• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

30 years ago, Bob Knight threw a chair

Wow, this thread devolved into Godwin's Law real quick.

My problem with Bob Knight is he insisted on a level personal responsibility that he did not exhibit himself. His outbursts and "sense of humor" show his immaturity.

Wow, this thread devolved into Godwin's Law real quick.

My problem with Bob Knight is he insisted on a level personal responsibility that he did not exhibit himself. His outbursts and "sense of humor" show his immaturity.

Knight demanded a great deal from himself and his players. He did not always live up to his great demands of himself, nor did his players. When you make great demands of yourself, your failure to live up to those demands can also be great. He tried to be a perfectionist; sometimes he failed spectacularly. But the teams he put on the floor played a beautiful brand of team basketball on both offense and defense. I wish we could have Wake basketball teams that played like Knight's teams. Knight never cheated, and Knight always tried to help those who had played for him after their college basketball careers were over. He was always loyal. What would you like to be judged on: your occasional failures and shortcomings or your significant accomplishments achieved through great demands on yourself? Knight was a great coach and a flawed man. Harp on the flawed man if you will; I prefer to concentrate on the great coach and the beautiful basketball he taught.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Knight demanded a great deal from himself and his players. He did not always live up to his great demands of himself, nor did his players.

Bullshit. He was/is the ultimate hypocrite. What evidence is there that he ever held himself to the standard he demanded of everyone else around him?

LOL at the "he just held himself to too high of a standard, so he was bound to fail spectacularly" argument. He didn't have occasional failures and otherwise lead a great life full of respect for others. He had many more massive failures than most any other person alive would be permitted to make while keeping his career, and many other small ones that don't even register because his other failures were so large and well publicized. His failure as a human being was/is excused because he was a good coach. I don't care much about what success a person has if they are miserable human being while doing it.

Last edited:
Obvious troll job worked on far more people than bkf. We'll done.

My personal favorite hypocrite moment for Knight is spending an entire career lambasting the media and then immediately becoming one of the media the moment he retired. Great coach, terrible person.

Bullshit. He was/is the ultimate hypocrite. What evidence is there that he ever held himself to the standard he demanded of everyone else around him?

LOL at the "he just held himself to too high of a standard, so he was bound to fail spectacularly" argument. He didn't have occasional failures and otherwise lead a great life full of respect for others. He had many more massive failures than most any other person alive would be permitted to make while keeping his career, and many other small ones that don't even register because his other failures were so large and well publicized. His failure as a human being was/is excused because he was a good coach. I don't care much about what success a person has if they are miserable human being while doing it.

Racer, if you want to have a one-sided negative view of Bob Knight then that's you privilege. There is plenty of information out there to support what I have said.

You end up being engulfed by the Hitlers of the world. I would rather be Germany than Poland.

From an evolutionary biology, individual fitness, and short-term reproductive success perspective being Germany is probably the best strategy, unless you're Jewish... but from an ethical and pro humanitate perspective we should never have to make this fucking stupid, awful choice.

How did we get from a guy who threw a chair to one of the anti-Christ's?

i never understood that rumor i heard about hitler's death. when i was touring his bunker near berlin, oddly enough nearly 30 years ago to the day, the tour guide said ol' adolf was found dead wearing a unc sweatshirt.

Back