• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

26 years from now

All cars and shipping will be driver-less. People will no longer own cars but call them using services like Uber. In essence all transportation will be more like a utility, dramatically reducing the traffic problems facing major cities today. Driving a car yourself will be illegal, and treated much like drunk driving today.

Totally agree on the self-driving cars... That's going to happen, and probably sooner than we think. Will happen in the next 5-10 years w/ 18 wheelers due to driver shortages (nobody wants to be a truck driver anymore and regulations are getting more and more strict). Once that changes, and Tesla comes out with a cheaper car, we'll hit the tipping point quickly. I do think it will mostly be a hybrid-style for a while, though... Kind of like cruise control (use it on the highway, but not in your neighborhood).

Almost everything (including cars) will run on electricity... And that electricity will be largely generated through solar technology. Fossil fuels, at least in the US, will be a thing of the past.

People will have been to Mars. Perhaps a lot of them. Maybe even to live.

I also think there is a relatively significant chance (~1-5%) that humans will be extinct. A number of potential reasons (in order): Singularity, Nuclear Terrorism/Global War, Aliens, Asteroid, Virus.

Along with that, there is a similar chance that AI will cause us to become "immortal", at least in our consciousness.

Totally agree on the self-driving cars... That's going to happen, and probably sooner than we think. Will happen in the next 5-10 years w/ 18 wheelers due to driver shortages (nobody wants to be a truck driver anymore and regulations are getting more and more strict). Once that changes, and Tesla comes out with a cheaper car, we'll hit the tipping point quickly. I do think it will mostly be a hybrid-style for a while, though... Kind of like cruise control (use it on the highway, but not in your neighborhood).

Almost everything (including cars) will run on electricity... And that electricity will be largely generated through solar technology. Fossil fuels, at least in the US, will be a thing of the past.

I also think there is a relatively significant chance (~1-5%) that humans will be extinct. A number of potential reasons (in order): Singularity, Nuclear Terrorism/Global War, Aliens, Asteroid, Virus.

Along with that, there is a similar chance that AI will cause us to become "immortal", at least in our consciousness.

Happy Friday, everyone!

I think this stuff will take 50 years, not 26, but it will be fun to find out. At least I hope I live to find out!

I obviously have no idea. But yeah, I think the way technology is advancing at a faster and faster rate, there is a slight chance that we really fuck things up. Call it 1% or less... 5% is admittedly a stretch.

The singularity really worries me. I think we are on the path of creating technology that is more advanced than we can control.

And in terms of aliens... The more we are able to venture out into space, the more likely it is that we come into contact with something FAR more intelligent.

what if it's a COMPUTER virus???

BOOM

537.gif

If I held these opinions, I would never leave the house.

I'mma be on my 40 year reunion trying to get team emo's daughters numbers at Foothills

I'mma be on my 40 year reunion trying to get team emo's daughters numbers at Foothills
Good point. Only like two of us live in Winston now, but we're all moving back when we're olds.

Back