• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

3 NC schools make list of 25 most dangerous college campuses in the US

Winston's downtown has been very, very slow to gentrify, but that is probably a part of the drop in violent crime and rise in property crime.

Weird benchmarking. Using a common sense interpretation of 'dangerous' and Wake wouldn't be anywhere near this list.

University of the Pacific, though, that's a good call.

How the hell did GaTech and UGA miss the list? Tech is in a shitty part of town and the only time UGA's crime rate drops is when Rev. Richt's boys are home on break.

Part of the problem is Wake's small student population, since the criteria is crimes reported per 1000 students. And of course Chapel Hill didn't make the list because their violent crimes either don't get reported or don't get recorded on the official blotter.

My laptop was stolen from my house on Polo during the first half of a Monday night football game when I was next door and I had gone back and forth to retrieve beer. So the person had about a 30-40 min window to get in the house and steal it.

Georgia State caught a break.

Polo Road area houses are robbed like clockwork every time students are on break.

There was a criminal syndicate (prob 3 crackheads) that realized that students have laptops. So laptops went missing like WHOA for years.

You'd think WSPD/WFUPD would do something about that.

When I started at Wake in '96 W-S was like the No. 8 city in the country for violent crime per capita. But to say Wake is the 23rd most dangerous campus in the country is ridiculous.

Really? I find that hard to believe considering they aren't even in the top 100 now.

Townie - when we were undergrads you didn't even think about walking around downtown Winston at night. I've lived here all but 1 year of my entire adult life and the transformation of this city has been impressive to see. Very glad to call Winston home.

Man, I remember one job I had in WS was running to the mail distribution center over in Happy Hills first thing in the morning and last thing at end of the day. Niiice.

Townie - when we were undergrads you didn't even think about walking around downtown Winston at night.

You probably don't remember, but I was out one night soph year and got a little too drunko at some sketch bar downtown and ended up wandering away from the group I was with. I was promptly mugged, lost a shoe and managed to get covered in someone else's blood (no earthly idea how). Ended up getting a ride back to campus with these two dudes driving a sweet early '80's camaro at like 4:00 in the morning after wandering around lost for a few hours. Oh, and there were two hookers in the backseat.

So yeah, downtown W-S was not nice back then.

When I started at Wake in '96 W-S was like the No. 8 city in the country for violent crime per capita. But to say Wake is the 23rd most dangerous campus in the country is ridiculous.

Really? I find that hard to believe considering they aren't even in the top 100 now.

You probably don't remember, but I was out one night soph year and got a little too drunko at some sketch bar downtown and ended up wandering away from the group I was with. I was promptly mugged, lost a shoe and managed to get covered in someone else's blood (no earthly idea how). Ended up getting a ride back to campus with these two dudes driving a sweet early '80's camaro at like 4:00 in the morning after wandering around lost for a few hours. Oh, and there were two hookers in the backseat.

So yeah, downtown W-S was not nice back then.

Did you at least nail one of the hookers?

From the article:

Note: We identified an error in the original analysis of the data used in the Feb. 3, 2015 report on dangerous colleges in the United States, which resulted in an incorrect ranking of colleges. The following is an updated report which has corrected the previous error, clarified the criteria and methodology used, and resulted in a new ranking.We’ve reached out to the various publications that ran stories using the original data to provide them with the updated rankings.
We sincerely apologize for any confusion and inconvenience this data issue has caused. If you have any further questions or concerns, please direct them to our director of public relations, Hillary Foss, at hfoss@findthebest.com or 805-617-1863.

Back