• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Unless we just about win every game, it seems like every season boils down to "the real fans" vs "the sunshine brigade".

Jesus we have gone from worrying about making the tourney to possible national seed in 3 weeks.

This narrative every sports season is annoying.

okay deacs
about to leave for the trip to south bend. hope the weather outlook improves (has some already)

anyone want me to yell something at walter?
:)

it seems like there are some folks so deep into the “you don’t get baseball” and “we’re the real day one fans” narrative that they’re reluctant to admit this season has been disappointing so far so as not to even slightly align with the donk chicken little group

I don’t know how you could say anything other than things are disappointing so far — not over or irreparable but objectively disappointing and to act otherwise is kinda annoying
Sure, it's disappointing that the team started the year ranked at #1 and has fallen outside of the top 5. But Wake is still in line to host a super-regional, it's not like they have fallen outside of the top 20 or something.

Looking game by game, the only thing I'm disappointed by is that Wake has lost a couple more midweeks than it should (at Elon, UNCW, at Coastal, at UNCG), and Wake got swept at home by UNC. And those 7 games are largely the reason Wake isn't top 5 anymore. Wake lost two very close Game 3s to UVA and Duke to lose those series, which sucks but isn't killing our resume.

On an individual player level, I'm really only disappointed in Hartle (who has been better lately), Massey, and the catcher position. Two of those guys are still going to be high draft picks, and I still have confidence in both of them to be good enough in the postseason.

As long as Wake manages to finish strong enough to host a super regional, I don't think this season should be considered an objective disappointment.

okay deacs
about to leave for the trip to south bend. hope the weather outlook improves (has some already)

anyone want me to yell something at walter?
:)
omaha-peytonmanning.gif

Sure, it's disappointing that the team started the year ranked at #1 and has fallen outside of the top 5. But Wake is still in line to host a super-regional, it's not like they have fallen outside of the top 20 or something.

Looking game by game, the only thing I'm disappointed by is that Wake has lost a couple more midweeks than it should (at Elon, UNCW, at Coastal, at UNCG), and Wake got swept at home by UNC. And those 7 games are largely the reason Wake isn't top 5 anymore. Wake lost two very close Game 3s to UVA and Duke to lose those series, which sucks but isn't killing our resume.

On an individual player level, I'm really only disappointed in Hartle (who has been better lately), Massey, and the catcher position. Two of those guys are still going to be high draft picks, and I still have confidence in both of them to be good enough in the postseason.

As long as Wake manages to finish strong enough to host a super regional, I don't think this season should be considered an objective disappointment.
This is almost exactly where I am. Would love to have the uncg and elon games back for sure. The loss at coastal and to uncw aren't bad losses at all for midweeks, but the way they happened sucked so hard, especially at coastal. The sweep to unc is really frustrating, and it seemed to wake the team up or unlock some potential. I think expecting to win 1 of the first two ACC series losses isn't unreasonable and both were razor thin.

I think my biggest disappointment is that we took so long to find the lineup that works. I get that it's pretty speculative about the freshmen and Hawke's progression, but I feel like we were more stubborn with those roster changes than we should have been.

I think I feel more disappointed for Hartle than in Hartle if that makes any sense.

I think my biggest disappointment is that we took so long to find the lineup that works. I get that it's pretty speculative about the freshmen and Hawke's progression, but I feel like we were more stubborn with those roster changes than we should have been.
Meh, there were a lot of moving parts that needed to be evaluated in making all of the changes. Had to make sure that Tellier could play good enough 2B defense, that King could play good enough 3B defense, that Nelson/Williams were actually going to be better hitters than Katz/Hawke in the long-term, etc. And then Kurtz missed some time and forced Winnay to 1B and even more shifting around for a while.

Katz played his way to the bench pretty damn quickly anyways, and Hawke was actually hitting the ball well in the early season so he got a longer leash.

Rutmancho may need to make a trip to South Bend to share some more thoughts, last year the team took care of business, this team is ranked far higher than it should be based on reputation from last year. Not a bad team just not close to college world series team. Doesnt have the depth of pitching or hitting.

Well said.
I think a fair expectation of a team ranked #1 to start the year, is be in position to host post-season games. Baseball is weird and anything can happen in a regional or super.

Even with the ups and downs, we're still in line and control our destiny. Hopefully in a couple weeks we're not looking back at some of our duds as missed opportunities.

