• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Soccer Thread - NCAA Tourney 2nd Round - Hoosiers Visit Spry 5 pm Sunday ESPN+

WF and Davidson tied 2-2. The Deacs 2nd exhibition game is Saturday as the Deacs host Denver. The regular season starts next week. In the "Soccer Wire" preseason rankings, WF is ranked #18. As always the ACC is stacked with:

1. Cuse
4. Duke
5. Pitt
8. Clemson
15. UVA

After tying Davidson and beating Denver in exhibitions, the WF men open their season at Spry tomorrow night against Grand Canyon. WF then hosts future ACC member Cal on Sunday.

Both games are available on ACCN+.

The WF women started their season 1-0-1. Beating the Apps and tying Army. The women host traditional rival Idaho State tomorrow at Spry at 1 pm -- also available on ACCN+.

One thing that speaks volumes to both Bobby and the belief of this team is that we had no transfers out after last season (as far as I've heard). Cole McNally did transfer but was a grad RS JR transfer. We have so many players that are vying for minutes, I think with this team we will see advantageous competition rather than toxic competition. We need more goals without out a doubt, but this could be a fun team.

(Yes, I know I'm excited for the team every year)

Excited to get the season kicked off. Let's take care of business. Grand Canyon has had some recent success.

The Deacon women take game #1 of today's Spry doubleheader with a 3-0 win.

In your face Idaho State!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know if there is a delay with these thunderstorms moving through? The ESPN stream hasn't started yet and its 10 after 7.

After tying Davidson and beating Denver in exhibitions, the WF men open their season at Spry tomorrow night against Grand Canyon. WF then hosts future ACC member Cal on Sunday.

Both games are available on ACCN+.

The WF women started their season 1-0-1. Beating the Apps and tying Army. The women host traditional rival Idaho State tomorrow at Spry at 1 pm -- also available on ACCN+.
Cal is playing at UNCG tonight, who is actually ranked #10 in the country. I would imagine it has been a while since they were ranked higher than us.

We don't play UNCG this year which is unfortunate. Both UNCG and Charlotte have solid programs and I'd like to at least play top tier teams in the area even with a tough ACC schedule

One thing that speaks volumes to both Bobby and the belief of this team is that we had no transfers out after last season (as far as I've heard). Cole McNally did transfer but was a grad RS JR transfer. We have so many players that are vying for minutes, I think with this team we will see advantageous competition rather than toxic competition. We need more goals without out a doubt, but this could be a fun team.

(Yes, I know I'm excited for the team every year)
Does anyone have a scouting report for any of the freshmen or guys expected to take the next step? Does everyone think the #18 ranking is legit?

FGCU Vs #3 Kentucky. Kentucky looks absolutely overrun to start the match. It’s early so that’s not crazy. But, the officiating has been abysmal. I think the ACC has the only competent officiating at the collegiate level. The PK given to Kentucky was so so so so bad.

To my ignorant eye and a brief review of the incoming freshman, it doesn’t seem like the 2023 class is at the same level of most WF men’s soccer recruiting classes. Then again, it definitely could be that I don’t know what to look for or it could be that the nature of college soccer recruiting has changed with more elite players going straight to the pro ranks.

Back