• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

7 old wives tales about cooking steak

yeah, i don't use a therm on steaks. granted sometimes people think i undercooked their steak, but they're idiots.

LOL at all of the real men who don't need a thermometer.

Funny, the professional chefs I know all keep an instant read in their pocket and temp their beef. Then again, their job is to get it right and they are proud of their product...they can't afford the 10-15 degree temp variations the big dicked backyard pros around here call good enough.:rofl:

I am in the non-thermometer crowd. Occasionally I might over or under cook but I would say at least 90% of the time it is done how I like it. If you grill enough and know what temps and how long to cook each cut/thickness of meat to the doneness you like, why would you need a thermometer? I could understand using one until you know what times/temps to use but after that it's pretty simple. Grilling is all about learning different methods and experimenting to see what you like best but once you have a method that you like and works for you, it is pretty idiot proof.

I use a thermometer when trying a new method or new cut, but otherwise typically don't.

Reactions: BDL
i use it on big cuts, but a ribeye/ny strip--which are my go-tos-- it's done the way i like it once i get a really good sear. i just like a relatively rare steak. when cooking for others, i generally get no complaints as i just leave it on longer. i think most folks arent particular about their med rare. i think most med rares at restaurants come out too medium anyway.

That's why unless I'm at a cheap or shitty place I almost always order rare nowadays. I trust places to cook to temp and it's better than wasting a great cut on overcooking.

LOL at all of the real men who don't need a thermometer.

Funny, the professional chefs I know all keep an instant read in their pocket and temp their beef. Then again, their job is to get it right and they are proud of their product...they can't afford the 10-15 degree temp variations the big dicked backyard pros around here call good enough.:rofl:

I think you're taking the comments about thermometers a little too personally. Just saying.

Reactions: BDL
Any guy that routinely uses a thermometer to check the doneness of his steaks is not an expert griller to be trusted. That being said, glad to see him destroy some absurdly common myths about cooking steaks.

Agreed. Plus, sorry, I'm not knifing open my steak to look and see if it is done.

I think you're taking the comments about thermometers a little too personally. Just saying.

I may have also just destroyed my steaks tonight, so ummm yeah....

pwned.gif

Yeah, I came back for the flogging. I wrecked those steaks last night.

What do the experts here recommend? I saw the Thermapen, which runs close to $100. Are there any inexpensive options that work almost as well? I don't need a Rolls Royce.

The therma pen and other higher end options work great, but you can pick up a digital instaread therm for like $10 at your local cooking supply, grilling or hardware store. I have a thermapen now, but used to use the cheap-o ones and just throw them away when they crapped out.

I dont understand the aversion to an instaread. Its called that bc its instant.

Yes, I can cook steaks to temp without it, but it takes two seconds, and it will help you cook a better steak. I dont cook the same strips or filets or whatever from the same store everytime, even if you are an 'expert' or just a 'redneck with a weber that's done it a few times', lots of variables like fat content marinade, cut whatever can throw off your instinct or normal read. Why cook a steak to 138 when you could have pulled it at 129?

What do the experts here recommend? I saw the Thermapen, which runs close to $100. Are there any inexpensive options that work almost as well? I don't need a Rolls Royce.

Thermapens will go on sale every now and then. They also sell refurbed Thermapens at a pretty big discount, if I remember correctly.

Either buy the cheapest thing you see in the grocery store or buy a Thermapen. The cheapo options are mostly the same and take a while (30 seconds or so) to give an accurate reading. They get the job done, but there's no reason to do much comparison or shopping around. If you want something quick (i.e. a couple of seconds) and accurate, buy the Thermapen and be done with it. Everything priced between cheapo and Thermapen is just spending more money for a 20 second reading instead of a 30 second...not really worth it.

funny side note- Real Simple magazine has a little margin "tip for the grill!" that says to bring steaks to room temp for more even cooking. I chuckled.

Back