• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Baseball - Schedule Released

We waste so many out early in games trying to bunt for hits when we are not an exceptionally fast team. Defense in key positions is always suspect. I’m afraid the start to the year is not what will be typical for the rest of this season.

We waste so many out early in games trying to bunt for hits when we are not an exceptionally fast team. Defense in key positions is always suspect. I’m afraid the start to the year is not what will be typical for the rest of this season.

We are 3-3 in conference against 2 top-10 teams and currently playing another.

Generally true across many levels of baseball.

My real point is that, no matter how Walter's Wake teams are ballyhooed, in both pitching and hitting, we consistently fall below the elite ACC programs in the pitching. We may have a good one or even 2, but we just don't have the overall nor top 3 weekend starter talent to ever really make much noise in the league. If NCSU has a down year, UVa is up. If Miami is down, FSU is up, if Clemson is down, GT is up, etc.

So, we are perennially locked in to being middle-of-the-division at best and near the bottom at worst by the end of the season.

Last edited:
Why don’t you do yourself and everyone else a favor, and follow another team. WF could be 21-0:and as soon as WF loses a game, you would be ready to pounce. WF lost to the #4 team in the nation. If you think that’s grounds to give up on this team, see you later. Go root for the Yankees, Duke Basketball or some other bandwagon team. WF has enough miserable fans; we are fine without you

Not sure if he takes it too far but skepticism about a Walter managed team is certainly justified

I mean our schedules been insanely front-loaded we end up at 4 and 5 after 9 it's not the end of the world. Nd and clemson are both struggling. State is below 500.

pretty sure the whole pitching beats hitting cliche has repeatedly been proven false. but even ignoring that, UVA has an amazingly good offense, and our pitching has been really good as well. and i would say our pitching was really good in yesterdays game as well. we just lost aided heavily by bad defense.

pretty sure the whole pitching beats hitting cliche has repeatedly been proven false. but even ignoring that, UVA has an amazingly good offense, and our pitching has been really good as well. and i would say our pitching was really good in yesterdays game as well. we just lost aided heavily by bad defense.

I didn't get to see the whole game but weren't 2 UVa runs solely due to pitching errors? (More possibly by fielding/throwing errors?)

Every team has errors but we seem to have an inordinately higher number, especially including WP, HBP, and PBs.

I remember this game. We pitched a great game. Walter put in reliever (Donny Sellers?) who immediately gave up 2 HRs which ties the game at 4. Walter rolls dice and puts in one of our better WE starters, Dunshee, to shutdown the Clemson runs. Watch how it turns out.

https://youtu.be/_pSuh8umgdI

Last edited:
I didn't get to see the whole game but weren't 2 UVa runs solely due to pitching errors? (More possibly by fielding/throwing errors?)

Every team has errors but we seem to have an inordinately higher number, especially including WP, HBP, and PBs.

yes. two runs scored on a passed ball. they were at second and third.

Taking our pup to the game today since it's dog day in the park. Is there an area with grass or a place to sit with the pups?

Thanks and go Deacs!

Taking our pup to the game today since it's dog day in the park. Is there an area with grass or a place to sit with the pups?

Thanks and go Deacs!

Not really. There is grass on the visitors side next to right field but I don't think security let's people over there....maybe they will for Dog Day...

I sure hope the coaches are arguing balls and strikes. The ump took two at bats away last inning.

Back