• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Wake Forest Football Schedule (What We Know So Far)

Received an email yesterday from the AD about renewing my seats rights, presumably for the next 15 years. That's going to be a tough sell coming off losing 4 of our last 5, and not knowing if future schedules will more likely include the likes of Ohio State or Ohio U, the U of Miami or Miami(O).

The deal with the OOC game at ODU is this:
  • WF will pay for a guarantee home game against an FCS school because they are less expensive than a guarantee game against a FBS Group of six school, but only one win a year against an FCS team counts toward bowl eligibility
  • All ACC teams must play one OOC game against a Power V school or ND. WF has scheduled ONE a year (ND, Purdue, Vandy, Ole Miss, Maryland), but WF doesn't want to "over schedule" and play more than one of those games.
  • That leaves two OOC games each year to schedule.
    • At that point it becomes a money issue.
    • If money is no object, like it is no object for Michigan or Alabama, you happily pay the premium to schedule a guarantee home against Utah State or Colorado State or ODU.
    • The alternative to paying a guarantee is to play a home and home against a group of five school and each school gets to keep the entire gate for their home game. WF isn't going out of pocket to pay ODU seven figures to come to WF.
  • Rather than pay two group of six teams seven figures to come to WF , WF will play some home and home with Group of Six schools, and make more money than it would if it paid guaranteed amounts to ODU or ECU or Liberty.
BTW, its not just ACC schools that play at Group of Six schools:

• Maryland played at Charlotte this year.
  • Purdue plays at UCONN
  • NW plays at Tulane
  • Missouri has future games scheduled at Miami (O) and UMASS
  • Vandy played at N. Illinois this year and future games scheduled at UNLV, GA State and Colorado State
  • Mississippi State has games scheduled at S. Miss and Troy
  • Ole Miss plays at UCONN, at Tulane and at Charlotte
Just a small note that most P5/G5 deals now are 2-for-1, not straight home-and-homes.

Have to win the first 3, otherwise have no shot at a bowl.
If Duke can win 8 games this season, no reason our expectations shouldn't be bowl at a minimum and 8-9 wins if a lot of things fall our way.

If Duke can win 8 games this season, no reason our expectations shouldn't be bowl at a minimum and 8-9 wins if a lot of things fall our way.
Yep. Duke and UNC both had new QBs. I don’t see why we can’t do the same.

I would bet good money the Dook game will be thanksgiving weekend. Again.
That’s fine with me. Duke and WF aren’t going to draw big crowds on Thanksgiving no matter the opponent. May as well at least try to participate in rivalry weekend.

I do like that we get Clemson and ND early. Hopefully this schedule helps end the can't win in November trend (mostly because we might pick up those losses in September)

I do like that we get Clemson and ND early. Hopefully this schedule helps end the can't win in November trend (mostly because we might pick up those losses in September)
The opponents aren't listed in order. Only the non-conference opponents have dates as of now (and those could always be changed due to TV/conference requests). The game at Notre Dame is in late October, fyi (wouldn't expect that one to move since Notre Dame usually has their schedules set 2-3 years in advance).

You've done some research, thanks.

At this point I’m convinced Pilchard hasn’t done research; he IS research. He has somehow assimilated all of it into his being and presents the pertinent information at the precisely necessary moment.

Maybe this whole time Pilch has been AI. But I guess the interaction with Man Man shed a glimpse into his actual humanity.

Thanks for your contributions sir!

The opponents aren't listed in order. Only the non-conference opponents have dates as of now (and those could always be changed due to TV/conference requests). The game at Notre Dame is in late October, fyi (wouldn't expect that one to move since Notre Dame usually has their schedules set 2-3 years in advance).
Ahhhh well nevermind

Why are we playing Clemson!?

Why are we playing Duke in Durham!?

I hear ya, but duke didn’t beat a team last year with a pulse. Their best win was against a broken wake team. Our schedule looks difficult next year

We all know that we really missed a pretty good window of opportunity the last few years. Didn’t blow it entirely but didn’t maximize what could be. Hope Clawson & Co. can surprise us next season.

Back