• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

7 old wives tales about cooking steak

Kenji's recipes have never failed me. I use and recommend them a lot.

Could have used these tips while cooking on the grille this weekend with a few family cooks, all experts by the way. I like taking the clueless approach thus leading for more time to enjoy the drinks, apps and ladies

In #1 he says to dry the steak before searing it, and then in #2 he says don't sear it. Plus, I refuse to take any advice on steaks from a guy with a hyphenated last name.

Reactions: BDL
Any guy that routinely uses a thermometer to check the doneness of his steaks is not an expert griller to be trusted. That being said, glad to see him destroy some absurdly common myths about cooking steaks.

no he says to not sear first on high heat then bring to low, he does the opposite. also, the myth about searing locking in the juices is just that: a myth.

also, that's fucking stupid because this guy has a long record of recipes that really work. I read his columns all the time, and he's very innovative in what he does: he's dry aged his own steaks and yesterday posted a technique for cooking a steak sous-vide in a beer cooler, then finishing it off by searing with a blow torch to get a restaurant quality sear.

and he doesn't just do steak, he does pretty much any type of food from burgers to pho to pizza and more.

now I want a steak for dinner :(

I really need to get one. Meant to register for one, but didn't/

do it now. i'm assuming that there are at least a few of your friends who haven't gotten your present yet. might as well try!

Any guy that routinely uses a thermometer to check the doneness of his steaks is not an expert griller to be trusted. That being said, glad to see him destroy some absurdly common myths about cooking steaks.

Agreed. Plus, sorry, I'm not knifing open my steak to look and see if it is done.

Any guy who grills without a thermometer and doesn't admit that he routinely over or undercooks an expensive piece of meat is a fucking liar.

Would you drive a car without a gas gauge? No, so why would you throw a nice steak on the grill and not use a thermometer?

Myth: A steak can be too rare

Fact: If the rareness of your steak doesn't gross out at least one person with you, it's overcooked.

Any guy who grills without a thermometer and doesn't admit that he routinely over or undercooks an expensive piece of meat is a fucking liar.

Would you drive a car without a gas gauge? No, so why would you throw a nice steak on the grill and not use a thermometer?

I use a cooking chart put out by Omaha steaks that has served me well for years.

Care to rebuttal BigTree or are you just going to take your spanking and enjoy it.

Was waiting until not on a phone to quote better but the gist of my rebuttal would be that I said "expert" and I fail to see why anybody on this thread (myself included) should be considered an expert. So by all means keep telling me how non-experts using a thermometer to properly cook their steak means that an expert should. I'm not even an expert griller and I can cook a steak to medium rare or medium or whatever a persons liking is without needing to stick a thermometer in it so I stand by my statement. I use a thermometer for grilling chicken and pork, for example, just not steaks.

The guy had great points about myths with cooking steaks and apparently is good at dry aging, making recipes, and making sous vide steak (none of which involves actual grilling as in the cooking of the meat but cool for bringing those up as proof the guy is an expert griller). It was mainly said in hopes of getting a rise out of people because it always does and today was certainly no different. Keep spanking away by all means though. Just remember the "spanking" is about how you guys are not adept/confident enough at cooking steaks to do so without a thermometer. My wife is not adept enough to find her way around town without a GPS and, as a result, I would never consider her an expert navigator.

And no BBD, I'm not a fucking liar or even a regular liar just apparently a hell of a lot more competent at using a grill to cook a porterhouse than you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: BDL
Back