• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

WF’s Tuesday opponent, UNCG, swept Fairfield this past weekend, but the first two games were one run games (one was extra innings). UNCG gave up lots of runs.
We should be fine. I’m not worried.

One thought I forgot to mention- we are REALLY aggressive on the basepaths, especially Tellier.

I'm not 100% sure how I feel about that. I don't love the idea of running into more outs, but I assume we are not going to hit as many home runs as we did last year, so manufacturing runs may be welcome.
I’m OK with it. Overall we have very good team speed on the base paths. Facing lefty pitchers will change that a bit, but I like having some wheels that the defense has to think about.

Getting Nelson and his cannon in RF would be cool, with Reinisch moving to LF.

Really in the back of my mind I thought we would eventually end up having King play a lot of second and Nelson and/or Williams playing more in CF, but Austin Hawke is proving me wrong early.
I’d love to see Nelly manning RF to be honest. It’s a short porch there so I could see him gunning out agressive baserunners.

Rhino has to prove he deserves a starting spot this year, after missing last season. Haven’t seen it yet, but he should get more chances. It’s early. But Walt should have a short leash.

Is Brody Shawn in the mix to pitch tomorrow? Other than Leffew, seems like he was the only notable arm available who didn't see the field this weekend.

One thought I forgot to mention- we are REALLY aggressive on the basepaths, especially Tellier.

I'm not 100% sure how I feel about that. I don't love the idea of running into more outs, but I assume we are not going to hit as many home runs as we did last year, so manufacturing runs may be welcome.
Plus, King scored from third on a pop-up to second base!

Yeah. I was surprised they sent him there, that was definitely a shallow ball - but loved that he made it, no sweat!
actually, a lot of sweat, but yeah it was a good call this time. Given the common access to common game film, not going to surprise anyone with that again.

actually, a lot of sweat, but yeah it was a good call this time. Given the common access to common game film, not going to surprise anyone with that again.

I just want to be clear... what happened the next time he got into the batter's box boomer?

Saw a bunch of dogs at UNCG's park last year, so we're taking our dachshund to the game on Tuesday.

Y'all feel free to come catch the game with us.

I may come out for part of the game and bring my Staffy out there if she will calm the fuck down.

ON DK:

WF -425
UNCG +300

ON FD:

WF -460
UNCG +320

UNCG swept Fairfield to start the season. The Spartans added a ton of transfers (10) in the off-season, including additions from UNC (see Caleb Cozart), NC State and Richmond. The Spartans leading hitter in the Fairfield series was Caleb Cozart who hit 4 HRs, recorded 7 hits, drove in 11 runs in 11 ABs in three games (guessing Cozart leads the nation in HRs right now). Cozart is a UNC transfer, at UNC Cozart was a pitcher... Crazy. In the SOCON preseason poll, UNCG was picked to finish 6th in the 10 school SOCON. Checking to see who the Spartans start on the mound today.

As always, games like this are dependent on the midweek starters for each team. Teams like UNCG almost never have quality midweek guys, but they might have saved one of their better arms for this matchup.

If Leffew struggles this game has a chance to be a close, high-scoring game. But I don't see UNCG's pitching holding Wake below 5-6 runs minimum, so if Leffew does well it's probably going to be a blowout.

Back