• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Oh it’s super dumb. But if your goal is to advance, I’d pitch them based on seed.

ETA: unless pitching Burns first gives him time to recover and pitch another game?

Oh it’s super dumb. But if your goal is to advance, I’d pitch them based on seed.

ETA: unless pitching Burns first gives him time to recover and pitch another game?

Assuming we are safely in the NCAA tournament, we don't want to mess around pitching Burns on short rest in the otherwise meaningless ACC tournament

my other bullpen hypothesis (that i want to believe is true) is that a huge part of what we do well is using analytics for pitch strategy.

for example, last year sean sullivan came in as a crafty threee pitch lefty but when we looked at the data it made more sense to throw high fastballs. similar with cole roland who was previously a standard fastball-first guy and we switched to leading w his changeup.

but obviously you can’t do that type of analysis without data for our analytics team to work with. i suspect as we get more more and more data points we will see adjustments and better results
if true, would be kinda unusual to be so analytics minded on the pitching side of things yet use pretty outdated small ball strategy on the batting side of things, no?

if true, would be kinda unusual to be so analytics minded on the pitching side of things yet use pretty outdated small ball strategy on the batting side of things, no?
It certainly fits with what we do. I think that pitching is probably easier for more traditionalists to apply advanced metrics do because it's more proactive than reactive.

I don't understand what you mean by "fits with what we do" -- that there is some analytical support for the small ball decisions?

It seems pretty obvious that Walter has ceded a lot of control over pitching decisions to the analytics people but has been much more reluctant to do so with hitting strategy decisions.

It is what it is

yeah i read that the analytics team works almost exclusively on the pitching side.

also to be fair, as infuriating as the sac bunts are, we still rank towards the bottom in the acc in terms of bunting proclivity the past few years.

i get it and i'm not a baseball bro like you guys but that feels pretty unsatisfying for a team with this much potential
also to be fair, as infuriating as the sac bunts are, we still rank towards the bottom in the acc in terms of bunting proclivity the past few years.
Yeah, it's pretty difficult to get too upset about Walter's sac bunting considering that other college coaches do it way more than he does.

There's also a legitimate argument to be made that the analysis of bunting/stolen bases it pretty different in the college game than at the pro level. Bullpens are much worse in college and there are often some pretty terrible hitters at the bottom of lineups in college, just to name two major differences. Not saying I am a college baseball sac bunt enthusiast, but it's worth pointing out that just because sac bunts are almost always awful at the MLB level doesn't mean they are in college.

It feels like we don't attempt as many stolen bases as our opponents. I get not stealing when you've got a guy like Kurtz coming to bat. But it feels like Nelson should be trying every time he gets on first.

FWIW, in addition to Lowder's strong opening performance in Dayton, Seth Keener was the opening day starter for the Kanapolis Cannons (White Sox single A), and had a strong first outing:

5 IP 1 H 2 BB 7 Ks 0 runs.

Last year's staff was just ridiculous.
Sean Sullivan also started for the Rockies A+ team.

6.0 IP, 5 H, 0 BB, 13 Ks, 1 unearned run

Yes, he struck out 13 in his first appearance of the year.

It feels like we don't attempt as many stolen bases as our opponents. I get not stealing when you've got a guy like Kurtz coming to bat. But it feels like Nelson should be trying every time he gets on first.

i think that’s been true in the past, but only two teams (louisville and bc) have more stolen bases than us in conference games this year

Do we think Shenosky starts tomorrow? I remember when we played Coastal at home last year Seth Keener got the start. Wonder if Wade or Leffew might get the nod.

No surprise here

So my 5 year old usually pretends to run through the whole batting order when hitting in the backyard he’s recently taken to only letting Nick Kurtz hit and just having 8 pinch runners. I don’t think he understands the rules, but he certainly understands talent assessment.

Back