• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Women's Basketball Offseason - Grad transfer SMU PG Tamia Jones

Comment on TOB was that she felt “unprepared” to work the portal when the transfers hit. This, uh, is concerning. how could you not be prepared? Isn’t that your entire job? I’m sure i have a post on this somewhere up the thread, but the extension had a Manning-esque whiff to it (as did the extension to Hoover for getting blown out in the first four, only to get fired a year later)
Oof. Where is that quote from? I agree working the portal is the biggest part of the job. Wake should have been well positioned with open scholarships, plenty of playing time in the ACC, coming off a .500 season.

I'm fine with the extension. She had a promising first season, but the bottom fell out in her first real offseason. The athletic department kept the roster stable for her last year. She got the most she could out of the roster. But I have serious questions if she can go beyond the Xs and Os and run a big-time ACC program.

The absolute best-case scenario this season is last year's record if: (1) Hinds makes a big leap in the post and Cowles provides some depth (only two players over 6-1, no centers listed, very small for a major conference roster); (2) Williams make a leap to an All-ACC caliber player; (3) Gebbia can figure out a small ball lineup with three guards, a wing, and a big; and (4) the freshmen including Deeble provide depth at those guard and wing positions. I can't imagine a workable small ball lineup without depth.

Faith Ehis Etute (Luxembourg) and Jayden McBride are taking official visits this weekend

Etute looks like an undersized big (6-0) who can get out on the break. She averaged 31.5 pts, 23.3 reb, 4.3 ast on 45% fg in the FIBA U18 Women's European Championships Division B including 48/24/2 and 40/33/6 games. She led her team to the Finals vs. Croatia.

This is the 40/33/6 game in July vs. Romania. Physical player. Loves to throw her body around. Aggressive rebounder. Surprisingly good handles. Looks like she could help at PF from day 1.

McBride is a 5-11 SG/SF. She was first team all-state in PA.

By the way, MMM's sister Isabella Marion keeps racking up offers. She's added BYU, Ok State, Ohio State, and Colorado since FIBA. She averaged 4.9 pts, 7.9 reb, 2.1 on 26% fg in 25.2 mpg in the FIBA U16 European Championship Division B at 14 years old.

Aurora Sorbye (Norway) officially visits this weekend. She's coming after an official visit to Akron. Think the staff feels good about her.

The staff is trying to go more international for the next class because they still feel behind/struggle to make inroads with the domestic kids that everyone else has been recruiting.

Gebbia's pitch:

If you excel at WF, Tennessee will pay you six figures.

Aurora Sorbye (Norway) officially visits this weekend. She's coming after an official visit to Akron. Think the staff feels good about her.

The staff is trying to go more international for the next class because they still feel behind/struggle to make inroads with the domestic kids that everyone else has been recruiting.
Another guard. Her percentages at FIBA U18 are underwhelming.

I don't see much other choice. The official roster only has two players listed at forward and everyone else as a guard. Only four players listed taller than 6-0.

For what it's worth, the women's hoops Facebook page posted team photo shoot photos including Conley, Cowles, and McWhorter.

I’m wondering a) if NIL limitations are currently worse for our WBB than other programs; b) if Gebbia can recruit anyways; c) if she/we knew what we were getting into.

The team looked much better coached on the floor, which was encouraging. The program’s momentum is not.

The portal comment is concerning but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt since it's coming second-hand. I expect there's some important context missing.

I think this season will be a write-off much like Forbes' first season was. It would be nice if Wake women's hoops could catch a break--like, even one, ever--when it comes to injuries and transfers. The program has been unlucky as hell on those fronts. We have landed some major recruits in the last few years but seem unable to keep them in the fold.

Can we not find a donor to pony up 1 Million a year to donate to WBB NIL? That's all we really need to be relevant

Last edited:
Based on those highlights she will be really fun to watch. Seems to do a little of everything.

Also, given the size of the crowd at that tourney, she will transition easily to playing in the Joel.

Maybe we will be like the pre championship Warriors squad? We got a Monta Ellis proxy on the roster?

Just got an email about this Go Inside the Program with Head Coach Megan Gebbia virtual meet and greet event on Wednesday, November 1 at 6:00 pm.

The women scrimmaged East Carolina Saturday. It did not go well.

Back