• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

30 Day Get Fit Challenge

Agreed. I think a measure of before and after BMI could be pretty good, but it's really hard to get an accurate BMI measurement, isn't it?

not hard at all. all it is is a calculation based off of height and weight. the problem with BMI is that the metric in general is just a lousy metric. like it doesn't take into consideration your actual body composition.

lbe and deachoops have no shot at winning this so you know they are sincere

not hard at all. all it is is a calculation based off of height and weight. the problem with BMI is that the metric in general is just a lousy metric. like it doesn't take into consideration your actual body composition.

Can't you do one suspended in water or something that does measure your body composition?

Can't you do one suspended in water or something that does measure your body composition?

yeah, that's a body fat measurement. much more accurate. much better metric. but odds of people having the opportunity to do that before a weight loss challenge happening in a few days is slim.

yeah, that's a body fat measurement. much more accurate. much better metric. but odds of people having the opportunity to do that before a weight loss challenge happening in a few days is slim.

Yeah. That was more for just my knowledge. I want to do one. Any idea where that kinda thing is available?

go with % and try and have participants post daily updates on what they did to be healthy that day, maybe that will hold them accountable throughout

Yeah. That was more for just my knowledge. I want to do one. Any idea where that kinda thing is available?

no clue. i've only done something similar once, and it was when i was being a medical guinea pig in a study about marathoners. outside of medical studies, i don't know where to go for something like that.

Getting dunked is something you probably won't be able to do by tomorrow.

Two good options are:

1) A bod pod - very easy to do and they exist at some gyms, though far from commonplace

2) DEXA scan - this is a medical device and can be VERY expensive

Two easy options that offer not the most reliable results:

1) Calipers
2) Handheld Bioelectrical Impedence Analysis device.

Further there are online tools, like this thing http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

Body fat % is the only way to do this and you'd have to do a percentage based off that.

My scale has a body fat calculator. I'm not sure how accurate it is though.

go with % and try and have participants post daily updates on what they did to be healthy that day, maybe that will hold them accountable throughout

I'd be down for this regardless. Like a running fitness diary almost - I'm sure there's some really good ideas out there I haven't thought of that people are doing.

I work out pretty hard 5-ish days a week but I drink way too much, maybe something where I have to post what I did would motivate me a little more.

Body fat % is the only way to do this and you'd have to do a percentage based off that.

My scale has a body fat calculator. I'm not sure how accurate it is though.

Scales use bioelectrical impedance. No they're not terribly accurate, but could be useful for tracking trends. So if you get a reading of 25% bodyfat, the reality will be something different, but if you see the number go up or down, that's a good indicator that you're either gaining or losing body fat.

Back