• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Baseball - Schedule Released

I can't remember the last time we won a series in Raleigh. Maybe we are catching lightening in a bottle.

The updated ACC standings among the teams that WF can pass in the standings or that WF can pass:

6. FSU 15-14 (@UNC)
7. WF 14-14-1 (@State)
7.NC State 14-14 (WF)
9. UNC 14-15 (FSU)
9. GT 14-15 (Pitt)
11. Pitt 13-15(GT)

With a win today, WF will either be the 6th or 7th seed. With a loss, WF could be the 8th, 9th or 10th seed. WF plays at 1 pm on ACCN+. FWIW, with a#13 RPI, WF is likely in the NCAAT regardless of the remaining outcomes. That said, now it's a possibility that WF could play its way into hosting a subregional if it wins 40+ games heading into the NCAAT.

Last edited:
Hartle big props

Massive not only for getting a much needed W for both ACC and NCAA tourney, but the confidence boost it gives the team knowing you now have 2 dominant aces going into the best of 3 series for postseason play means not just getting to postseason but seeing a team actually doing damage in postseason. If Josh can replicate this performance in ACC tourney next week I might get a little excited???

Hartle is far from an ace. He’s 6-6 with a 5+ ERA. I’d put Keener and McGraw ahead of him.

Hartle is far from an ace. He’s 6-6 with a 5+ ERA. I’d put Keener and McGraw ahead of him.
You do know a pitcher, especially a frosh pitcher, can have ups and downs and struggle with confidence??? And that when things click and get confidence they can become dominant. As a lefty he was projected as a first round pick which I don’t think was because of one dumb mlb scout?? I would bet a large amount that WF coaches as well think he has the potential to be a superstar given speed of fastball and his other pitches and that his ability is better than the other 2 pitchers you name, but kid is figuring out and will continue to blossom. Upside for Hartle is clearly more if you believe mlb scouts know their stuff and our coaches sticking with him as a #2 despite some struggles is further evidence.

Point being made was he may be hitting that inflection point in how to pitch ACC caliber players and what pitches to go to in critical situations. If he has a repeat performance next week I personally think it could be time to get excited that Hartle will play to his potential….

The light turned on for McGraw a few games ago hopefully it does the same for Hartle.

I contend that a lot of hartles problems has been that Walter has been waiting too long to take him out of the game. Last night was perfect he was dealing and they got five innings out of him. He will be a seven or eight inning guy but just not as a freshman

Completely agree with you, salty. And I hope you’re right in that Hartle is turning a corner for the better. And I fully agree and understand that he is a frosh pitcher that came into Wake and this season with a ton of buzz and hype - maybe too much. Of course he will have ups and downs. Like any baseball player, especially pitchers. It’s honestly too early to tell or make an accurate assessment on what he could turn into, in my opinion.

My point is simply I don’t feel it’s fair or accurate to call him a “dominant ace” this baseball season, especially as a true frosh. He just isn’t one right now. Could he blossom into one before he leaves Wake? Absolutely. And I hope he does. But with pedestrian/average numbers this season, I’d call him a solid/good pitcher with a lot of upside and promise. But certainly not an ace. We’ve only got one of those this year (Lowder).

McGraw keeps pitching the way he has the last several weeks he is right there

Game is on another torrid pace in terms of real time. I love these quick wins. Let’s get another one today!

Back