• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Soccer Thread - NCAA Tourney 2nd Round - Hoosiers Visit Spry 5 pm Sunday ESPN+

Like how does Marshall come to have the second best soccer team in the country??
Weird stuff happens on college soccer. Usually it's some combination of elite coaching and and/or unique talent pipelines/connections. Marshall is almost all international dudes, plus 4 kids from a boarding school in Connecticut.

I feel like this prob means you’re a paisano. Love it.
Only a 1/4, but a very strong 1/4. My grandma married a Texan, but her entire collection of siblings all basically lived within a couple blocks of each other, so we'd just wander around to the great aunt's with the pool. Then go back to grandma's and drink cabinets. I loved cabinets. Good memories.

My dad played Little League/high school club or all-star ball against Davey Lopes, and went to the same high school as Ernie DiGregorio, two more RI sports legends.

Last edited:
Only a 1/4, but a very strong 1/4. My grandma married a Texan, but her entire collection of siblings all basically lived within a couple blocks of each other, so we'd just wander around to the great aunt's with the pool. Then go back to grandma's and drink cabinets. I loved cabinets. Good memories.

My dad played Little League/high school club or all-star ball against Davey Lopes, and went to the same high school as Ernie DiGregorio, two more RI sports legends.
Ernie D! My kids play basketball at Davey Lopes often! Good stuff.

Deacon Women take the first leg of the Ocean State swing with a 3-1 win over the URI Rams. The Deacs are now off to Providence to vanquish Brown.

The WF men play at Pitt tonight (7 pm on ACCN+). Some tidbits on that matchup from the WF Game Notes:

• Wake Forest and Pitt will meet in the ACC opener for each program in Saturday night's showdown at Ambrose Urbanic Field.
  • The Demon Deacons will enter the contest as the No. 9 ranked team in the latest United Soccer Coaches poll. Pitt, meanwhile, is receiving votes and was ranked No. 5 in the preseason poll.
  • The Deacs come to Panther territory with a 2-0-2 overall record with victories over Grand Canyon and Furman and draws against Cal and then-No. 20 Maryland. Pitt, meanwhile, is 1-2-1 with a victory over Howard, a draw against current No. 14 Penn State and losses suffered to Georgetown and current No. 2 Marshall.
  • In the preseason ACC poll, Wake Forest was picked to finish second in the Atlantic Division with Pitt selected to top the Coastal Division.
  • Wake Forest holds the ACC's longest consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances streak at 12-straight years while Pitt is tied with Clemson for the second-longest streak in the conference at four-straight years.
  • Saturday's matchup will be the sixth all-time meeting between the Demon Deacons and Panthers.
  • Wake Forest holds a 5-0-0 record against Pitt in the all-time series including a 3-1 victory in the most recent meeting on Sept. 17, 2021.
  • This is Wake Forest's first appearance at Ambrose Urbanic Field since a 2-0 victory on Sept. 13, 2019.
Also, WF's Roald Mitchell, #9 pictured below, is coming off a hat-trick against Furman:

resize

That was a bullshit penalty call. Pitt player was not getting to that ball

Geez. 3-0 Pitt. What happened?

The ladies are prolly better at this point. Let’s see but it’s been a quiet couple years…

The Wake men were #1 in the country last year.
Yeah until the wheels fell off and they got blown out at home to end both ACC and NCAA. C’mon you can’t be seriously arguing this point.

Yeah until the wheels fell off and they got blown out at home to end both ACC and NCAA. C’mon you can’t be seriously arguing this point.

You wrote that “it’s been a quiet couple of years” yet we were #1 in the country for a while last year. I wish our football and men’s bball teams could have years like that. I would guess that men’s soccer was the only Wake program to be ranked #1 in the country last year, except for women’s golf.

I thought he was talking about the women’s program.

You wrote that “it’s been a quiet couple of years” yet we were #1 in the country for a while last year. I wish our football and men’s bball teams could have years like that. I would guess that men’s soccer was the only Wake program to be ranked #1 in the country last year, except for women’s golf.
Baseball

Back