• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Kentucky wanted Cal gone but I guess their AD I’d to retire in a year or two, so they wanted to part ways at that time (so new AD can pick their coach). My sauce says big money backing Kentucky was no longer behind Cal (nor were the fans)…sort of a man on an island.

IMO Beard would be a better choice if he didn't have the baggage.

Agree that Beard is probably a better coach.

But is he a little too Billy Clyde for them, in addition to the baggage?

Oats runs a system that will play well in Kentucky.

Kentucky wanted Cal gone but I guess their AD I’d to retire in a year or two, so they wanted to part ways at that time (so new AD can pick their coach). My sauce says big money backing Kentucky was no longer behind Cal (nor were the fans)…sort of a man on an island.

Yeah, I think it was becoming obvious that donors were going to starve NIL donations until a change was made.

Cal can't win without better players. Recently, he can't even win with them.

Kind of funny that a number of coaches got raises/extensions to stay away from the Louisville opening (among others), and now Kentucky is open and some of those guys probably wish they didn't make it harder to get out of their current gigs.

Yeah. Hurley is a NE guy. His entire playing and coaching career has been in that area. And he’s now got the best college job in that region.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And kentucky is probably the second best job at worst in college basketball.

I'd at least call Dan Hurley and make him say no. Same with Billy Donovan.

After that need to secure either Drew or Oats. Were they both to pass then you have to decide if you are gonna break the emergency glass case for Bruce Pearl.

Yeah. Hurley is a NE guy. His entire playing and coaching career has been in that area. And he’s now got the best college job in that region.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could have said the same about Pitino and he turned out ok for Kentucky. Still don't think Hurley leaves though unless they offer him something nuts like $10mm base/year.

So would State have been able to land Cal this year were they not locking g up Keatts for life?

Why do people thing Donovan would be a good hire? He's been out of college for a long time, and would have no experience with the NIL/free transfer world.

How many guys from UK's class go with him to Arkansas?
I think most. There is one kid from kentucky, he probably stays. Unless the hire is a home run and the NIL dam opens up, the new coach will have to portal scramble for his first uk roster

Back