• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Who is the last stud catching recruit that we got? Is there a free baseball recruiting site? D1 has the names but no rankings really.

muntz was a big recruit but not really much of a catcher. tinsman was pretty highly rated too and started as a true frosh.

we have two really highly ranked incoming freshmen catchers next year though, matt conte and my personal favorite a kid named seven alemais from the bronx.

I think there was a recruit catcher out of FL a few years ago that got drafted and never came to Wake.

Edit: Looked it up - Jackson Miller. Drafted w/ the 65th pick in the 2020 draft.

Reinisch had a late game foul ball over the visitor's clubhouse. Might have been the hardest hit ball of the night. So many good things about last night's game.

Reinisch had a late game foul ball over the visitor's clubhouse. Might have been the hardest hit ball of the night. So many good things about last night's game.
That was a shot. Definitely hardest hit ball last night.

If memory serves me there were runners on. Guess it would have run ruled them.

I honestly don't think he has gotten 1 hit this year batting left handed, The last hit he got was a homer at UVA. Even though the scorer wasn't kind tonight. Could have easily given him a hit, rather than an error.
Awful night at the plate for sure, and I was very surprised the scorer didn't give him a hit on the ball he put in play.

Breazeale is coaching at UT-Arlington now. Perhaps we need a catching coach.

Was Nelson out just to give Morales a look? I really expected him to pitch.
Sorry, just don't have an answer. I guess so ... but it's a complete guess.

It was a lengthy post-game with Walt and the players but we mostly talked about Kurtz, bullpen resurgence, gathering momentum, etc.

Was Nelson out just to give Morales a look? I really expected him to pitch.

nelson was scuffling against VT so a day off could be good and there is some excitement about morales and getting him more PAs. don’t think there is anything more to it.

my other bullpen hypothesis (that i want to believe is true) is that a huge part of what we do well is using analytics for pitch strategy.

for example, last year sean sullivan came in as a crafty threee pitch lefty but when we looked at the data it made more sense to throw high fastballs. similar with cole roland who was previously a standard fastball-first guy and we switched to leading w his changeup.

but obviously you can’t do that type of analysis without data for our analytics team to work with. i suspect as we get more more and more data points we will see adjustments and better results

Walter seemed to confirm this theory with his quotes last night. Good eye, IAI

One of WF top recruits for the 2024 HS class is catcher Matt Conte. He has excelled at all of the Spring/Summershowcases including the Area Code Games. As long as he doesn't go in the 2024 MLB draft, WF should have a top rated catcher next season.

One of WF top recruits for the 2024 HS class is catcher Matt Conte. He has excelled at all of the Spring/Summershowcases including the Area Code Games. As long as he doesn't go in the 2024 MLB draft, WF should have a top rated catcher next season.
Not really worth looking ahead too much, but if we can find a SP or two, then we are set to be pretty damn good again next year (especially if we can hold on to Winnay).

Not really worth looking ahead too much, but if we can find a SP or two, then we are set to be pretty damn good again next year (especially if we can hold on to Winnay).
I'm all aboard on Leffew and Morningstar as SPs for next year. I think both can be really good

Back