• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Believe what you want, but I don’t think adding any one non-MLB player into Wake’s lineup was going to make it particularly likely that Wake scored a run against Paul Skenes that day. I mean Winnay had one of the two hits that Wake got off of him!
Hard to be sure of anything in baseball, but we can all be reasonably confident that barring injury, Nick Kurtz will be an MLB player. He will likely be picked in top 5 in the 2024 draft. Also, WF lost to LSU twice. A healthy Kurtz has the ability to make the difference in either or both of WF's losses to LSU.

The loss did not help the team secure home field advantage during the post season. It hurt their chances. The fact that Walter made a statement critical of their effort and their fundamentals is a measure of their poor performance. If this group of players believes their abilities can be turned on and off like a faucet, they are headed for disappointment and embarassment.

The loss did not help the team secure home field advantage during the post season. It hurt their chances. The fact that Walter made a statement critical of their effort and their fundamentals is a measure of their poor performance. If this group of players believes their abilities can be turned on and off like a faucet, they are headed for disappointment and embarassment.
I don’t think it impacted their postseason chances at all one way or the other.

For us, last year’s team was clearly better. But this team had 5 guys projected in the first round to enter the season and still has 3 projected to go in the top 10. Yes, 3 of those guys were also on last year’s team. But let’s not act like this team hasn’t underperformed a bit. It’s likely just not as deep but the top end is almost equal to last year and many in the media would say that the top end is even better.

For us, last year’s team was clearly better. But this team had 5 guys projected in the first round to enter the season and still has 3 projected to go in the top 10. Yes, 3 of those guys were also on last year’s team. But let’s not act like this team hasn’t underperformed a bit. It’s likely just not as deep but the top end is almost equal to last year and many in the media would say that the top end is even better.
Probably so. And we’re a consensus top 10 team in late April. All our goals are still in front of us and attainable.

Probably so. And we’re a consensus top 10 team in late April. All our goals are still in front of us and attainable.
For sure. There’s a reason Walter was so mad about a relatively meaningless loss to Elon though. I think he clearly knows this team hasn’t played up to its talent level and no-shows like last night aren’t going to fly in the postseason.

For sure. There’s a reason Walter was so mad about a relatively meaningless loss to Elon though. I think he clearly knows this team hasn’t played up to its talent level and no-shows like last night aren’t going to fly in the postseason.
Certainly good time to get that message across.

it seems like there are some folks so deep into the “you don’t get baseball” and “we’re the real day one fans” narrative that they’re reluctant to admit this season has been disappointing so far so as not to even slightly align with the donk chicken little group

I don’t know how you could say anything other than things are disappointing so far — not over or irreparable but objectively disappointing and to act otherwise is kinda annoying

it seems like there are some folks so deep into the “you don’t get baseball” and “we’re the real day one fans” narrative that they’re reluctant to admit this season has been disappointing so far so as not to even slightly align with the donk chicken little group

I don’t know how you could say anything other than things are disappointing so far — not over or irreparable but objectively disappointing and to act otherwise is kinda annoying
What would be your expectation for the season?

Back