Rutmancho may need to make a trip to South Bend to share some more thoughts, last year the team took care of business, this team is ranked far higher than it should be based on reputation from last year. Not a bad team just not close to college world series team. Doesnt have the depth of pitching or hitting.
Which teams would you describe as close to a World Series team at this point in the season?

I think it’s also important to remember that we were outright spoiled last season. Same with LSU. I don’t think we’ll see a team as good as either of those two teams for at least another decade. It’s great that we had such a successful season, but at the same time, we need to keep in mind just how insanely talented that team was. I feel like any comparisons about how well we’re doing from this year to last year are just unfair.

WF opened the season #1, and could have as many as 5 #1 picks. WF is 26-14 and 11-10 in the ACC. So, there is no doubt that the season has been disappointing to this point. That said, none of it really matters that much.

While its not really fair, what matters is if WF makes it back to Omaha. If WF returns to the CWS, no one is going to GAF about the Elon or UNCG losses or even the UNC sweep. OTOH, if WF was 35-5 right now and still #1, the season would be a disappointment if WF lost in the sub-regional or the super regional. It's a high bar and baseball lends itself to upsets, but when you open the season #1 and have so much high-end talent, anything short of making it to Omaha feels like a let-down.

Right now, the important thing for this team is play well enough to get a national seed; so, the Deacs host a sub-regional. If the season ended right now, WF would host. To further enhance WF's chances, the Deacs needs to get a top 8 seed to ensure WF is hosting a super-regional. WF is right on the edge, but has work to do to get there. So, it's fair to say WF baseball has under-performed to date, and also, it's reasonable to feel like there is room for WF baseball to achieve its key season goals.

Last edited:
Which teams would you describe as close to a World Series team at this point in the season?
UNCW is better than Wake, Chapel Hill is better than Wake Duke is beter than Wake FSU is better than wake. Not sure if they are world series team, but they are better than Wake. Some of the coaching decisions make that a possibility. But then again I am friends with Rutmanchu so what do I know. He is all for being able to yell at games but is the first one to throw stones at grandpa Joe. Just a chat board here, hope Im 100 percent wrong and Wake wins college world series. I love Womans golf but they cant carry the water for Wake fans forever.

UNCW is better than Wake, Chapel Hill is better than Wake Duke is beter than Wake FSU is better than wake. Not sure if they are world series team, but they are better than Wake. Some of the coaching decisions make that a possibility. But then again I am friends with Rutmanchu so what do I know. He is all for being able to yell at games but is the first one to throw stones at grandpa Joe. Just a chat board here, hope Im 100 percent wrong and Wake wins college world series. I love Womans golf but they cant carry the water for Wake fans forever.
Here's the thing about being pessimistic about baseball, it's really really hard to make it to Omaha. Statistically, you're almost certain to be right, and if you're wrong, you just celebrate anyway. It's kind of a win-win proposition.

So a team Wake just beat in a 3 game series is better than Wake. INTERESTING.

Big if true

This one will be a fun one to bump in about 6 weeks

WF opened the season #1, and could have as many as 5 #1 picks. WF is 26-14 and 11-10 in the ACC. So, there is no doubt that the season has been disappointing to this point. That said, none of it really matters that much.

While its not really fair, what matters is if WF makes it back to Omaha. If WF returns to the CWS, no one is going to GAF about the Elon or UNCG losses or even the UNC sweep. OTOH, if WF was 35-5 right now and still #1, the season would be a disappointment if WF lost in the sub-regional or the super regional. It's high bar and baseball lends itself to upsets, but when you open the season #1 and have so much high-end talent, anything short of making it Omaha feels like a let-down.

Right now, the important thing for this team is play well enough to get a national seed; so, the Deacs host a sub-regional. If the season ended right now, WF would host. To further enhance WF's chances, the Deacs need to get a top 8 seed to ensure WF is hosting a super-regional. WF is right on the edge, but has work to do to get there. So, it's fair to say WF baseball has under-performed to date, and also, it's reasonable to feel like there is room for WF baseball to achieve its key season goals.
good post

my point was more about how some posters border on gaslighting anyone that isn't full-blow sunshine about things, not about the team itself

it's okay to be disappointed and every negative comment/criticism of things is not a call to burn things down

don't miss the forest for the 8XDeacs

crazy for people to suggest this hasn't been a disappointing season when we are 11-10 in the ACC and 4-8 against NC schools

Back