• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Baseball - Schedule Released

I didn't realize until watching this game that Md. Won the Big 10.

Not a very good baseball league, Michigan was the only other team that got in the tourney. Wake certainly the only team in this regional from any sort of challenging league

UConn came down to Clemson several years ago and killed them in a super regional that CU hosted

The infield fly rule is designed to protect the baserunners from exactly what occurred, a dropped ball that results in an easy double play. Umps blew the call.

The infield fly rule is designed to protect the baserunners from exactly what occurred, a dropped ball that results in an easy double play. Umps blew the call.

Looked to me like the pitcher could have taken a few steps and made the catch. The decision of the fielding team to have the second baseman sprint from right field shouldn't change the play. The pitcher is a fielder too. He barely moved after he turned around, because it appears the second baseman called for the ball. He walked a step or two and was almost on top of the second baseman as the catch was almost made.

the spirit of the rule is to prevent the defense from intentionally letting a pop-up drop so they can get a double play, which definitely didn’t happen here. the letter of the law specifies “ordinary effort” to catch the ball, which also wasn’t the case. i’m not sure ive ever seen a pitcher move back off the mound to catch a pop-up — would have been an insane play.

that said, i still think it should have been called an IF fly. I suspect when the ball was in the air, both teams might have preferred the play to be called that. but hard to blame the umps in that situation since i think the call was technically correct.

i also think if the second baseman had kicked the ball and allowed unc to reach and they called an infield fly, unc would be pissed about the call (and vcu likely defending the decision). recall a bad infield fly rule the other way that IIRC hurt the braves in a playoff game.

So after we take care of Maryland we have to play and beat UConn twice? When are those games scheduled?

the spirit of the rule is to prevent the defense from intentionally letting a pop-up drop so they can get a double play, which definitely didn’t happen here. the letter of the law specifies “ordinary effort” to catch the ball, which also wasn’t the case. i’m not sure ive ever seen a pitcher move back off the mound to catch a pop-up — would have been an insane play.

that said, i still think it should have been called an IF fly. I suspect when the ball was in the air, both teams might have preferred the play to be called that. but hard to blame the umps in that situation since i think the call was technically correct.

i also think if the second baseman had kicked the ball and allowed unc to reach and they called an infield fly, unc would be pissed about the call (and vcu likely defending the decision). recall a bad infield fly rule the other way that IIRC hurt the braves in a playoff game.

I don't understand why the pitcher taking a few steps back is "insane." He is a fielder too. He was in frame for the almost catch after a leisurely stroll off the mound.

Seems that the second baseman called for the ball. That doesn't change the fact that if the pitcher had run a few feet, like less than he would run on a bunt play, he would have been in position to make the catch.

So after we take care of Maryland we have to play and beat UConn twice? When are those games scheduled?

Yes. If Wake beats Maryland today, we play UConn tonight at 7pm. If Wake wins that, the rubber match will be tomorrow at 7pm.

Does anyone know if you can sail the pirated seas for ESPN+ events?

I don't understand why the pitcher taking a few steps back is "insane." He is a fielder too. He was in frame for the almost catch after a leisurely stroll off the mound.

Seems that the second baseman called for the ball. That doesn't change the fact that if the pitcher had run a few feet, like less than he would run on a bunt play, he would have been in position to make the catch.

2nd baseman was a good 4 or 5 steps behind the mound in the grass when tried to catch it, pitcher would have had to turn around and run backwards to make it to that spot in time. Weird play but definitely the right call - 2nd baseman had the only real play and he had to come racing in to have a chance. If someone pops up a squeeze attempt and and infielder has to rush to have a shot at catching it no chance it's called an infield fly. The best argument was mentioned earlier - if they're playing on turf the ball gets away from the 2nd baseman a bit, everyone's safe - UNC would have been irate if the infield fly had been called.

Looks like MD will use their #3 starter Nick Dean. In his last three starts, Dean has given up 11 earned runs in 16 innings. Dean is right-handed.

Would guess Teddy McGraw is pitching for WF. He has been improving and has only given up 2 earned runs since April 30 (24 innings).

Deacs are favored -150. Seems like a favorable matchup for WF.

Deacs -150? Wow. Let's go! I will definitely get to the stadium tomorrow night if we can beat MD and UCONN today.

Looks like MD will use their #3 starter Nick Dean. In his last three starts, Dean has given up 11 earned runs in 16 innings. Dean is right-handed.

Would guess Teddy McGraw is pitching for WF. He has been improving and has only given up 2 earned runs since April 30 (24 innings).

Deacs are favored -150. Seems like a favorable matchup for WF.

i believe walter has announced mcgraw will be starting.

fwiw, i think there's a pretty decent argument to save mcgraw for a possible evening game. you theoretically give the relievers a bit more rest for a possible monday game, uconn has already seen golob and minacci, and we'd have more info to know how long of a leash to give mcgraw in the evening game depending on how taxed the pen is. but ultimately can't imagine it making a huge difference either way. (i think saving hartle for today woulda had a more material advantage).

i have tickets for both games today -- def gonna head there if there's an evening game, on the fence about the early game. (if anyone needs two tix for the first game, let me know)

Back