• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

538 on Boomer's retiring

It looks like our younger, more fortunate citizens will soon be investing a little more in our more vulnerble seniors.

The average life expectancy of a 65 year old is creeping near 90. By the time many of us get to 65, the odds will be pretty good we'll make it to 100. Unless we dramatically change the retirement age, we're setting up a system in people who die of old age will have spent over half of their lives not working (0-18, 65-100).

The average life expectancy of a 65 year old is creeping near 90. By the time many of us get to 65, the odds will be pretty good we'll make it to 100. Unless we dramatically change the retirement age, we're setting up a system in people who die of old age will have spent over half of their lives not working (0-18, 65-100).

Yes, more investment in older folks will allow them a more fruitful and somewhat longer retirement. Raise the payroll tax. A lot. You don't want old farts taking it to the streets.

Life expectancy in the US is now about 79 years for males. It won't reach 90 for fifty years or more and maybe even not for 100 years.

As to "pretty good odds of making it to 100":

http://discovertheodds.com/what-are-the-odds-of-living-to-100/

Country
Centenarian Share of the Total Population
Japan 3.43 per 10,000
France 2.70 per 10,000
United Kingdom 1.95 per 10,000
Sweden 1.92 per 10,000
United States 1.73 per 10,000

I guess to some 1.73/10,000 is "pretty good" odds.

Life expectancy in the US is now about 79 years for males. It won't reach 90 for fifty years or more and maybe even not for 100 years.

Country
Japan 3.43 per 10,000
France 2.70 per 10,000
Sweden 1.92 per 10,000

Life expectancy from birth in the US is 79 for males, but I bet it's quite a bit higher for people who have already made it to retirement.

Country
Japan 3.43 per 10,000
France 2.70 per 10,000
Sweden 1.92 per 10,000

Actually, the link you posted shows those born in 2011 have a 30% chance of reaching 100 (up from 26% in 2011), so pretty good odds indeed and increasing. The numbers you posted are the proportion of those over 100 to the total population.

Math fail

Life expectancy from birth in the US is 79 for males, but I bet it's quite a bit higher for people who have already made it to retirement.

Exactly. A 65 year old has a longer life expectancy than their peers who have already passed away who pull down the average to 79. It's not rocket science.

http://www.ssa.gov/planners/lifeexpectancy.htm

According to data compiled by the Social Security Administration:

• A man reaching age 65 today can expect to live, on average, until age 84.
  • A woman turning age 65 today can expect to live, on average, until age 86.
And those are just averages. About one out of every four 65-year-olds today will live past age 90, and one out of 10 will live past age 95.
And obviously, that life expectancy will be even higher for a 55 year old today who reaches 65 and so forth and so on.

so this excludes miscarriages and abortions? also what about first year of life? that figure of 79 can be wildly manipulated based on the answers to those Qs and others.

so this excludes miscarriages and abortions? also what about first year of life? that figure of 79 can be wildly manipulated based on the answers to those Qs and others.

I'll answer first by "I don't really know", so I'm just guessing, but I would doubt miscarriages and abortions factor into any life expectancy numbers anywhere.
My guess is most life expectancy numbers would be the life expectancy of a live birth within a population.
Almost all statistics are easily manipulated

boomer-1.jpg

Was this a serious question? :rolleyes:

hehe

people with agendas will include such things from time to time to make certain points...it's been done before, so yeah it was a serious question. Bacon is right that most stats are easily manipulated, but life expectancy is one that is particularly susceptible. this topic was relevant to my education so i'm not completely talking out of my ass on this one. while i'm thinkin' on it does this include infanticide, for instance? maybe that Q seems less absurd to you :)

I didn't know "from birth" was such a problematic term.

Back