• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Races (Non-president)

I wonder if noted feminist and education reform advocate jhmd could throw in a good word.

Former Baylor and Tennessee Titans LB and 3rd term Texas rep Democrat Colin Allred is planning to run for Senate to challenge Ted Cruz. Allred defeated Pete Sessions in 2018 forcing Sessions to run in a different district in 2020 and 2022.

Any particular reason or just Texas?

Yeah. Hopefully they have good polling and a good ground operation to decide how to spend on this race. Money is going to come in for this race because Cruz sucks. But they need to spend where they have a chance to hold on to 50 senators.

Beto ran a strong race against Cruz in 2018 and lost by less than three percentage points, so Cruz definitely lacks the popularity of other Republican pols in Texas. Having said that, it is Texas, and so it's also very unlikely that any other TX Democrat will run any stronger against Cruz than Beto did, unfortunately.

I'm not bullish on any Dem's chances. I also don't think Beto was some incredible force that represents the high water mark for TX Dems. I'm concerned about demographics. Like Florida, conservatives from around the country are moving to Texas.

Yeah. Hopefully they have good polling and a good ground operation to decide how to spend on this race. Money is going to come in for this race because Cruz sucks. But they need to spend where they have a chance to hold on to 50 senators.
If Beto couldn't get momentum for Dems after Uvalde, then I do not like the chances of any Dem for statewide office in Texas.

For all the wealthy Californians moving to Texas, they don’t seem to be upsetting the political balance.

isn't it a lot of right wingers moving to a safe space?
I don’t think that this population migration fits into a partisan left/right dichotomy. As a nation we allow unchecked inequality to create the conditions that drive huge swaths of people to move, and rather than try to mitigate that on a national level, we instead encourage states to compete with each other in a race to the bottom. There’s nothing inherently right wing about moving to find lower taxes and a lower cost of living, what’s right-wing is a nation leaving the fate of its impoverished and unhoused to the individual whims of local tax payers.

If Beto couldn't get momentum for Dems after Uvalde, then I do not like the chances of any Dem for statewide office in Texas.
I don't think Beto is the end all be all candidate. I think people outside of Texas really like him and he's probably a good organizer. But someone else could be a better candidate.

It could be like Georgia. Stacey Abrams lost by 1.4% in 2018 and 7.5% in 2022. Yet in that same period, Democrats won the presidential and two senate elections including three runoffs. Abrams didn't have the juice for whatever reason but Biden, Ossoff, and Warnock did.

For all the wealthy Californians moving to Texas, they don’t seem to be upsetting the political balance.

isn't it a lot of right wingers moving to a safe space?
Yeah. My theory is that state-to-state migration keeps states like Florida and Texas from turning purple or blue and has turned Georgia and Virginia purple. We know that Florida would be less red if not for huge retiree communities. Then they added an influx of COVID movers. Part of my theory is that Republicans moving from California (over 6M Trump voters in 2020) obviously doesn't impact the presidential race, but it could turn purple House districts blue over time.

Back