• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

5 sure fire ways to tell you are losing at softball tonight

Coach O

Reaction score
1. Every guy on the other team pulls up in a "work" truck...something with "_________ Construction" or "____________ Plumbing" on the side.

2. Every guy on the other team has a visible tatoo and a goatee.

3. None of them have college degrees.

4. The cumulative worth of the bats in their dugout exceeds $1,000.

5. 6 of the 10 guys on your team went to the bar BEFORE your game.

Anyone interested in the final score from last night? :thumbsup:

Can we turn this into a guess the score?

I'll say 24-2

Wow. I am insulted. I will have you know we scored 4 runs, thank you very much...

We will ignore the fact that we gave up 31.

I was in a lawyers league in NYC one summer and it was supposed to be entirely lawyers at the firm. I don't want to stereotype but I find it hard to believe that so many prominent law firms had that many practicing attorneys from the dominican and puerto Rico.

I was in a lawyers league in NYC one summer and it was supposed to be entirely lawyers at the firm. I don't want to stereotype but I find it hard to believe that so many prominent law firms had that many practicing attorneys from the dominican and puerto Rico.

sw50sw8sw578.gif

my adult softball team plays in a league in LA that's pretty legit. current Mariners SS Brendan Ryan (he was on the Cardinals at the time though) was playing on the other team. he was rather good. dude made the most ridiculous plays ever. also hit the SHIT out of the ball. he went to high-school in the area so it made sense.

guessing it was against his contract though....

This is hilarious and so very true. In a similar story, the guy organizing our church basketball team didn't enter our team in the church league on time. Thus, we wound up playing in an inner city league. Nothing wrong with being inner city other than the fact we had ZERO game to compete. I'm 6'3". The guy I guarded played at Maryland, yes, Maryland of the ACC.

I believe we were down by 35 at half with only 8 minute quarters.

1. Every guy on the other team pulls up in a "work" truck...something with "_________ Construction" or "____________ Plumbing" on the side.

2. Every guy on the other team has a visible tatoo and a goatee.

3. None of them have college degrees.

4. The cumulative worth of the bats in their dugout exceeds $1,000.

5. 6 of the 10 guys on your team went to the bar BEFORE your game.

Anyone interested in the final score from last night? :thumbsup:

Trust me these guys were from the mailroom. We played up in Spanish Harlem for a game and two neighborhood teams were playing each other. That shot was insane.

I played baseball in an amateur league in the bronx for four years ... I could probably fill an entire thread with the stories from that. Awesome times though.

I am the (reluctant) commissioner of our county bar association's lawyers' softball league.

I've dealt with a number of annoying issues that have arisen (e.g., adults getting in arguments and threatening to fight in the parking lot after the game like muthafuckin' Three O'Clock High), but probably the most annoying happened a few years ago in the championship game. I wasn't there, but apparently the 3rd baseman took a ball off the forehead and had to leave the game. The team inserted another player at 3rd base who was not playing in the field, but was in the batting lineup (in our league, to foster participation, you can bat as many players as you want). When it came time for the replacement to bat, the other team claimed that because he filled in for the injured player, he was taking the injured player's spot and so his original spot in the line-up was unfilled and would have to be an automatic out.

That's a pretty good example of the type of BS I occasionally have to deal with. I remember receiving that email report the next day and doing this:

puppet_facepalm.gif

I am the (reluctant) commissioner of our county bar association's lawyers' softball league.

I've dealt with a number of annoying issues that have arisen (e.g., adults getting in arguments and threatening to fight in the parking lot after the game like muthafuckin' Three O'Clock High), but probably the most annoying happened a few years ago in the championship game. I wasn't there, but apparently the 3rd baseman took a ball off the forehead and had to leave the game. The team inserted another player at 3rd base who was not playing in the field, but was in the batting lineup (in our league, to foster participation, you can bat as many players as you want). When it came time for the replacement to bat, the other team claimed that because he filled in for the injured player, he was taking the injured player's spot and so his original spot in the line-up was unfilled and would have to be an automatic out.

That's a pretty good example of the type of BS I occasionally have to deal with. I remember receiving that email report the next day and doing this:

puppet_facepalm.gif

wow seriously? that's super lame.

not as lame as taking walks, though

i've been playing softball for a long time now, and nothing is more depressing than the "industrial" softball leagues.

the team I had been playing with won a couple of championships in a row so they moved us up to the industrial league. bricklayers and plumbers, basically.

those dudes could hit the ball to tomorrow, and went 110% on every play. we drank beer in the parking lot before the games.

if you hit up the middle (even on an outside pitch), get ready to hear about it. if you hit a home run, get ready to be walked intentionally.

the bats the teams used were crazy expensive and we had the same bats from 5 years ago. in the end, you know THIS, THIS SOFTBALL GAME meant everything to those dudes, their kids, their girlfriends, etc.

it was the worst, we just quit showing up for games eventually.

why do people think it's weird to try at softball?

there's nothing better than beating a team of firefighters or pipelayers b/c they get so pissed off, especially when it's a team full of PhD candidates/nerds

Back