• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Will Wade has McNeese State at #59 in NET / #67 in KP with a Q1 win at VCU, a win at Michigan, and a 4-2 record against teams in the KP top 125, while playing the #65 OOC schedule in the country. Would imagine he will be coaching somewhere else soon.

McNeese played 4 teams that don't count toward their OOC schedule strength, including the (men's team at the) Mississippi University for Women, whom McNeese beat 92-23.

If I’m Shaka, why do I leave to enter basically the exact same shitty situation I was previously in.
200w.gif

Why else would anyone choose to relocate to Columbus, Ohio?

Where is Dino Gaudio hanging out these days? Prison, probation etc.

I mean- he has enough money for a long time at this point. No? He’s not like looking for a big break.
That's never been true of any coach not named Bob McKillop. Even Chris Petersen eventually left Boise.

More is and will always be more. Since when has rational decision making ever trumped money in college athletics?
Or in professional athletics. Players and coaches almost always go to the team that pays the most. Tim Duncan is one of the few that did not follow that mold, but athletes and coaches keep score by comparing the size of their contracts.

The other factor is that person that exerts the most influnce on the athlete and/or coach on whether to take another offer is his/her agent. Agents receive a percentage; so, they have a built in bias to recommend that their client takes the highest number (and FWIW, agents get rated on how much their clients make).

Or in professional athletics. Players and coaches almost always go to the team that pays the most. Tim Duncan is one of the few that did not follow that mold, but athletes and coaches keep score by comparing the size of their contracts.

The other factor is that person that exerts the most influnce on the athlete and/or coach is his/her agent. Agent receive a percentage; so, they have a built in bias to recommend that their client takes the highest number (and FWIW, agents get rated on how much their clients make).
Money screws up college athletics WAY more than pro sports. Plenty of examples of players taking less for smarter opportunities.

I assume they will approach Sean Miller. Would he ditch Xavier for a second time?

Rumors circulating that tOSU will go hard after Jay Wright. Makes sense. He's young enough to get back in the game, and he's probably bored. Given Nova's struggles, they would offer Wright a blank check to return.

Carousel should be pretty lit this year. Ohio State, WV, Michigan likely, Louisville obviously just a matter of time. Could one or both of Larranaga and Hamilton finally retire?

I would guess Keatts will get another year unless State just collapses down the stretch.

Juwan Howard is definitely headed in the wrong direction at Michigan.

Yeah, I think Keatts will get another year.

Howard probably gone at UM.

I think Hamilton more likely to retire than Larranaga, who has the #6 '24 recruit coming in next year.

Carousel might have a lot of action, but probably not in the ACC (aside from Louisville). Other programs either made recent hires or are doing pretty well with what they have (including - gasp - Brownell at Clemson).

Keatts feels pretty done to me. They have an extremely tough schedule to finish, so I guess he has chances to turn it around. But it likely won’t be pretty.
Yeah they could very well end the season going 2-5 and playing a Tuesday ACCT game. The fanbase seems to be over him, so I can't imagine ending the season like this would help his case.

Wonder why Keatts is safe at NC State. This is his 7th year in Raleigh. His best season was his first (2018); that year, the Pack were a NCAAT 9 seed (and lost in the first round). The only other year, the Pack made the NCAAT was last season, when the Pack also lost in the first round. So, Keatts has not won a NCAAT game in his seven seasons in Raleigh.

Also, the ACC Tournament still means something to Pack fans, and Keatts' teams have done nothing in the ACCT as well (the Pack has yet to make an ACCT Semifinal; the Pack are 4-5 under Keatts in the ACCT; the year that COVID cancelled the tournament; the tournament was cancelled before the Pack could play in the quarters). Keatts career ACC record is 62-64. He doesn't seem to recruit particularly well. Given NC State fans expectations, would think that they would be agitating for a change.

Back