• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

isn't MSU high on the list of teams that historically overachieve their seed?

the anti-Wake Forest, if you will

This was definitely a thing a few years ago, but I don't think it has persisted.

ETA: Just found an article with that claim... It was from 2000-2019.

Izzo is a great coach. Always liked him, he does have a first round loss to a #15 seed (MTSU) as a #2 seed (2016 NCAAT), but if you get into that many tournaments, the randomness of the sport will get you sometimes. Before he had completely gone into Weekend at Bernie's mode, K lost to Mercer and Lehigh in the NCAAT. Bill Self has lost to Bucknell. In 2015, Jay Wright's Villanova team was 33-2, and they lost in the 2nd round to an completely mediocre NC State team coached by the legendary Mark Gottfried. FWIW, at that point Jay Wright had lost in the 1st or 2nd round as a two seed or better three times (he actually did it again in 2017), and Wright's rep was that he was a poor NCAAT coach. Wright then led Villanova to three final 4s and two Nattys over the next 7 seasons.

As opposed to a football school, 100%. WF last beat a top 10 team during the Nuremberg Trials.
We’re neither, sadly. We are a baseball, golf, soccer, and tennis school who also had a good Field Hockey stretch at one point.

Izzo is a great coach. Always liked him, he does have a first round loss to a #15 seed (MTSU) as a #2 seed (2016 NCAAT), but if you get into that many tournaments, the randomness of the sport will get you sometimes. Before he had completely gone into Weekend at Bernie's mode, K lost to Mercer and Lehigh in the NCAAT. Bill Self has lost to Bucknell. In 2015, Jay Wright's Villanova team was 33-2, and they lost in the 2nd round to an completely mediocre NC State team coached by the legendary Mark Gottfried. FWIW, at that point Jay Wright had lost in the 1st or 2nd round as a two seed or better three times (he actually did it again in 2017), and Wright's rep was that he was a poor NCAAT coach. Wright then led Villanova to three final 4s and two Nattys over the next 7 seasons.
You left out Odom losing to Butler and Gaudio losing to Cleveland State.

I don’t know about that but every time I pick them to make a deep run, the lose in the first weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bennett is only 54 so that would be pretty surprising. He’s already won a title though and maybe he’s just not interested in the NIL/transfer game.

Bennett is only 54 so that would be pretty surprising. He’s already won a title though and maybe he’s just not interested in the NIL/transfer game.

Could be.

I know I'd hate coaching in this NIL $$$/transfer portal environment. He'd be great on TV.

There's a fun coaching carousel opening round matchup in the WCC when #9 seed Pepperdine (12-19) plays #8 seed Pacific (6-25). Pepperdine fired coach Lorenzo Romar yesterday. Pacific also 'reassigned' their HC, Leonard Perry, yesterday. So, the lame duck Romar will coach against Pacific assistant Josh Newman tomorrow night.

I was looking into Justin Gray's coaching stats... and came across Bucky McMillan at Samford

He's 40 years old...
  • Has Samford up to 87 in kenpom, 26-5 overall and 15-3 in conference (including OOC losses to just purdue in game #1 [although they did lose by 53 pts!?!] and VCU)
  • His trend line is impressive - took over a team that finished 321 with Scott Padgett and then up to 264 in 2021, 182 in 2022, 136 in 2023, and now cracking the top 90 this season
  • #6 in the country in effective fg % and that looks like a consistent trend as a strength with his teams
  • Recruited a rare 3-star for the Southern conference out of Providence Day last year ()
  • And another 3-star for 2024 ()

Love Bucky Ball.

Bucky is the real deal. Samford basketball was in a dark place place before they hired Bucky out of the Alabama HS ranks, with zero college coaching experience even as an assistant. It was a huge risk, but Samford basketball could take a huge risk because they had sucked for so long:

• Before hiring McMillan Samford basketball never had a winning SOCON record, and never finished higher than tied for 5th in the conference
  • The season before McMillan was hired Samford was #323 10-23 (4-14)
  • In the four seasons of Bucky Ball:
    • 2021 - #264 6-13 (2-9) DFL in the SOCON
    • 2022 - #182 20-11 (10-8) 4th in the SOCON
    • 2023 - #136 28-8 (15-3) T1st in the SOCON
    • 2024 - #92 26-5 (15-3) 1st outright SOCON Champion in school history
  • #6 in the country in offensive pace. They run, run, run...
  • Before hiring Bucky, Samford's highest KP rank ever was #144.

Turned out to be a home run with Samford improving each of his four years . He will be a Power Conference coach this year or next....

I've been impressed by what I've learned so far from Bucky

I'm ready to run through a wall for Bucky

Back