• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

8 Years Ago Today: Grobe to Arkansas

MysteryMen

Scott "Rufio" Feather
Reaction score
Eight years ago today was one of the most prominent moments in the history of the Boards. Share your memories of that fateful night

I just remember constantly refreshing the thread and there would be a dozen new posts in the time in took me to read the last dozen. The posts per minute of that night has to be a record for a Wake board. Maybe topped only by the WVU meltdown.

He got us two more bowl wins. It's not that he should have left, it's that he should have kept his eye on the ball and gotten better OL coaches.

I could not reconcile Grobe's interest in Arkansas with anything he had ever said about his philosophy or what he liked about Wake Forest. Once I realized he was actually considering the job, I was ready to help him pack, with gratitude for all he had done to that point.

In the middle studying for exams that made it difficult to concentrate.

Deac76 is all over it. OL coaching/recruiting doomed Grobe but it isn't like the team fell off the earth. We would take 2011 and run with it right now and 2009 with 5 losses by 13 points total in Skinner's Sr. year was a tough but entertaining year. I have heard some crazy stuff as to the jobs Grobe was offered over the years. Not sure how much is accurate or not.

Yep, in hindsight. Anyone could've come in and kept the ball rolling as well or better than Grobe.

But we all truly believed that Grobe had the magic formula, and we wanted to show that we could hold on to a successful coach.
Even Bz?

was that the second time noted insider donaldross was proven to be full of shit?

sorry. "insider"

I was on a business trip to Amsterdam and stayed up all night refreshing the boards.

Interestingly I was once again in Amsterdam the last 5 days and found myself thinking it had to be close to the anniversary of that crazy night.

it's called "refreshing the boards" now? cool.

Deac76 is all over it. OL coaching/recruiting doomed Grobe but it isn't like the team fell off the earth. We would take 2011 and run with it right now and 2009 with 5 losses by 13 points total in Skinner's Sr. year was a tough but entertaining year. I have heard some crazy stuff as to the jobs Grobe was offered over the years. Not sure how much is accurate or not.
I think the 03 - 05 recruiting classes deserve 90% of the credit for Grobe's success. His entire legacy is based on those 3 classes.

Back