• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Soccer Thread - NCAA Tourney 2nd Round - Hoosiers Visit Spry 5 pm Sunday ESPN+

Midfield so far have been trash. Completely overrun and too spread out and disjointed. Forwards never finding open space or losing their men. Just awful performance top to bottom.

Men’s cross runs in the national championship Saturday at 11:10 on ESPNU

So can we go two tourney games at home in a row getting massively outplayed and shot in the 1st half without generating a shot on goal?

this was the #1 team in the country at one point this year.

Yet, another Wake coach who fails to make in-game adjustments. The school should change the motto to, “Damn the torpedoes and stay the course.”

Talk about taking the gas. Damn. This team has stunk since we reached number 1. Huge collapse

Did Currie damage our men’s soccer program with his decision 3 years ago to charge admission for all regular season games? I think he did.

The initial move didn’t allow food on the hill, which upset many in The Congregation. They backtracked that decision, but some damage was done. Since charging admission the crowds are not as large or intimidating at Spry as they used to be. It’s a little hard to tell if this is driven by charging admission or COVID, but football has had many sellouts in the past two years, so I don’t think it can be blamed on COVID.

Football also charges admission so that comparison seems invalid

Soccer team went 10-1 at home in the regular season this year with the only loss coming to #1 Duke

Interesting to me that the person who so fervently and aggressively defends the $83,000 annual cost of attendance is critical of a charge that amounts to less than the cost of a movie ticket

Football also charges admission so that comparison seems invalid

Soccer team went 10-1 at home in the regular season this year with the only loss coming to #1 Duke

Interesting to me that the person who so fervently and aggressively defends the $83,000 annual cost of attendance is critical of a charge that amounts to less than the cost of a movie ticket

I think you’ve misunderstood my opinion on tuition. $83,000 is way too much, and a move to freeze increases or, better yet, lower costs, would be a big step in the right direction. My argument regarding tuition is 1) that Wake is no different from most elite private schools, and 2) there is a lot of financial aid so many do not pay close to full costs.

But back to soccer, we went 10-3 at home this year and lost our last two contests at home in tournaments in unimpressive fashion in front of small crowds. In general, our crowds at Spry were small this year. We no longer have the nights where many youth soccer teams head to Spry after practice, or people drop in on a whim because it’s easy and free to just head in.

Football and basketball are revenue sports and have always charged admission. I brought up football as a way to determine if COVID has affected attendance this year, and I don’t think it has.

If there is another reason that crowds were small at Spry this year I would be interested to hear it.

I think you’ve misunderstood my opinion on tuition. $83,000 is way too much, and a move to freeze increases or, better yet, lower costs, would be a big step in the right direction. My argument regarding tuition is 1) that Wake is no different from most elite private schools, and 2) there is a lot of financial aid so many do not pay close to full costs.

But back to soccer, we went 10-3 at home this year and lost our last two contests at home in tournaments in unimpressive fashion in front of small crowds. In general, our crowds at Spry were small this year. We no longer have the nights where many youth soccer teams head to Spry after practice, or people drop in on a whim because it’s easy and free to just head in.

Football and basketball are revenue sports and have always charged admission. I brought up football as a way to determine if COVID has affected attendance this year, and I don’t think it has.

If there is another reason that crowds were small at Spry this year I would be interested to hear it.

we went 10-1 in the regular season, with the one loss coming in front of 3,630 fans

Currie can't give away free tickets to ACC tournament games or NCAA tournament games, so those games were not impacted by the decision to charge admission for regular season games

we went 10-1 in the regular season, with the one loss coming in front of 3,630 fans

Currie can't give away free tickets to ACC tournament games or NCAA tournament games, so those games were not impacted by the decision to charge admission for regular season games

Exactly. We only had one big attendance game this year and it was only 75% of what we used to draw.

As a comparison, this year we played #4 Duke at home on a Saturday night and drew 3600. In 2018 we played #15 Duke at home on a Saturday night and drew 4900. We also had several other games with over 4000 in 2018.

Exactly. We only had one big attendance game this year and it was only 75% of what we used to draw.

As a comparison, this year we played #4 Duke at home on a Saturday night and drew 3600. In 2018 we played #15 Duke at home on a Saturday night and drew 4900. We also had several other games with over 4000 in 2018.

WF lists capacity for Spry at 3,000. 3,630 seems like a great crowd. And yes...when you charge money you will get lower attendance than when you give it away for free. Particularly during a pandemic and period of inflation like the country hasn't seen for 40+ years.

The cost of attending a home regular season soccer game is less than the cost of a movie. Seems like a great deal and no different from other entertainment options.

Still waiting for an explanation of how charging for regular-season games impacts our team's performance in ACC and NCAA tournament games.

At Wake? Not my understanding.

Back