS Group of six school, but only one win a year against an FCS team counts toward bowl eligibility
  • All ACC teams must play one OOC game against a Power V school or ND. WF has scheduled ONE a year (ND, Purdue, Vandy, Ole Miss, Maryland), but WF doesn't want to "over schedule" and play more than one of those games.
  • That leaves two OOC games each year to schedule.
    • At that point it becomes a money issue.
    • If money is no object, like it is no object for Michigan or Alabama, you happily pay the premium to schedule a guarantee home against Utah State or Colorado State or ODU.
    • The alternative to paying a guarantee is to play a home and home against a group of five school and each school gets to keep the entire gate for their home game. WF isn't going out of pocket to pay ODU seven figures to come to WF.
  • Rather than pay two group of six teams seven figures to come to WF , WF will play some home and home with Group of Six schools, and make more money than it would if it paid guaranteed amounts to ODU or ECU or Liberty.
BTW, its not just ACC schools that play at Group of Six schools:

• Maryland played at Charlotte this year.
  • Purdue plays at UCONN
  • NW plays at Tulane
  • Missouri has future games scheduled at Miami (O) and UMASS
  • Vandy played at N. Illinois this year and future games scheduled at UNLV, GA State and Colorado State
  • Mississippi State has games scheduled at S. Miss and Troy
  • Ole Miss plays at UCONN, at Tulane and at Charlotte

Last edited:
Back