• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Was talking over the weekend with a buddy of mine who went to Louisville and is in the know there and he said a lot of people want Scott Drew. He acknowledged how hilariously unrealistic this is since they'd need to offer Calipari money for him to even listen to a pitch to leave a school he's won a championship at and is in best basketball conference to take on a total rebuild. I still found it funny though.

He said the people with the money who actually call the shots are planning to target Mick Cronin pretty hard. Has ties to the area, UCLA's NIL situation is apparently a mess/non-existent, and the terms of his contract are changing quite a bit with the move to the B1G which will make the buyout less painful. There are rumors he wants out at UCLA.

Currently open Power 6 jobs:

• Depaul
  • tOSU
  • Washington (rumored that Utah State's Danny Sprinkle will get this job)
  • WV
  • L'ville (not official but essentially so)
Non-Power openings:
  • Bryant
  • Cal Poly
  • Central Arkansas
  • Charleston Southern
  • Detroit
  • Fairfield
  • Houston Christian
  • IUPUI
  • Loyola-MD
  • MO State
  • ODU
  • Pacific
  • Pepperdine
  • S. Illinois
  • Illinois-Chicago
  • William and Mary
  • Western Carolina

Weird for that to be out when Oklahoma is supposed to be dancing.

I assume the coastal gig came with a big pay raise

That feels like when Roy said he didn't give a shit about Carolina. It makes no sense for your team to know their coach is leaving prior to the NCAA tournament, but still would think he ends up leaving after their first round loss.

That feels like when Roy said he didn't give a shit about Carolina. It makes no sense for your team to know their coach is leaving prior to the NCAA tournament, but still would think he ends up leaving after their first round loss.
Sounds like Brinks trucks blocked his driveway so the moving van couldn't get in.

Guaranteed half his team will leave after this year so what's the big deal.

Does Oklahoma even want Moser to be there? This seemed like one of those scenarios where a guy jumps to a new job before he gets fired. He’s 54-44 overall there and 20-34 in conference.

Where is our resident OU & B12 basketball savant when you need him?

The DePaul arena is located in the south loop in a cool little neighborhood but on the cons side you have to share the facility with the WNBA team.

Pat Kelsey was the cog that made Wake Forest run during the Prosser era leading us to 5 NCAAs. It was obvious to anyone attending games. Many argued just that here.

Then we passed on him and hired Gaudio. Then we passed on him and hired Buzz. Then we passed on him and hired Manning. Then we passed on him and hired Forbes.

Now he will qualify for his 5th NCAA tournament as a head coach.

Is this our last cycle to hire him or have we pissed him off too much?

I would think he would go to Xavier if that job opens since he has more affection for that place than ours. But this may well be Xavier’s last shot as well. I would imagine he will get some good P5 offers this cycle.

Pat Kelsey was the cog that made Wake Forest run during the Prosser era leading us to 5 NCAAs. It was obvious to anyone attending games. Many argued just that here.

Then we passed on him and hired Gaudio. Then we passed on him and hired Buzz. Then we passed on him and hired Manning. Then we passed on him and hired Forbes.

I would think he would go to Xavier if that job opens since he has more affection for that place than ours. But this may well be Xavier’s last shot as well. I would imagine he will get some good P5 offers this cycle.
No disrespect to Kels who I think very highly of and know he’ll continue to be successful, but the key to Prosser era was:

Prosser
Battle
Kelsey

In that order. Would add Mack there for the brief time he was on staff.

Kelsey is a high energy guy and that translates in recruiting and preparation. JB coached our guards and was lead on some of our biggest recruits. Kels coached bigs and certainly pushed the team to get better.

Disagree now. Disagreed here then.

Folks can argue we shouldn’t have hired Kelsey at 29. Folks cannot however say that no one was arguing for that. And publicly.

Disagree now. Disagreed here then.

Folks can argue we shouldn’t have hired Kelsey at 29. Folks cannot however say that no one was arguing for that. And publicly.
Who is saying that? Are they in the room with us right now?

Yup. He says HE hasn't spoken to anyone. Well, of course not. His people have done the speaking. How many times have we heard this from coaches and they take the new gig within days. In this case, he needs these season to be over and then a few days of more formal negotiations.

Was this before or after you told me when we attended the 2009 Gaudio game against a listless UNC team that we lost that you thought we needed to throw out the whole Prosser coaching tree and start fresh?

That said, glad to see Kelsey having success and he's going to get his shot sooner than later. Don't see Xavier pulling the plug on Sean Miller for at least several years though.

Back