• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

I will never understand the continuing fascination with some on a poor to mediocre coach coming from a rival school like Wes Miller.

Imagine you are an insecure little man, so desperately seeking the approval of others that you often make stuff up or latch on to someone "famous" in the hopes you can gravytrain some sort of aspirational clout by association.

Always concerned about a coach in a mid-major conference when his kid is the best player in the conference by far. Is it coaching that led to Darien DeVries sustained success at Drake or that his kid is a future NBA player competing against MO Valley competition? DeVries won't have that edge in the Big 12. That said, DeVries won at Drake before Tucker joined him.

Imagine you are an insecure little man, so desperately seeking the approval of others that you often make stuff up or latch on to someone "famous" in the hopes you can gravytrain some sort of aspirational clout by association.
and have spoken in the past about hanging out in locker rooms with a younger man

Imagine your life is finding a shitty bar in Greensboro to get hammered and then chasing ambulances around the "city". Then for fun you stalk the local community college basketball coach.

New face in the ol Atlantic Coast Conference

Smith is great coach. Check out this quote from Richmond's Chris Mooney about Kyle Smith:

"the smartest man in college basketball. I think he has the best feel and overview of basketball programs and coaching of anyone I've ever met."

Feel for Wazzu and Oregon State. Not only did they lose in the game of musical chairs in realignment, the Beavers lost an excellent football coach and alum this past off-season, and now Washington State loses their basketball coach to another Pac-12 school that received the Power Conference invite. Sucks.

Last edited:
Imagine your life is finding a shitty bar in Greensboro to get hammered and then chasing ambulances around the "city". Then for fun you stalk the local community college basketball coach.
DR is a prick, but he's also been pretty public about his relationship with alcohol, so can't say i think very highly of this post

Looks like Wake will no longer hold the record for a buyout of a basketball coach. At least Kentucky got some wins and championships for its money.

…If UK wants to get rid of Calipari, it will have to pony up: His buyout would be a record-setting sum for a men's basketball coach.

…Calipari would be owed a buyout of $34,968,749 as of April 1 if he is fired without cause, according to USA TODAY Sports’ coaching salary database. Kentucky and Calipari agreed on a new contract in 2019, one day after the team's Elite Eight loss to Auburn. The new agreement ends June 30, 2029.

…Should Calipari move on, his buyout figure would set a record.

And more than double the previous high-water mark for a men's basketball coach.

When Wake Forest fired Danny Manning in 2021, it gave the former Kansas star a buyout payment of nearly $14.7 million, according to USA TODAY Sports. It's the largest buyout sum any men's basketball coach has received since USA TODAY Sports began tracking buyout data in 2017.
Kelvin Sampson to Kentucky?

So it is okay for him to slam everyone for "being broke" and "dumb Wake alums", but we cant tell the truth about him?
What truth are you talking about? I am a recovering alcoholic who hasn't had a drink in 4 years. I have been open about that to reporters and anyone else who asks.

And, unlike you, I became a mult-millionaire while drinking. You can march your tax returns right over here if you want to measure.

Kentucky Basketball recruiting rankings since the Wildcats last Final 4 (2015)

• 2015: 7 recruits #1
  • 2016: 5 recruits #2
  • 2017: 8 recruits #2
  • 2018: 5 recruits #2
  • 2019: 5 recruits #2
  • 2020: 5 recruits #1
  • 2021: 4 recruits #2
  • 2022: 4 recruits #5
  • 2023: 10 recruits #1
BTW, some of the players that KY has landed during that period:

• Jamal Murray
  • De'Aaron Fox
  • Malik Monk
  • Bam Adebayo
  • SGA
  • Jared Vanderbilt
  • PJ Washington
  • Tyler Herro
  • Tyrese Maxey
  • Immanuel Quickley

FWIW, players on the current KY roster and their 2024 draft projection:

#10 Reed Sheppard
#15 Robert Dillingham
#36 Antonio Reeves
#44 Justin Edwards
#46 Zvonmir Ivisic
#66 DJ Wagner

Really hard to imagin anyone doing less with this array of talent over the last 10 years (Calipari hasn't advanced his team past the round of 32 since 2019).

Back