• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Just got back and had to get caught up reading from the last couple hours. Almost wish I hadn't. What a roller coaster of a game.

Nice little park, and gorgeous night though. Beats some of those 30 something degrees games. Glad to see we started grinding some rallies too.

Good friends with Trevor at first base. Anyone notice the plate umpire is the same dude from last night?
No way, thats got to be unusual to be behind the plate both games. We were talking about him looking similar, but the way he was interacting with us in between innings was completely different from last night. Lots of grins and jokes tonight. Maybe Bill had something to do with the mood last night. But he was good tonight.

Just got back and had to get caught up reading from the last couple hours. Almost wish I hadn't. What a roller coaster of a game.

Nice little park, and gorgeous night though. Beats some of those 30 something degrees games. Glad to see we started grinding some rallies too.
The campus there is ridiculous. I think Hammond has that program heading in the right direction.

I'll be at the game Saturday, but will not be able to bring the truck. What is the parking situation like? Last year we parked in the Gold lot, but haven't been to a game in person yet this year.
I’ve parked in three different lots depending on what time I’ve gotten there/if I had a pass. I can’t imagine there would be an issue parking in the Joel or the Gold Lot against Western.

No way, thats got to be unusual to be behind the plate both games. We were talking about him looking similar, but the way he was interacting with us in between innings was completely different from last night. Lots of grins and jokes tonight. Maybe Bill had something to do with the mood last night. But he was good tonight.
Just like basketball, baseball umpires work in multiple conferences. Big South assignor didn't know or care what he was doing Tuesday when he set the schedule :ROFLMAO:

By chance, does anyone have a parking pass for Sunday? I am planning on taking my 85 yo Alzheimer’s mom, but don’t necessarily want to say to her, “Stay here for 5-10 min” while I go park.

Last week MLB Pipeline updated its 2024 MLB Mock draft. Here is the update on WF players and incoming recruits:

4. Nick Kurtz
7. Chase Burns
13. Seaver King
55. Josh Hartle (Hartle's regression is noted in the scouting report)
77. Michael Massey

So, Hartle and Massey have dropped. Hartle was projected as a late first/early second; he's now mid to late second. Massey was a second round pick; he's now a third round pick.

Also, WF is going to be sweating the following WF HS Class of 2024 commitments:

18. RHP Ryan Sloan
71. RHP Duncan Marsten
90. RHP Chris Levonas
113. SS JD Dix
146. C Matt Conte

Sloan isn't really a sweat; barring something unexpected, he will sign with an MLB as a 1st round pick; his scouting reports is just ridiculous; he is up to 99 and throws three pitches with command. The rest are up in the air, and it will be a battle to keep them. Conte seems like the most set on going to college (which would be great because WF will need a catcher). Here is :

The link to the top 150 Mock Draft Projection

There are detailed scouting reports on each projected pick.

Last edited:
Excerpt from Keith Law's chat today regarding The Nuclear One:

JT: How does Kurtz compare to recent bat first 1B draftees such as Vaughn and Torkelson?
Keith Law: He reminds me a lot of Vaughn, but he’s a LHB, and I think he has better bat speed right now than Vaughn did. Still a worrisome profile. Was very glad to see Kurtz come back from the injury and get way more aggressive – when I saw him this year and even last year I worried he was taking to take, happy to walk, rather than looking to do damage in advantageous counts.
Keith Law: Torkelson was a different profile – nowhere near as disciplined as the other two, more raw power, decent argument he was power over hit. I ranked him highly, so I don’t want to make it sound like I didn’t like him or think he was a good pick, but I didn’t think he was a great athlete and thought he was a guy who’d have to hit from day one because he may not make adjustments that easily.
Keith Law: Vaughn, BTW, may be one of the biggest busts in the last 20 years. That guy dominated in the Pac-12 for three years – the Pac-12 used to be a major college conference, kids – and there was nothing about the swing to make you doubt he’d at least hit for average with high OBPs. The White Sox definitely rushed him, but at some point he needs to make an adjustment, too.

Bob Loblaw Keith Law Blog

Last week MLB Pipeline updated its 2024 MLB Mock draft. Here is the update on WF players and incoming recruits:

4. Nick Kurtz
7. Chase Burns
13. Seaver King
55. Josh Hartle (Hartle's regression is noted in the scouting report)
77. Michael Massey

So, Hartle and Massey have dropped. Hartle was projected as a late first/early second; he's now mid to late second. Massey was a second round pick; he's now a third round pick.

Also, WF is going to be sweating the following WF HS Class of 2024 commitments:

18. RHP Ryan Sloan
71. RHP Duncan Marsten
90. RHP Chris Levonas
113. SS JD Dix
146. C Matt Conte

Sloan isn't really a sweat; barring something unexpected, he will sign with an MLB as a 1st round pick; his scouting reports is just ridiculous; he is up to 99 and throws three pitches with command. The rest are up in the air, and it will be a battle to keep them. Conte seems like the most set on going to college (which would be great because WF will need a catcher). Here is :

The link to the top 150 Mock Draft Projection

There are detailed scouting reports on each projected pick.
Wonder if we have ever had that many signees ranked so high in the same year?

See the report says Marsten will be draft eligible after his sophomore year should he decide on coming to Wake. Also looks to be the same for Conte although it doesn’t explicitly say it. Just says is 19 now.

Last edited:
Too bad this evening would be a great day for baseball. Not so great for Saturday/Sunday. Should just cancel the series don't see any upside anyway.

What times are the games this weekend? I thought I saw 4 somewhere for tomorrow, but the official site has 6PM?

Saturday - 6PM
Sunday - 1PM and 30 mins after first game ends(?)

Hoping weather holds for the weekend, but it doesn't look promising.

Hit one in his 2nd game this year as well. 4-8 in his 2 games to start this year after injury. They have been playing Pierce Bennett’s Clearwater team all week.

Hawke and Keener matched up all week as well with Kannapolis and Lynchburg. Keener with another strong outing tonight. Have to think he is headed to Winston and the Dash soon.

Last edited:
Back