• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

I'm still a little confused on starting with Falco, as it pretty much guarantees that we won't see Burns on Tuesday or Wednesday of ACCT. Maybe if we have a pool game that matters on Thursday or Friday he would pitch then.

I guess the idea is that Hartle wasn't going to be pitching in pool play of the ACCT regardless, so we might as well keep Burns on normal rest this week. Then we plan for a Falco/bullpen start in Game 1 of pool play and decide whether to use Burns in Game 2 of pool play from there.

I'm still a little confused on starting with Falco, as it pretty much guarantees that we won't see Burns on Tuesday or Wednesday of ACCT. Maybe if we have a pool game that matters on Thursday or Friday he would pitch then.

I guess the idea is that Hartle wasn't going to be pitching in pool play of the ACCT regardless, so we might as well keep Burns on normal rest this week. Then we plan for a Falco/bullpen start in Game 1 of pool play and decide whether to use Burns in Game 2 of pool play from there.
Sadly the ACCT isn’t on anyone’s mind. I’d love to win it but the number one priority is the regional. And the rotation will follow as such. The dumb format has made the ACCT almost useless

FWIW, don't think that the sports books have caught on that Falco rather than Burns is starting tonight. WF is still a heavy favorite tonight.

Sadly the ACCT isn’t on anyone’s mind. I’d love to win it but the number one priority is the regional. And the rotation will follow as such
I mean it's not meaningless, especially for a team like Wake on the knife's edge of a top 8 seed. Even if Wake loses 2/3 to NCST they should still host a regional, but if they do that then they'd need a really strong performance at the ACCT to get a chance to host a super.

I get it that the ACCT is not a big priority, but it still matters.

Tonight's game feels so massive. Going up against NCST's best starter with Falco. Win this one, and winning the series should be straightforward with Burns and Hartle to follow. Lose it, and you need both of those games.

Tonight is certainly the one that I least expect to win of the three, but since it's the first game then losing tonight will make winning the series an uphill climb.

I also question pitching a bullpen game as the first game - Are we thinking that will give those arms more rest in case they are needed for Hartle's Saturday start?

This seems like pretty sound logic, since they definitely weren't gonna go with Hartle on two days short rest this weekend and if we end up playing on Tuesday, the two games are equally important to advancing -- so even if Burns started today, there's no way they would pitch him on two days short rest on Tuesday. So we get to keep Burns on regular rest without any real downside.

I also question pitching a bullpen game as the first game - Are we thinking that will give those arms more rest in case they are needed for Hartle's Saturday start?
I think the logic is more about keeping Burns on his Friday schedule. He's going to have to pitch on short rest eventually in the postseason if things go well for Wake, and you don't really want to start him doing that now.

I mean it's not meaningless, especially for a team like Wake on the knife's edge of a top 8 seed. Even if Wake loses 2/3 to NCST they should still host a regional, but if they do that then they'd need a really strong performance at the ACCT to get a chance to host a super.

It’s not meaningless but I think the staff would rather keep the rotation set so everyone is rested for the regional rather than go all out and win the ACCT

Meh, I couldn’t even tell you who won the acc tournament the last few years, but I can tell you which acc teams made Omaha.
Clemson won it last year. Won 4 games in 5 days to do so. Was really hot over the last two months of the season, 7-0 in ACC series after a home sweep by Wake Forest.

Won the opening game of its regional and then lost to Tennessee and ... Charlotte.

It remains much more important to use the ACCT to set/rest your pitching for the NCAAT, as long as you're not outside the bubble.

Let’s not forget that you can host a super without being a top 8 seed. The regionals will not be chalk.

Back