• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

4 "ACC" teams in AP Top 10

I think one of the UNC/FSU matchups during the Mack Brown era was two top 5 teams.

I'll take Clemson and the points all day. If you wanna crown Winston, then crown him, but he hasn't played in a tough environment yet....

I'll take Clemson and the points all day. If you wanna crown Winston, then crown him, but he hasn't played in a tough environment yet....

I didn't say he was better than Boyd (I think he could be), but he has more star power.

I'm biased toward the trend of LSU QBs being overrated. Mettenberger looks better than most though.

FSU is pretty damn complete too. Winston is young, but i would take hm over nearly every QB in the country. That guy is a flat-out stud.

Mettenberger can really spin it. He's fun to watch. Much more so than the shit they've lined up at QB since Jamarcus.

Tahj Boyd is a workmanlike QB. Winston is a star. That's going to be fun to watch.

Can't wait to make trip to Death Valley. Should be a great atmosphere. If noles lose, it will be due to defense not Jameis.

Either way, good for the conference to have several favorable outcomes this far in. The expansion vision is finally living up to its promise a little, aka Miami and FSU appear headed in the right direction.

Louisville - CU ACCCG in the near future would be the best ticket in league history. Those fanbases travel like SEC teams.

Unless they change up the divisions sometime soon, Clemson and Louisville will both be in the Atlantic division starting next year.

Unless they change up the divisions sometime soon, Clemson and Louisville will both be in the Atlantic division starting next year.

Forgot about that.

I feel like they have to change them up. UofL, CU, and FSU makes for a pretty unbalanced division. I guess it works for the SEC West though. They kill each other and some scrub from the Coastal/SEC East makes it to the CG with a fairly clean slate.

Forgot about that.

I feel like they have to change them up. UofL, CU, and FSU makes for a pretty unbalanced division. I guess it works for the SEC West though. They kill each other and some scrub from the Coastal/SEC East makes it to the CG with a fairly clean slate.

I remember when the Coastal was the stacked league and the Atlantic was supposed to be FSUs doormat.

I remember when the Coastal was the stacked league and the Atlantic was supposed to be FSUs doormat.

No, I really don't. Clemson was always perceived to be the 3/4 team in the league. The alignment should have worked out ok balance-wise:

FSU/Miami
Clemson/VT
Wake/Duke
NCSU/UNC
BC/GT
UM/UVA

That was the idea, as I see it at least (maybe flip the last two). Obviously reality =\= expectations.

No, I really don't. Clemson was always perceived to be the 3/4 team in the league. The alignment should have worked out ok balance-wise:

FSU/Miami
Clemson/VT
Wake/Duke
NCSU/UNC
BC/GT
UM/UVA

That was the idea, as I see it at least (maybe flip the last two). Obviously reality =\= expectations.

Thanks for illustrating my point. The Coastal team on that list had been historically stronger at the time. The clear set up was for FSU-Miami rematch with a FSU-VT consolation prize.

Thanks for illustrating my point. The Coastal team on that list had been historically stronger at the time. The clear set up was for FSU-Miami rematch with a FSU-VT consolation prize.

Depending on what you mean by "historically", the list is pretty balanced, maybe even tilted Atlantic slightly. I would actually be interested to look at the numbers from years before expansion (W/L, bowls, titles, etc.). I have no interest in putting it together though.

When was the last time the ACC had 3 teams in the AP top 10? I know we've never had 4.

When was the last time the ACC had 3 teams in the AP top 10? I know we've never had 4.

Before Miami was exposed right after expansion probably. UM and FSU has some highly ranked early season games right after expansion IIRC. I could be thinking about some Bowden Bowls though.

If not then, probably a long, long time ago.

From the ESPN story:

"The ACC has two top-five teams and three top-10 teams -- Miami is No. 10 -- for the first time since Oct. 30, 2005."

From the ESPN story:

"The ACC has two top-five teams and three top-10 teams -- Miami is No. 10 -- for the first time since Oct. 30, 2005."

I wonder who they were. FSU, VT, CU? Maybe Miami then?

I wonder who they were. FSU, VT, CU? Maybe Miami then?

it had to be FSU, VT and Miami. if those aren't it, then the third might've been BC because they pretty good until they decided to fire Jagodzinski

Is the Clemson/FSU game the biggest in ACC history? Obviously, FSU/Miami had some big games in the day, but that was before Miami came into the ACC.

All top 10 matchups between two ACC teams...

• 1981: #2 Clemson @ #8 North Carolina
  • 1997: #2 Florida State @ #5 North Carolina
  • 1999: #1 Florida State @ #10 Georgia Tech
  • 2000: #4 Florida State @ #10 Clemson
  • 2004: #5 Miami @ #4 Florida State
  • 2004: #7 Florida State @ #6 Virginia
  • 2005: #5 Miami @ #3 Virginia Tech
  • 2007: #2 Boston College @ #8 Virginia Tech
  • 2012: #9 Clemson @ #4 Florida State
  • 2013: #5 Florida State @ #3 Clemson

Also, :laugh: at counting Louisville. I doubt they would be in the top 10 right now with an ACC schedule.

Back