• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

We're still ranked, by the way.
Which is stupid. Love the Deacs, but this team has done nothing to be ranked among the top 25 teams in the nation. WF has won 1 of its 4 ACC series (against a L'ville team that hadn't won a conference series in more than a year), and then WF got killed against its best OOC opponent (Coastal). There is time to turn it around (its running out), but there are at least 50 teams that have better seasons than WF so far. If the committtee picked a field of 64 for the NCAA baseball tournament right now, there is no chance WF would get a bid, and if WF got in because of reputation, it would be BS. Win games and get ranked.

i dont totally disagree, but we are still 30th in the rpi, so then voters giving us the benefit of the doubt based on talent, injuries and some close losses to leave us towards the bottom of the top 25 doesn’t seem that crazy.

it’s not like there are a bunch of teams killing it that are being left out. we should probably be behind ucf and nebraska, but not sure there is much difference between what we’ve done and teams like ole miss or oklahoma st

Tickets on Stubhub for Tuesday's game vs. UNC-G are going for $2 GA and $3 reserved. So there should be a good crowd...of UNC-G fans.

I have 2 reserved seats for UNCG if interested….PM me and I can text them to you.

I’m legitimately concerned about us making the ACCT, let alone the NCAAs.
I know we haven’t been playing well but I think this is too far

The ACC is second (or best) baseball conference and our conference series losses are to three top 15 teams

We still have plenty of time to make a run. Now if we keep losing series over the next few weeks, that’s different

A lot of it is hoping and praying that you don’t waste your time recruiting a kid who is going to go pro. Really good freshmen don’t often make it to college.
True. I think baseball recruiting might be the toughest in NCAA. Because MLB has the minor leagues, you have to walk a very careful line in baseball recruiting between talent and recruiting someone so good that they never show up on campus. Throw in the fact that most baseball scholarships are partial and it makes for a difficult recruiting game to play

I’ve never felt great about the fact that we seem to be counting on bullpen guys who are coming off serious arm injuries.

Where I’m disappointed is that our freshmen and sophomore pitchers generally seem to be outclassed by their freshmen/sophomore counterparts on opposing teams. UNC and Duke in particular seemed to throw young guys who were more effective than ours. Maybe our recruiting just hasn’t made that leap yet?
Pitch lab is amazing…but it could also have the effect of these young guys getting worse before they get better

UNCG looking to complete the WF sweep tonight. The Spartans are 15-11 on the season (4-2 in the SOCON). They have played 4 other games against ACC teams. Clemson swept UNCG at Clemson, but UNCG pounded NC State in Raleigh beating the Pack 18-3.

Pretty well known that minor leaguers make absolutely no money. I wonder if NIL in NCAA baseball has or will reach the point where it's a more attractive option than the minors for a few years?

Pretty well known that minor leaguers make absolutely no money. I wonder if NIL in NCAA baseball has or will reach the point where it's a more attractive option than the minors for a few years?

It has already for many
Minor league players finally unionized last year, which helped their salaries, but still pale in comparison to what they could get through NIL, especially because few HS player jump right to AAA

Contract Minimums:

Rookie league: $19,800
High A and AA: $27,300
AAA: 45,800 (was $17,500!!!)

I would expect 2021 MiLB contraction has also made college more appealing.

Until they reach the majors, the only significant money paid to draft-picks is bonus money. While there are big ranges, college baseball NIL won't keep many, if any, top players from signing:

• 1st round bonus: $9 million to $2 million
  • 2nd round: $2.6 million to $1.5
  • 3rd round: $2.5 million to $500K
  • 4th round: $1.5 million to $250K
  • 5th round: $750K to $200K
  • Up through the later rounds, MLB teams will save money on other deals to offer bigger contracts to players that might have another financial option (like NIL).
Also, MLB teams know what money is available to players that they draft; so, if a player has no eligibility left, he's getting almost no bonus because he doesn't have the college option left. So, a player with one year of eligibility left may get offered a sweet NIL package, but there will be little bonus money for him, in the next draft, after his eligibility expires. Also, MLB scouts are really hung up on age. The younger the better. So, an older player won't be valued as highly if he waits a year; he also will be a year farther away from the big money for baseball players: when they qualify for arbitration and FA. So, NIL will help keep some talent away from signing a professional contract, it may not be as big of deal as some think.

Under an hour until game time and still waiting on Walt's wisdom!!

Under an hour until game time and still waiting on Walt's wisdom!!
I think I’ll follow this one on stattracker. Also, we’ve arguably been waiting on wisdom from Walt all season despite what the tweets want you to believe.

Back