• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Wake isn't allowed to hire Mack.

Wake isn't allowed to hire:
(1) Anyone who has connections to Skip Prosser
(2) Anyone who has had any controversy
(3) Anyone who has a family member who donates to Wake Forest
(4) Any alums
(5) Any sons of former Coaches.

We hire "the most qualified candidate" and therefore the one who is old and already peaked. Definitely not anyone who might have affection for MSD.
We hired John Currie.

With spending less than 10 seconds thinking about this, is BYU hoops a top 50 job?

As I write that, maybe not, but hovering around that area?

If Vandy has $7mm for NIL, that's some sort of aggregate total and not just for next season

Ehhhh I’m not so sure. And this is not my bombastic the sky is falling mode… Wake is certainly a good job, but the administration for whatever reason, has not yet decided to go all in on hoops. It’s a shame because doing that 20 years ago would have paid real dividends. Doing it now though may not, the new landscape is weird.

Wake has been one of the worst major conference programs over the last 15 years. Hard to argue it's a top 50 job in a crowded college hoops landscape.

Ehhhh I’m not so sure. And this is not my bombastic the sky is falling mode… Wake is certainly a good job, but the administration for whatever reason, has not yet decided to go all in on hoops. It’s a shame because doing that 20 years ago would have paid real dividends. Doing it now though may not, the new landscape is weird.
What should administration be doing differently that would impact performance on the court in your mind?

Wake has been one of the worst major conference programs over the last 15 years. Hard to argue it's a top 50 job in a crowded college hoops landscape.
Yeah I wouldn’t push back on anyone that said we were a 75 or worse job.

What should administration be doing differently that would impact performance on the court in your mind?
20 or more years ago we should have committed to a top of the line basketball arena and facilities. Rough capacity around 9k.

When we lost Skip, we should have hired someone young and hungry after a temp year of Dino. If the hire didn’t work out, hire someone young and hungry again until you hit a home run.

20 or more years ago we should have committed to a top of the line basketball arena and facilities. Rough capacity around 9k.

When we lost Skip, we should have hired someone young and hungry after a temp year of Dino. If the hire didn’t work out, hire someone young and hungry again until you hit a home run.

But then we wouldn't have been able to court storm 14.5k strong over flopkowski!?

The more, the merrier!

Yeah I wouldn’t push back on anyone that said we were a 75 or worse job.
Not that low, but much of the appeal of the Wake job 20 years ago was the ACC pedigree and relatively consistent track record of making the NCAAT since the 90s and a steady flow of NBA talent through the program.

Not that low, but much of the appeal of the Wake job 20 years ago was the ACC pedigree and relatively consistent track record of making the NCAAT since the 90s and a steady flow of NBA talent through the program.
If our job were open next year after a down year, then I think the job is more attractive than it was post Dino firing. That firing given the resume really communicated instability.

Wake isn't allowed to hire Mack.

Wake isn't allowed to hire:
(1) Anyone who has connections to Skip Prosser
(2) Anyone who has had any controversy
(3) Anyone who has a family member who donates to Wake Forest
(4) Any alums
(5) Any sons of former Coaches.

We hire "the most qualified candidate" and therefore the one who is old and already peaked. Definitely not anyone who might have affection for MSD.
Steve Forbes was fired for recruiting violations. He had a show cause penalty from the NCAA. He certainly had controversy.

If our job were open next year after a down year, then I think the job is more attractive than it was post Dino firing. That firing given the resume really communicated instability.

giphy.gif

At the time, it communicated Wake was serious about basketball. Go back and read the reports about Dino getting fired.

At the time, it communicated Wake was serious about basketball. Go back and read the reports about Dino getting fired.

I lived it. The perception among coaches was Dino was a good coach and fired too early. He won over 60% of his games, made the tournament in back to back years. The perception among coaches is what would it take to keep that job? Expectations didn’t match reality.

The reality is that the team coming back was going to be pretty bad. Just didn’t get tied to Dino.

Not really interested in rehashing that experience. Would love to know what happens in the multiverse if Butler loses their opening game of that tournament though.

Back