• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

all of those coaches had multiple deep runs in the tournament at their previous programs, they were all well established winners before.

Kind of... But I also just looked at the top 5 teams in the country this past season. I didn't do some deep dive.

But digging more into just those examples...

Hurley didn't get URI to the NCAAs until his 5th season. They made it in his 5th and 6th seasons and didn't get out of the first weekend either time.

Until Barnes made the Sweet 16 with Tennessee in his 4th year, it had been 11 seasons since he'd advanced out of the first weekend.

Kelvin Sampson made the Final Four in 2002 and Elite Eight in 2003. Didn't make the 2nd weekend of the NCAAs again until 2019. Didn't even coach from 2008 until he took the Houston job in 2015. So there was reason to be skeptical.

Pearl was good at Tennessee... No doubt. Can't argue otherwise.

KP #6-10 doesn't work as well... Arizona, Duke, UNC, Iowa State... But #10 Illinois - Took Underwood until year 3 and it was this year (7th season) that he finally got beyond the first weekend.

#11 Creighton - Doesn't really apply because McDermott came to Creighton with Doug McBuckets.
#12 Gonzaga - Few has been there forever.
#13 Marquette - Shaka got it rolling right away.
#14 Alabama - Oats in Year 2
#15 Baylor - Took Drew until Year 5 and they got bounced as a #11 in round 1. No tourney in Year 6, but an Elite Eight in Year 7.
#16 Michigan State - Izzo
#17 Wisconsin - Greg Gard had Sweet 16 first 2 years... Very meh since then.
#18 BYU - Pope had them in tourney right away... Yet to win a game, though (0-2 in 5 years)
#19 Clemson - Brownell made it as a 12 seed in Year 1 (won play in and lost in round 1)... Didn't make tourney again until Year 8.
#20 St. Mary's - Took Randy Bennett until Year 4 to make tourney (lost as a #10 seed)... Only 1 tourney in first 6 years.

So yeah, there are examples.

I’ve made it very clear that I don’t view the handful of wins between 15 and 20 per season as very meaningful. No tournament is no tournament. When I look back on my fandom of Wake Basketball I’m not going to fucking reminisce about that year we had a few good games in January but didn’t even get an NIT bid. No, with the passage of time that shit is going to blend right in with [redacted] and Mannings tenure.

I understand the frustration. I totally get it.

But Bz had 8, 13, 13, 17 wins
Manning had 13, 11, 19, 11, 11, 13
Forbes is 6-16 (COVID), 25, 19, 21

That's not going from 15 to 20.

And people dismiss metrics, but there is some value in comparing them:
Bz - 259 211 137 117
Manning - 120 118 36 89 174 103
Forbes - 175 (COVID) 35 86 28

I'm certainly not happy with mediocrity and shitting the bed when it counts, but Forbes is the guy I want running this program in the age of the transfer portal and NIL. I don't know if we're going to be a Top 25 team next year, but I'd bet my life that we won't suck. And that confidence is solely because I think Forbes will put together a roster that can compete. With the reputation he's built for turning overlooked/disappointing players into important pieces AND some NIL support, this could be the year he breaks through.

But sure, I'll be skeptical that we actually get over the hump until about mid-March next year. I'm not insane.

Forbes needs to go spend a couple weeks with Dick Bennett like Dino did. That said, I don't disagree with ATS.

Bucky made the tournament in year 4

We really should hire Bucky

I didn’t intend to repeat my same argument from the credibility thread, I know everybody is tired of that. I’m was just responding to the question about Wake being a bad job but still expecting Forbes to make the tournament. Good jobs have higher expectations. Wake could be a better job if we started making the tournament regularly.

images
You seemed to need some help with the obvious.

Kentucky gonna be begging Cal to come back soon

I guess things have progressed with Drew to Kentucky as Chip Gaines reached out to my friend at KSR...lol. I guess shiplap will only get you so far!
the word is that Scott Drew’s wife is super private and is worried about living in a bubble in Lexington where her husband would be the biggest celebrity in the state.

the word is that Scott Drew’s wife is super private and is worried about living in a bubble in Lexington where her husband would be the biggest celebrity in the state.
You mean where they can’t even stroller walk their dog down the street in private?

Back