• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Also saw that he had said that ND would have beaten us by 20.

Hopefully, he now has their full attention headed into the weekend.

Surprised not to see more info on Houston. Also still no Crawford Wade seems troubling.
I guess I should've asked, but I had 3 minutes while they were in a hurry to leave and I wanted Walt to elaborate on why he was disappointed/pissed off with their performance.

I guess I should've asked, but I had 3 minutes while they were in a hurry to leave and I wanted Walt to elaborate on why he was disappointed/pissed off with their performance.
Fair enough. Guess you gotta make a trip to South Bend instead.

Meh, they laid a dud last night, but the pitching was fine. Second best hitter on the team was out and everyone else had a bad night. Whatever, it happens.

Can't let it become a pattern obviously, but that was the first time the offense has been held below 3 runs all season. It was only the 4th time they'd been held below 5 runs. I'm not all that worried about it happening again.

That seems worse. Is that worse?
Who knows? They started giving all the scores last night from around the league and there are a ton of teams all the way up to NY.
When I reffed at Elon back in the late 80’s & 90’s, they were coming out of the Div II SAC-8 football playing conference to the Big South with High Point & UNCG. Now in Colonial/Coastal so I guess it is a step up.

Let at it this way guys. Last season we were remarkably consistent, didn't lose a series, I don't even think we lost 2 games in a row until LSU knocked us out in the CWS. We were a lot of people's favorite going into the CWS, but we just don't do well as favorites, we know that. Maybe this year, we kind of underperform a little in the regular season and get hot when it counts? Other teams do it, look at NC State in basketball this year and their "why not us." Well maybe this season on the diamond will be our "why not us" run? Sunshine brigade talk I know, but I'm still on the after tax season sugar high right now. :giggle:

Let at it this way guys. Last season we were remarkably consistent, didn't lose a series, I don't even think we lost 2 games in a row until LSU knocked us out in the CWS. We were a lot of people's favorite going into the CWS, but we just don't do well as favorites, we know that. Maybe this year, we kind of underperform a little in the regular season and get hot when it counts? Other teams do it, look at NC State in basketball this year and their "why not us." Well maybe this season on the diamond will be our "why not us" run? Sunshine brigade talk I know, but I'm still on the after tax season sugar high right now. :giggle:
Last year we had one of the best college baseball teams ever. We lost to one that was better. Sucks, but it happens. We probably are the defending champs if Alabama had more control from their bullpen.

Last year we had one of the best college baseball teams ever. We lost to one that was better. Sucks, but it happens. We probably are the defending champs if Alabama had more control from their bullpen.
Yeah, last year's team really was awesome. Baseball is just a funny sport. That's why MLB plays twice as many games as the NBA and NHL and about 10 times more games than the NFL ( also the nature of the sport with preparation and physicality I know). It's takes that many to really determine the best teams because of the quirkiness of baseball.

Kind of.

LSU was "better" because Nick Kurtz didn't play and/or was a non-factor in Omaha. It all came down to the final of three WF/LSU games, and with all due respect to Jack Winnay getting his first start, would have liked WF's chances to score a run over the first 9 innings, if Nick Kurtz is healthy. We will never know, but I will forever be convinced that if Nick Kurtz doesn't get hurt against Alabama, 2023 WF baseball sweeps through the CWS and goes down as one of the all time great college baseball teams.

Kind of.

LSU was "better" because Nick Kurtz didn't play and/or was a non-factor in Omaha. It all came down to the final of three WF/LSU games, and with all due respect to Jack Winnay getting his first start, would have liked WF's chances to score a run over the first 9 innings, if Nick Kurtz is healthy. We will never know, but I will forever be convinced that if Nick Kurtz doesn't get hurt against Alabama, 2023 WF baseball sweeps through the CWS and goes down as one of the all time great college baseball teams.
Believe what you want, but I don’t think adding any one non-MLB player into Wake’s lineup was going to make it particularly likely that Wake scored a run against Paul Skenes that day. I mean Winnay had one of the two hits that Wake got off of him!

Believe what you want, but I don’t think adding any one non-MLB player into Wake’s lineup was going to make it particularly likely that Wake scored a run against Paul Skenes that day. I mean Winnay had one of the two hits that Wake got off of him!
We didn’t have to. Had to score runs off their BP.

We didn’t have to. Had to score runs off their BP.
I mean in the game he’s talking about, Skenes went 8 innings and Hurd went 3. He said that adding Kurtz would have made it a likelihood that Wake won that game before extra innings.

Regardless this conversation is dumb, because the game Wake actually should have won was the second game against LSU.

Back