• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

538 on Boomer's retiring

Again, anyone really surprised by this?

Not necessarily surprised...but I think it's interesting to see some numbers. I also didn't really know this is a global issue as well, and that immigration is actually helping us stay younger than Euro and Asian countries.

The retirement age needs to be raised with some exceptions for jobs like construction. They also need to tax more income.

You can't just throw in retirement exceptions for different jobs, next thing its picking and choosing who gets retirement benefits.

You can't just throw in retirement exceptions for different jobs, next thing its picking and choosing who gets retirement benefits.

This definitely happens in many European countries, I know Greece is/was one of them. It was often listed as one of the problems with their economy. If I remember correctly barbers and hairdressers got themselves on the list of "hazardous professions" and were able to retire with full benefits at the age of 50.

I'll answer first by "I don't really know", so I'm just guessing, but I would doubt miscarriages and abortions factor into any life expectancy numbers anywhere.
My guess is most life expectancy numbers would be the life expectancy of a live birth within a population.
Almost all statistics are easily manipulated

In the US life expectancy is calculated from live birth. In many countries, including European countries, individuals are only considered in the data once it is clear they will survive. A baby could be six months old before they are in the clear and factored in. If all countries treated births the same way our relative healthcare ranking would rise considerably.

This definitely happens in many European countries, I know Greece is/was one of them. It was often listed as one of the problems with their economy. If I remember correctly barbers and hairdressers got themselves on the list of "hazardous professions" and were able to retire with full benefits at the age of 50.

Nobody is saying 50 here.

boomer-1.jpg

Yeah Boomer prolly has at least another 5 good years. Boomers on the other hand, who knows?

chris-berman-mustache.jpg

In the US life expectancy is calculated from live birth. In many countries, including European countries, individuals are only considered in the data once it is clear they will survive. A baby could be six months old before they are in the clear and factored in. If all countries treated births the same way our relative healthcare ranking would rise considerably.

i have no dog in this fight but this is what i was trying to caution. my example questions were poor and hasty, but since pop data matters so much for taxes, wars, and even pro life or choice debates, people like to subtlety alter the criteria they use to gather the data.

Back