• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Presidential Primaries and Election

Makes no sense to compare Feinstein to Biden considering basically any Democrat could have run in Feinstein's place and won.
I’m unconvinced that Biden could not replaced by any number of Democratic candidates and perform similarly if not better.

That's not what I argued and there is absolutely risk that you're completely wrong about that.

There was no risk in having Feinstein step aside and running another Democrat for her seat.

Plenty of risk running Biden, I don’t trust portraying either option as significantly more risky than the other.

Trump had made the general electorate a captive audience, the notion that any likely replacement to Biden is going to significantly scare away Biden voters seems far fetched.

Where are Biden voters going to go? They’re going to abandon the Democrats? Yeah right.

Plenty of risk running Biden, I don’t trust portraying either option as significantly more risky than the other.
I mean, historically speaking there is no precedent for a fairly successful incumbent to step aside after one term and let another party member run instead. So, there are uncertainties and risks to both suggestions.

God damn the JCD circle jerk group think about this is a sight to behold.

2 things can be true:

Biden is in an accelerated mental decline

And

He is still a more sane option than Trump.

That said, I don't like taking chances and wish there was a safer candidate but I'm not sure there is one.

One thing is certain - this election just became about Biden's mental fitness and less about the economy, etc.

I sympathize with Joe Biden. There is one thing that a lot of people don't understand about speech and language disorders and it is that they get worse under stress and sleep deprivation. I am dyslexic, which while not a stutter, is a speech and language disorder so I've got some experience (you've all seen my typos). Those disorders take a lot of training and then lifelong effort to deal with. When you're tired or stressed, it is harder to exert that effort and maintain the facade that nothing is wrong. My dyslexia comes out with a vengeance every so often, it is embarrassing honestly. I sometimes forget how to spell the word "of," my brain wants to make "ov" and thinks "of" is nonsensical. I suspect that a lot of what you all are calling rapid cognitive decline or dementia, is actually Biden's stuttering brain getting tripped on itself more than it used to because he is tired and stressed. I admit I am speculating about his mental acuity and the cause behind these "senior moments" but even if I am wrong I find it weird that his underlying speech and language disorder is not more often apart of these conversations.

I still believe that another’s VP Candidate would lessen the concern. I get Kamala being a minority is an issue but aren’t there other Dem minority Candidates that would be viable? If your saying that it’s a sure thing that Kamala is on the ticket and will be a Candidate in ‘28, how many think she will get secure the nomination? What will the Dems do THEN not to lose the minority vote in ‘28 if a minority doesn’t head the ticket. No matter what you think about Kamala, aren’t the circumstances critical enough today with that loon closing in to even consider it? Do it now; secure the White House in ‘24. Few of us are crazy about it but 4 years of Trump would be devastating.

It became more about his mental fitness instead of the economy because the economy has largely been fixed. So now the right is scrambling to grab ahold of anything.

It became more about his mental fitness instead of the economy because the economy has largely been fixed. So now the right and mainstream media seeking false equivalency is scrambling to grab ahold of anything.
Addendum

Curious what you all think of yourselves, not to be concerned with Biden’s age and cognition, vs what you think of us who are concerned. Do you think we’re fools for listening and seeing an 80yo man…act and sound like an 80 year old man?

There’s a difference between prioritizing concerns and pretending they don’t exist.

Curious what you all think of yourselves, not to be concerned with Biden’s age and cognition, vs what you think of us who are concerned. Do you think we’re fools for listening and seeing an 80yo man…act and sound like an 80 year old man?
I think people are overstating the "mental decline" to justify their fear of losing the election or dislike of Biden.

You're basically saying the country is running fine in the hands of someone who can barely mentally function.

You're basically saying the country is running fine in the hands of someone who can barely mentally function.

I think the honest crux of this debate isn’t whether or not Biden is capable, it’s that the party and society as a whole has decided that it doesn’t matter - because we believe the political apparatus behind the Executive branch will allow basically anyone to be President no matter their capability or functioning level. The value of a presidential candidate is almost entirely their name recognition and popularity - their ability to get elected.

I think people are overstating the "mental decline" to justify their fear of losing the election or dislike of Biden.

What does overstating mean, though?

I would be skeptical of somebody in severe cognitive decline doing most tasks that impact me directly. Why is the presidency any different?

My question isn’t about Trump, but just about why you don’t appear to take this situation seriously. Would you feel comfortable with Biden being your department chair, driving your bus, flying your plane, doing your taxes, teaching your kids, or doing construction work on your house, etc etc?

It’s ok to say no.

I don’t think he is in cognitive decline to the degree that it’s blown out to especially as stated by Birdman I think a disability exacerbates a preconceived notion that he is. He seems pretty sharp for someone that has every damn thing scrutinized. The much much younger speaker of the house confused Israel and Iran this week but because the idea he is some brain mushed geriatric doesn’t exist it’s completely skipped over.

Back